IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 03:03 AM
armourer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@NothingNew I am Android 8.1 and use MacroDroid, triggered by OEM Bluetooth connection.
The following users liked this post:
NothingNew (08-31-20)
Old 08-30-20, 06:32 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by armourer
This behavior is more car/version of Vline dependent. In my Prius2 this is exactly the case, in RX350 with LEX7VL2 after staring the call the screen goes back to Vline after ~30 seconds, so I still can see GPS while talking using built in Bluetooth.
Its an ISF forum so sadly, like your Prius example, you cant use both at once but good to know like your RX that Vline can work during a call. Hopefully one day this will be available for ISF's in the form of an update or something like that. Dont take too many calls whilst driving so not a big deal for me but for others i could see how it would be annoying.
Its been that long ive used the OEM setup, i cant recall what you can/cant use whilst on a phone call when not in Vline mode either
Old 08-30-20, 06:35 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NothingNew
ISF5L, I would love to know what macro you use that reliably turns on your Android phone's hotspot feature.
Thanks!
As Armourer mentioned, i use the same macro as well. Trigger = device connected bluetooth (to my car bluetooth) as its quick and reliable. Actions = enable hotspot (i use a delay though as ive found with 8.1 mine wont connect if hotspot is on prior to Vline turning on so 15 seconds works great for me). Then can use other actions like disable wifi, keep device awake etc
NothingNew (08-31-20)
Old 09-03-20, 08:56 PM
jleach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tbever;10289570]
Originally Posted by tbever
Help with grom vline2 install 2010 Sequoia Nav E7026 (listed as compatible)!!

I just got the vline 2 and tried to install it in a 2010 Sequoia LTD with JBL nav. Sorry if this is a lexus forum but I couldn't find any toyota forums talking about this.
I connected the vline to the nav unit I believe correctly: the installation instructions did not have an accurate picture of the back of the Sequoia nav unit and were not very helpful. However I think the connectors are all unique and there was no way to connect them incorrectly. The MCFToy connector went into the black female connector (only one is black), and the connector from the car went into the Y adapter on the same cable
The GVMF cable went into the square blue connector (there are 2 blue female connectors, only one will fit). This connector was empty so there was nothing to plug into the other Y of that cable.
When I powered it up, it does not show up at all when I press disc/aux multiple times. I did the five second initialization, waited a minute as per the instructions, and tried again but no go.
As per the instructions it suggested removing the aux/USB connector from the head unit. Of course they did not specify where that was located but through trial and error I identified that cable as being just above the 2 blue connectors.
I tried rebooting with and without the usb connector plugged in, and I tried resetting the head unit by unplugging the negative terminal of the car battery for a complete reboot but the Nav unit did not recognize it.
I know the vline is at least getting power because there is a small green led that is on inside the unit. I double checked the connections on the vline side and they are all tight.
I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Of course it's a weekend and tech support is closed but I did submit a ticket. I don't have much time to mess around with this during the week.

Update: if anyone else runs into this issue: tech support got back to me today on the weekend:

"The Factory USB module needs to be disabled as the GROM VLINE will take its place.
Please leave the female portion of the MFCTOY cable unplug and see if this helps
This will essential disable the factory USB module.

Reconnect that connection you left hanging shown in your "usbconnector.jpg" image, as that is not the factory USB module. That is for some other function of the stereo such as possibly steering wheel control "

So I was able to get it working: unfortunately the Toyota display is so low res it is difficult to see much on the maps. I'm not sure this is going to work out...
Thinking about getting the VLINE VL2 for a Sequoia. You mentioned the screen was low res. What's your take? Is it worth it?
Old 09-04-20, 12:12 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armourer
This behavior is more car/version of Vline dependent. In my Prius2 this is exactly the case, in RX350 with LEX7VL2 after staring the call the screen goes back to Vline after ~30 seconds, so I still can see GPS while talking using built in Bluetooth.
Could you please post a video showing how it switches the display? Do you have to click on any thing? I have an RX350 2016 but I can't get it to work. Desperately need phone call and vl2 navigation screen to be both working...
Old 09-05-20, 07:49 AM
armourer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wx3
Could you please post a video showing how it switches the display? Do you have to click on any thing? I have an RX350 2016 but I can't get it to work. Desperately need phone call and vl2 navigation screen to be both working...
I will try to do it during weekend, but I have 2013 RX, and use LEX7VL2, for 2016 it should be LEX89VL2, check this guide.
So, we are on different generations of Vline and behavior may be different...
Old 09-13-20, 02:53 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is wireless Android Auto ever gonna happen witht he VL2?
Old 09-15-20, 01:42 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
Is wireless Android Auto ever gonna happen witht he VL2?
We are still not seeing stable performance from Google on making WAA through the phones. Very few phones, lots of issues. Once the technology is stabilized and more phones are supported, we will look into implementing into our product.

Last edited by gromaudio; 09-16-20 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 06:16 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

Pretty damn bold considering this thread is basically a dumpster fire.
Old 09-16-20, 12:26 AM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And Grom your support is better??! Yeah right. Your support on they products your sell are really really poor. I suggest you get your house in order before complaining about others.
Old 09-16-20, 01:38 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by roheel
And Grom your support is better??! Yeah right. Your support on they products your sell are really really poor. I suggest you get your house in order before complaining about others.
I would rank Grom support pretty high in tech support hierarchy.. i've seen much worse.
Worst is United.
Best was Gateway 2000 which existed 20 years ago. Man i swear their tech support would have me on the phone for 3 hours straight to reinstall windows/drivers, etc.
Old 09-16-20, 08:16 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Please note that we do support our products. You did not buy a product from us the first place. It was old model, out of warranty, broken and we still worked with you to resolve the issue.
Old 09-16-20, 08:33 AM
dnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People in this thread are incredibly whiny. Grom's VLine VL2 works flawlessly in my car. I've been able to easily reach US-based support engineers on the phone to get answers about capabilities, and I've seen where other owners who encountered bugs got Grom to push out an update to fix them within a week or two. They're also correct that Google isn't doing very well supporting Android Auto, especially with wireless -- look up user forums, you won't find many people happy with the performance of wireless AA.
WillAP1 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 08:46 AM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Please note that we do support our products. You did not buy a product from us the first place. It was old model, out of warranty, broken and we still worked with you to resolve the issue.
leta get the facts straight here, it was bought from your UK store and proof of purchase was provided to you.
Old 09-21-20, 06:55 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dnn
People in this thread are incredibly whiny. Grom's VLine VL2 works flawlessly in my car. I've been able to easily reach US-based support engineers on the phone to get answers about capabilities, and I've seen where other owners who encountered bugs got Grom to push out an update to fix them within a week or two. They're also correct that Google isn't doing very well supporting Android Auto, especially with wireless -- look up user forums, you won't find many people happy with the performance of wireless AA.
I take it you work for Grom or know someone who does? That is just about the funniest thing I've read in this thread (if you take away the official Grom account talking about timelines). They have an awesome product - they are a terrible company. You can't talk to support on the phone - don't lie. It's an asynchronous email based system. They promise things that they don't fulfill (timelines on fixes, when items will ship, etc). They offered VL2 users Android 7 upgradeable OTA when they ordered. After over a year - sorry - we're going to do Android 8 and by the way, all of you early adopters who supported us and that we promised this to - you have to pay for the update.

Last edited by rehr0001; 09-22-20 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rehr0001:
roheel (09-21-20), wildta (09-26-20)

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?