IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20 | 05:54 PM
BennyISF
Driver

New Grom Vline 2 for a 2008 is giving me start up issues the screen is black when I turn the car on and I have to power cycle the radio for the Grom to start showing on the screen and there’s audio hiss when I have get the volume over 40. I have software update V20VL3.23.0.0 and Vbase 20.49(L22)
Old 09-26-20 | 10:37 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF5L
I would of thought this more a software vs hardware issue. i.e. Grom support should be able to provide a download link for an updated hex file. You then rename it, copy onto a USB flashdrive and plug direct into the Vline via lower USB2 port (lower one). When booting up, it will detect the firmware file and flash your vline. Not long after it should reboot and if the firmware helps, it would resolve your issue.
Try flashing to an older firmware that you know worked on your unit. You're going to have to do it blindly because obviously your screen isn't working due to faulty firmware update/software issue. This has worked for me in the past and I'm hoping you are having the same issue like mine where it appears bricked but it's just bad software update/firmware. I think you have to "select OK" to upgrade firmware after you insert eh USB stick and turn it on, so on top of those usualy steps I just plugged in a USB keyboard and hit enter very slowly assuming it was confirming the "OK to update" via a physical keyboard button since you can't see the soft button to push..
Old 09-29-20 | 04:45 AM
Dakasoldo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Yes it can do this via Car play or Android Auto. Use a macro to enable hotspot automatically and you truly wont need to take out your phone at all.
Once connected, (for example Android Auto), then you can bring up your contacts (need to grant relevant permissions etc) and pick a contact, or use the dialler or just use voice commands to dial someone.
During the call though it reverts to OEM setup on screen so you basically couldnt be using Waze for navigation and talk in a phone call at the same time. Once the call is over, whatever screen you were on last thought comes back
Hello,
does android car without cable work on toyota land cruiser 120 2008 yers? Vline 2 LEX5VL2?
Old 09-30-20 | 06:29 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Originally Posted by wildta
Try flashing to an older firmware that you know worked on your unit. You're going to have to do it blindly because obviously your screen isn't working due to faulty firmware update/software issue. This has worked for me in the past and I'm hoping you are having the same issue like mine where it appears bricked but it's just bad software update/firmware. I think you have to "select OK" to upgrade firmware after you insert eh USB stick and turn it on, so on top of those usualy steps I just plugged in a USB keyboard and hit enter very slowly assuming it was confirming the "OK to update" via a physical keyboard button since you can't see the soft button to push..
my unit works fine but the issue I keep getting is that every single time I turn my car on the the Vline Home Screen pops up and than reboots. If I turn the car on ACC mode and then power the car on the Vline loads up to the Home Screen and doesn’t reboot and than works almost immediately. Sometimes with it reboots the screen stays black and I have to power cycle the radio for the Vline software to show on the screen. I contact Grom with no success To get the firmware update from them they have completely ignored my messages for a firmware update.
Old 10-06-20 | 02:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

For anyone considering buying a VLINE,

I spent 2 months going back and forth with GROM over a defective unit. They finally said sent it back. A month later, I still have no unit, no refund, and no timeline of when I will get anything.

I have been told they are waiting for an updated part, which either means (a) they are sending me back the unit I sent them, even though they said they would send me a new replacement, or (b) all similar units are defective.

I get having teething problems, but that is no excuse for 2 months of a malfunctioning unit, and one month of nothing at all, with no projected end in sight.

If wanted this kind of customer support, I would have spent half the money on a Chinese Ebay unit.
Old 10-06-20 | 02:35 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXGS

I spent 2 months going back and forth with GROM over a defective unit. They finally said sent it back. A month later, I still have no unit, no refund, and no timeline of when I will get anything.

I have been told they are waiting for an updated part, which either means (a) they are sending me back the unit I sent them, even though they said they would send me a new replacement, or (b) all similar units are defective.

I get having teething problems, but that is no excuse for 2 months of a malfunctioning unit, and one month of nothing at all, with no projected end in sight.

If wanted this kind of customer support, I would have spent half the money on a Chinese Ebay unit.
Are you oblivious to what is going on in the world? Many manufacturers (especially electronics ones) have delays due to Covid. I've criticized Grom a lot but now is not the best time to have high expectations for stuff like this and its entirely possible the supply problem has 0% fault for Grom.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20 | 03:01 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by RXGS

Thank you for using GROM product. We apologize for the inconvenience of the delay with the warranty replacement that you experience. We do have a backlog of the orders due to the delay at the contract manufacturer, and currently we are working to clear this backlog. If you will DM us with your information such as name, email or RMA number, we will check the status of what is going on with your specific replacement.
Old 10-06-20 | 04:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Are you oblivious to what is going on in the world? Many manufacturers (especially electronics ones) have delays due to Covid. I've criticized Grom a lot but now is not the best time to have high expectations for stuff like this and its entirely possible the supply problem has 0% fault for Grom.
I’m sorry, but two months of GROM telling me to simply unplug and replug the unit back in, or telling me to take pictures to show that the updates they sent did not work, would not be impacted by COVID at all.

Additionally, I was originally told a replacement unit would be sent out immediately upon receipt of the defective unit, well into the COVID pandemic.

My issues may be related to COVID, but they primarily stem from their poor support. Additionally, GROM units continue to be shipped out, yet I can’t get one? Whether it’s for an order, or a warranty replacement, it should not matter. If they are replacing a piece of the unit I sent back, with a piece that they are waiting for, I (a) should have told that to begin with and (b) would have asked for a refund.

