IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 04:48 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Adso
Anyone know if the new wireless Carplay feature will be arriving to the Vlite soon?
We do not plan on updating VT1 with wireless CarPlay. You may use Wireless dongle from Carlinkit. It should be fully compatible with VT1.
Old 02-28-20, 05:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We do not plan on updating VT1 with wireless CarPlay. You may use Wireless dongle from Carlinkit. It should be fully compatible with VT1.
That's disappointing - what was the reason for not bringing this to Vlite?
Old 03-03-20, 09:14 AM
Earffman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vline 2 Upgrade problem!

Originally Posted by gromaudio
You need to update via OTA to the latest version. It should fix the issue.
I recently bought an sd card from you with an upgrade to android 8.1. Following the attached instructions, I downloaded Vline Update to version V2VL1.1.11. The file is downloaded, the device reboots, but when Recovery Mode is turned on, ERROR is written. The item for updating to Android 8.1 also does not appear. What should I do? I will say in advance, a reset to the factory installations, and the installation of Gapps was performed when a problem was detected. But that did not change the situation.

Old 03-03-20, 09:51 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

@earffman You need to file a ticket with @gromaudio support directly . They are very very rarely on these forums, so I do not think they will see your issue .
Old 03-04-20, 04:33 AM
Earffman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound distortion after resetting.

Dear forum users , i have new observation. After resetting the settings that I did on the advice of the GromAudio service, in an attempt to understand why my device is not updating (they still could not understand), I installed the same media players and the same music sources. But the sound is greatly distorted? comes to a wheezing sound. The cassette player in my Lexus LX470 sounds an order of magnitude better. What could be the problem? Who faced this. Previously, the sound was on top.
Old 04-25-20, 01:21 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my IS350, my wife uses the Wireless Carplay, while I use the stock Android features - since I've got a Google Pixel phone. Anyway, the wireless Carplay is great. I even set it to automatically start for her. However, I've ran into a one limitation (not present with wired Carplay): Wireless Carplay - when active - turns off WiFi.

What this means for me is that I'm not able to use stock Google Maps. I'm also now 100% reliant on my wife running the navigation from her phone which is not something I want to do. This mostly happens when wife wants to play her music from her phone.

Is this limitation something that can be worked around in the future?
Old 04-25-20, 03:20 PM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
On my IS350, my wife uses the Wireless Carplay, while I use the stock Android features - since I've got a Google Pixel phone. Anyway, the wireless Carplay is great. I even set it to automatically start for her. However, I've ran into a one limitation (not present with wired Carplay): Wireless Carplay - when active - turns off WiFi.

What this means for me is that I'm not able to use stock Google Maps. I'm also now 100% reliant on my wife running the navigation from her phone which is not something I want to do. This mostly happens when wife wants to play her music from her phone.

Is this limitation something that can be worked around in the future?
It's a limitation on how wireless carplay implementation works.
Old 05-22-20, 01:23 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else running the LEX5 system with the wireless car play installed? I noticed soon after that the system wasn't shutting down, used the car one night and the following morning I left for work and was suprised that the system didn't have to boot up!

Contacted Grom support although when I told them I have the LEX5 they said this was norrmal behaviour and part of the new update. I asked whether this would hit the battery and they told me it would have no affect although I'm a little dubious.

I've had 2 flat batteries since, although I'm not 100% sure its the GROM system to blame, first instance I left an OBD scanner plugged in and powered up so it wasn'tmuch of a suprise. A week later I also had a flat battery although I'm not sure I gave the battery a sufficient charge after it went flat as the LCD on the charger is corrupt.

Anyone else had any issues, good or bad?
The following 2 users liked this post by baviaannl:
GyumDoong (05-22-20), KYLS (06-01-20)
Old 05-22-20, 05:20 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only issue I have with wireless Carplay is that my iPhone tends to "hang on" to the connection when I arrive home and head into the house, since it's still close enough for the wifi to reach. So my phone won't connect to my home wifi because of it, and the audio won't work. I have to manually turn CarPlay off in settings each time. Grom says there's a fix for that coming so when the ignition is turned off so is the CarPlay. Hopefully that comes soon.
The following users liked this post:
GyumDoong (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 11:22 AM
BillNick
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have LEX5 VL2 in my IS250.

Couple of weeks ago I updated to get the wireless car play. Worked great as I sat there and tried after installing. Turned the car off, went indoors.

Next time I used my car and ever since, the unit is not working. I have just stripes on the screen. I can’t even get into recovery mode.

Im also suspicious it’s now draining my battery too as had 2 flats. The 2nd being just 3 days after charging my battery back up from the first time.

GROM have much to answer for with this update. I’m still awaiting a solution from their support team.
The following users liked this post:
GyumDoong (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 04:34 PM
GyumDoong
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baviaannl
Anyone else running the LEX5 system with the wireless car play installed? I noticed soon after that the system wasn't shutting down, used the car one night and the following morning I left for work and was suprised that the system didn't have to boot up!

