IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by mferg02
Anyone else have issues with the grom sometimes not showing up when starting vehicle? I occasionally have to restart my car to get it to work. Just curious if this is a common issue.
Plenty of quirks. You'll hate YouTube music if you run it on this unit. Navigating it is a nightmare on a good day. Android Auto requires manual intervention every time you connect to allow BT to access Internet on your phone despite setting up a "routine" on my Samsung S23 Ultra. I turned it off. Too annoying. I now have it configured to connect to my phone's tethered connection using a routine and it's pretty seamless, but it's not as enabled as Android Auto. I'm really wondering now if the Tesla style unit might be more to my liking, but I am concerned no one here with an IS F has successfully installed one of those.
Old 07-12-23, 10:44 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Anyone else have issues with the grom sometimes not showing up when starting vehicle? I occasionally have to restart my car to get it to work. Just curious if this is a common issue.
Are you using the VL1 or VL2? Had this issue with the VL1 in the past but not the VL2.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Plenty of quirks. You'll hate YouTube music if you run it on this unit. Navigating it is a nightmare on a good day. Android Auto requires manual intervention every time you connect to allow BT to access Internet on your phone despite setting up a "routine" on my Samsung S23 Ultra. I turned it off. Too annoying. I now have it configured to connect to my phone's tethered connection using a routine and it's pretty seamless, but it's not as enabled as Android Auto. I'm really wondering now if the Tesla style unit might be more to my liking, but I am concerned no one here with an IS F has successfully installed one of those.
Might be something specific to your phone and/or Samsung's flavor of Android? I do not have this issue. Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of Android... every OEM can/does implement things slightly differently and thus inconsistencies/bugs like this occur. As much as I despise Apple, this is definitely an advantage for them.

But anyways, yeah, Android Auto works wirelessly with 0 manual intervention for me. I just get in the car and go. Have been very happy with the experience of the VL2 since upgrading ~1 year ago with very limited quirkiness. Though I admit I do use it exclusively for Android Auto and none of the other apps that run on the Vline.

Last edited by WillAP1; 07-12-23 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 10:11 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

We recommend the following:
1. Make sure you are on the latest firmware and software versions. Here is the video on how to check and update the firmware and software:
You will need to connect to Wi-Fi first.

2. If both software and firmware on the VLine unit are up to date, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html and let them know. They will check your specific configuration and help.
Old 07-13-23, 10:16 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Plenty of quirks. You'll hate YouTube music if you run it on this unit. Navigating it is a nightmare on a good day. Android Auto requires manual intervention every time you connect to allow BT to access Internet on your phone despite setting up a "routine" on my Samsung S23 Ultra. I turned it off. Too annoying. I now have it configured to connect to my phone's tethered connection using a routine and it's pretty seamless, but it's not as enabled as Android Auto.
If you have troubles with Android Auto wireless connectivity you might want to use wired via USB instead. As for the stand-alone VLine functions, you need to check your internet source to make sure you get stable internet connectivity for navigation.
Old 07-13-23, 01:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I don't have any troubles with connectivity once I am connected. Android Auto on BT requires me to pick up the phone and allow BT access to the Internet every time I connect. If I miss the notification, it's all for naught, it just won't work without restarting the system. I turned off Android Auto entirely. I now have a Samsung routine to turn on tethering when the BT connect to the car happens, and the VLine 2 is connecting to the internet pretty seamlessly, which was my original goal. Get in the car with the phone and everything just works. I have no interest in connecting to USB cables, that's another step I don't want to take. I literally want to get in the car with the phone and have everything work, and I am there now for the most part. Navigating YouTube Music is still pretty clunky, and it appears to be because the screen doesn't show all the tools you would normally see, like the critical upper right three dots. This is the same with Android Auto. My 10 year old is trying every option visible and still unable to get to the home screen to search for something he wants to hear. I suspect Pandora and Spotify do not have these issues, but I don't subscribe to their services because I already have YouTube Premium and it includes YouTube Music with zero ads.
Old 07-13-23, 01:42 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

I don't have any troubles with connectivity once I am connected. Android Auto on BT requires me to pick up the phone and allow BT access to the Internet every time I connect. If I miss the notification, it's all for naught, it just won't work without restarting the system. .
Check to make sure you have the Activate AAuto UI set to automatically (upon connect), see on the photo the location of the setting.

Android Auto connection page

You can also reset the connection as shown here:

and make sure your system is on the latest firmware and software:

Here is how to set up the Samsung routines that you already did: https://gromaudio.com/blog/2023/02/s...te-how-to-fix/

And if you need any help, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 07-13-23, 02:02 PM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When is a later OS coming? We have been waiting for so long?
joedaddy1 (09-05-23)
Old 07-13-23, 02:04 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Same. When is the OS update coming out? This fall?
Old 07-13-23, 02:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Check to make sure you have the Activate AAuto UI set to automatically (upon connect), see on the photo the location of the setting.

Android Auto connection page

You can also reset the connection as shown here:
https://youtu.be/BIQKCF87Yqk

and make sure your system is on the latest firmware and software:
https://youtu.be/UrQ2TWJ5v1Q

Here is how to set up the Samsung routines that you already did: https://gromaudio.com/blog/2023/02/s...te-how-to-fix/

And if you need any help, contact our technical team at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Yup. Did all that. Samsung always prompts for allowing BT to connect to the Internet even with the routine you showed set up exactly as your support team recommends. It's not a VLine issue, it's a Samsung permissions issue and I've not been able to find a workaround for it on a factory phone build. I might be able to solve this by jailbreaking the phone, but I don't play in that space anymore. It's a whole lot easier to using Driving mode and have it turn on tethering, but that doesn't make Android Auto work, and I now prefer the larger display available with the smallish screen in the IS F not divided up between apps the way AA does it.
gromaudio (07-13-23)
Old 07-19-23, 02:43 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

The group buy order for VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems to add CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory car stereo will close tomorrow midnight. Tomorrow is the last day to join the group and place the order. If you would like to join the group buy, send us your name and email address via direct message. We will add you to the group.

You can also contact is via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 08-01-23, 09:00 AM
superspeed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious anyone try the Vlite for 2011 Lexus isf? i only want the carplay function.
gromaudio (08-01-23)
Old 08-25-23, 01:14 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Here are two our latest videos for the installation and demo. VLite VT2 for CarPlay and Android Auto in Lexus IS 2011:
Install:

Demo:

The demo video is made for VLite VT2 to show how it functions when connected to the factory stereo of 2011 Lexus IS. The CarPlay and Android Auto operation is the same for VLine VL2 and VLite VT2, the installation steps are also the same. Let us know if you have any questions!
Old 08-26-23, 11:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Still on Android 8? Sad. It's rife with security vulnerabilities.
Old 08-28-23, 04:02 AM
ubersonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Still on Android 8? Sad. It's rife with security vulnerabilities.
TBH if somebody breaks into my garage then into my car the idea of them plugging into the USB on my Grom unit an stealing my Waze login isn't really that high on my list of worries xD
The following 3 users liked this post by ubersonic:
armourer (08-28-23), doitup (08-29-23), inovashn (08-28-23)
Old 08-28-23, 09:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ubersonic
TBH if somebody breaks into my garage then into my car the idea of them plugging into the USB on my Grom unit an stealing my Waze login isn't really that high on my list of worries xD
Right until you download something from the Playstore that's a malware source.

Your mindset is why cybersecurity is so difficult.
nigel821 (08-28-23)

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?