Peoples’ issues with GROM as a company, stem back to long before COVID

The following 2 users liked this post by RXGS:
ISFpowered (10-07-20), wx3 (10-25-20)
Old 10-24-20 | 11:15 PM
djovaniii
Rookie

Well, looks like I am the only one that is really happy with the purchase.
Vline is working good in my car, and beside the audio volume and missing ACC the solution is great for the money.
Most likely I just had the right expectations, Grom are not producing with the mass scale of the phone companies, most of which sell more phones on a daily based than all sells Grom have made.
But overall it's working for Waze, Spotify and Youtube , so although I can see a lot of people complaining, it does deliver what I needed
Furthermore I can see that developers are working hard on doing it better with having all those updates.
So obviously with this very limited market, they are delivering an okay product.
I really doubt that there are more than 20-30 people working for them. So having that said, I didn't expect a customer service as good as most of the corporations have, but have a valid warranty.
And just the knowledge that if goes bad, there will be someone to check it.

Last edited by djovaniii; 10-24-20 at 11:24 PM.
gromaudio (10-25-20)
Old 10-26-20 | 06:03 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by djovaniii
Well, looks like I am the only one that is really happy with the purchase.
Vline is working good in my car, and beside the audio volume and missing ACC the solution is great for the money.
Most likely I just had the right expectations, Grom are not producing with the mass scale of the phone companies, most of which sell more phones on a daily based than all sells Grom have made.
But overall it's working for Waze, Spotify and Youtube , so although I can see a lot of people complaining, it does deliver what I needed
Furthermore I can see that developers are working hard on doing it better with having all those updates.
So obviously with this very limited market, they are delivering an okay product.
I really doubt that there are more than 20-30 people working for them. So having that said, I didn't expect a customer service as good as most of the corporations have, but have a valid warranty.
And just the knowledge that if goes bad, there will be someone to check it.
Good customer service doesn’t require a lot of people. They just don’t care about their customers, period. They care about selling vline units. They deserve all the bad feedback they are getting.
Old 11-04-20 | 10:34 PM
Lokitsdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GyumDoong
I definitely think the Vline's the culprit in the battery drain. I had about 3 flats in the last 2 weeks and finally decided to hook up the multimeter to check for parasitic draw. After about 5 min of shutting down the vehicle my multimeter was reading about 150mA, and as soon as I unplug the cable for Vline, it drops to about 30mA. Mine's 2006 IS350 but can't imagine the power draw being too different from ISF

@gromaudio Is this a known issue and is this being looked at? Getting sick of jumping my car every 2 days
I am having the same issues it’s been 3 weeks since the install and my car has been jump twice and today it barely had enough juice to start the car.
Old 11-25-20 | 06:39 AM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

So I just picked up an 08 IS F. I scanned this entire thread, and I'd be remiss if I said I wasn't worried about pulling the trigger to make the purchase. From dead units to battery drain to bad customer service, I am a little nervous. Right now I am leaning towards an after market headunit mounted with the Beat Sonic kit.
Old 11-25-20 | 08:51 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cm6063
So I just picked up an 08 IS F. I scanned this entire thread, and I'd be remiss if I said I wasn't worried about pulling the trigger to make the purchase. From dead units to battery drain to bad customer service, I am a little nervous. Right now I am leaning towards an after market headunit mounted with the Beat Sonic kit.
As far as the functionality you will get out of the unit itself I'm pretty confident a separate aftermarket unit will function much better. However, it will look nowhere near as OEM and obviously doesn't really interface with the OEM systems much/at all either. If you are ok with making those sacrifices then that is probably the way to go for you. If I was, I know I would go that route but the look and being a little further out of normal reach/eyesight was/is a deal breaker for me personally. I wish there was a way to swap the location of the OEM unit and the aftermarket one, but alas... no such options available.
cm6063 (11-25-20)
Old 11-25-20 | 09:08 AM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WillAP1
As far as the functionality you will get out of the unit itself I'm pretty confident a separate aftermarket unit will function much better. However, it will look nowhere near as OEM and obviously doesn't really interface with the OEM systems much/at all either. If you are ok with making those sacrifices then that is probably the way to go for you. If I was, I know I would go that route but the look and being a little further out of normal reach/eyesight was/is a deal breaker for me personally. I wish there was a way to swap the location of the OEM unit and the aftermarket one, but alas... no such options available.
I really do love the clean OEM look. But I dont think the BeatSonic placement is bad by any means. I am just so torn, ya know. If I did go beatsonic, I would obviously keep the OE head unit and revert it back to OE if I ever sold the car. However, I love this car, and I may never get rid of it. I sat in my garage just staring and admiring it for an hour. I remember being a 21 year old kid with a riced out Honda Civic dreaming of owning cars like these. Now that I am 36, I own a car that is just so damn cool. I want to make it my own, but at the same time, I also want to pay homage to the car itself by not taking it too far.

Decisions decisions.
Old 11-25-20 | 02:34 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Thanks all of you for the interest in GROM VLine system, and for the feedback. We read all of it, and working hard to improve the product and our services. We do truly appreciate all our customers, and we specially love when the customers are happy. Happy Thanksgiving to all you, stay safe and ...drive happy!

We also have the latest video of the install into Lexus GX 460 2015, if there are some Lexus GX drivers in this thread:

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?