Contacted Grom support although when I told them I have the LEX5 they said this was norrmal behaviour and part of the new update. I asked whether this would hit the battery and they told me it would have no affect although I'm a little dubious.

I've had 2 flat batteries since, although I'm not 100% sure its the GROM system to blame, first instance I left an OBD scanner plugged in and powered up so it wasn'tmuch of a suprise. A week later I also had a flat battery although I'm not sure I gave the battery a sufficient charge after it went flat as the LCD on the charger is corrupt.

Anyone else had any issues, good or bad?
I definitely think the Vline's the culprit in the battery drain. I had about 3 flats in the last 2 weeks and finally decided to hook up the multimeter to check for parasitic draw. After about 5 min of shutting down the vehicle my multimeter was reading about 150mA, and as soon as I unplug the cable for Vline, it drops to about 30mA. Mine's 2006 IS350 but can't imagine the power draw being too different from ISF

@gromaudio Is this a known issue and is this being looked at? Getting sick of jumping my car every 2 days
The following 2 users liked this post by GyumDoong:
baviaannl (05-30-20), KYLS (06-01-20)
Old 05-30-20, 03:11 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GyumDoong
I definitely think the Vline's the culprit in the battery drain. I had about 3 flats in the last 2 weeks and finally decided to hook up the multimeter to check for parasitic draw. After about 5 min of shutting down the vehicle my multimeter was reading about 150mA, and as soon as I unplug the cable for Vline, it drops to about 30mA. Mine's 2006 IS350 but can't imagine the power draw being too different from ISF

@gromaudio Is this a known issue and is this being looked at? Getting sick of jumping my car every 2 days
It is 100% the Vline... Disconnected the power lead and the battery has been perfect ever since. Been meaning to contact them although got caught up with other things and I guess they have no support at the weekends. If you're reading this @gromaudio can you advise please? Not happy about having a £500 system disconnected for fear of running down my battery!
The following 2 users liked this post by baviaannl:
bob256k (05-30-20), KYLS (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20, 07:58 AM
popz3210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Earffman
Dear forum users , i have new observation. After resetting the settings that I did on the advice of the GromAudio service, in an attempt to understand why my device is not updating (they still could not understand), I installed the same media players and the same music sources. But the sound is greatly distorted? comes to a wheezing sound. The cassette player in my Lexus LX470 sounds an order of magnitude better. What could be the problem? Who faced this. Previously, the sound was on top.
I had a similar issue a few updates back, sound distortion. I thought it was a hardware issue after I performed a reset and update. Nothing helped, then one day an update fixed the sound... Now I'm afraid to update again in fear the issue may come back. Must be some weird software sound issue with the OS.
Old 06-01-20, 10:36 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
It is 100% the Vline... Disconnected the power lead and the battery has been perfect ever since. Been meaning to contact them although got caught up with other things and I guess they have no support at the weekends. If you're reading this @gromaudio can you advise please? Not happy about having a £500 system disconnected for fear of running down my battery!
I opened a ticket with GROM on this early today, for I have also been experiencing battery drain issues for the last few weeks. They initially responded,
"FW56 should not have that problem for the older VL2 units like the one you have."
Then responded to my follow-up question on how I can test it myself with,
"I suggest checking the behavior of the system for upcoming few days. Existing version should be in deep sleep for 24 hours and then go to full shutdown.
We are going to add functionality to prevent such drain in software"
I must say they were quick to respond to the ticket, and seemed to be aware of the problem.

My units are all now at latest; VCore: V2OVL3.19.0.0 VBase: 20.56 (L24). Time will tell if the issue is resolved. From GROM's response, I'm concluding that there are newer hardware batches of VL2 units that did not experience this, but that is only a guess on my part. I recently replace the Interstate battery in my LS460L, for it refused to charge beyond 9v after the second deep discharge that occurred because of this.

What would be the easiest way to test the draw? Previously I would watch the GPS antenna LED as an indicator the unit was in sleep, but I was still having battery issues even with that going out after a few minutes delay (as expected). I suspect I need a way to probe the power harness with a multimeter. If the power harness plug/socket is a standard part then I'd like to build one with an inline power switch and points on the power line(s) where a multimeter could be attached. Thoughts? Seems like something GROM could source and sell, but perhaps they would see that as an admission that they have a QC issue. Regardless, I would like to have a way to check power draw after every update, and although I know I can test draw on the entire circuit at the fuse, I'd prefer a way to test it for just the VL2. It is in the glove box and easily accessed.

Last edited by KYLS; 06-01-20 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Typo/wording, and to include GROM's second response.
Old 06-02-20, 12:53 PM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue listening to music through wireless carplay. I adjusted the volume back and forth (from 100 to 90 then back to 100) and now the issue is gone lol. Been good for a couple days. Besides this, wireless carplay is great!.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?