IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 09:26 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for a few years with absolutely no problems at all. Not only that, when I purchased my VLINE VL2, I had purchased it for one Lexus vehicle and a few months later, traded in the vehicle. I removed the unit and asked GROM if I could install it into new "newer" Lexus. They were amazing to work with. Purchased new wiring harness from them, they sent me new firmware for the unit, and away I went with it installed in different vehicle than the one I had purchased it for. They're awesome to work with.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-19-24 at 10:35 AM. Reason: No sales in the main forums.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:37 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Thank you for the feedback, we are happy to hear the system worked well for you!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-19-24 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Not relevant after editing For Sale post
Old 01-18-24, 09:44 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Also, today and tomorrow are the last days to join the group order. The ordering period ends on January 19th at midnight. It is your chance to save on CarPlay / Android Auto add on to your car stereo! PM us with your email address if you are interested to join the group, or send us the email via web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 01-23-24, 12:07 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Recent installation video into the 2008 Lexus ISF:

The installation is the same for the IS 250 350 F 2006-2009, will work for the stereos with LCD Display. In the video we demo how to route the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 main unit inside the glove compartment, as this is where we recommend to secure it. and how to install GPS antenna so it is not visible, yet there are no metal parts obstructing the signal
Old 01-24-24, 01:22 AM
Aussie2URGSE
2nd gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Recent installation video into the 2008 Lexus ISF:
https://youtu.be/pvuQcpU2Frw

The installation is the same for the IS 250 350 F 2006-2009, will work for the stereos with LCD Display. In the video we demo how to route the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 main unit inside the glove compartment, as this is where we recommend to secure it. and how to install GPS antenna so it is not visible, yet there are no metal parts obstructing the signal
Nooooo … I’d highly recommend anyone taking out the standard head unit to not use pry tools to remove the centre vent in a 2IS as documented in the GROM video. The dash pads are too soft and fragile. Go full Neanderthal and use long nose pliers:

In my view, best not to get a pry tool anywhere near a 2IS dash pad

Also for the mic, consider mounting in the overhead light/switch panel:

What does the GPS aerial do: saves phone battery life … hmmmmmm

otherwise, great video! The steps on the glovebox removal, routing the cable loom and mounting the unit are well documented here.

CarPlay in the ISF makes for a great driving experience. Enjoy!
The following 5 users liked this post by Aussie2URGSE:
ackshen (03-06-24), DanceEng (03-05-24), gromaudio (01-24-24), lobuxracer (01-24-24), TheNaeblis (03-02-24)
Old 02-07-24, 06:56 AM
d1sturb3d1
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a great upgrade! Easily fixes an annoying issue.
Old 03-05-24, 01:43 PM
ackshen
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone who has done this mic placement on the ISF let me know if you followed the same technique for the mic install in the excess area with the screen if you have the sunroof controls / sunglass holder up there? (The video shows a RHD one with no sunglass holder) I was checking mine vs. the video, inside the sunglass holder are two screws behind two little flaps - assume if I remove those, I can lower the whole assembly, with maybe a little prying from the rear of the unit? Was just wondering if there's space up there for the sunroof equipped models to hide the mic in this fashion given all the extra wiring. Looks like a number of folks have instead just opted to leave the mic visible next to the rear view mirror, just sticking out from the headliner.

Also can't tell exactly how folks are routing up the A pillar - driver side or passenger side? and what are you using as the pass through from the display to access the A Pillar?

Thanks in advance, excited to tackle this one this week.

Last edited by ackshen; 03-05-24 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 03-05-24, 02:06 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ackshen
Can anyone who has done this mic placement on the ISF let me know if you followed the same technique for the mic install in the excess area with the screen if you have the sunroof controls / sunglass holder up there? (The video shows a RHD one with no sunglass holder) I was checking mine vs. the video, inside the sunglass holder are two screws behind two little flaps - assume if I remove those, I can lower the whole assembly, with maybe a little prying from the rear of the unit? Was just wondering if there's space up there for the sunroof equipped models to hide the mic in this fashion given all the extra wiring. Looks like a number of folks have instead just opted to leave the mic visible next to the rear view mirror, just sticking out from the headliner.

Also can't tell exactly how folks are routing up the A pillar - driver side or passenger side? and what are you using as the pass through from the display to access the A Pillar?

Thanks in advance, excited to tackle this one this week.
If you are doing a MIC replacement then I would recommend getting this exact MIC replacement as it is direct fit. https://shop.enfigcarstereo.com/product/enfig-mic-toy1/

I was installing mine for an Android Radio headunit but I ran it up the drivers side a pillar from the radio. The cable of the included MIC was plenty long and the piece snaps in place exactly like the OEM one.

Not a ton of pictures on the routing of it but you can see how it fits the factory piece and one picture of pulling the wire in my build here. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post11569317
ackshen (03-06-24)
Old 03-05-24, 02:12 PM
ackshen
Driver School Candidate

When I contacted Grom I was told I needed to replace the factory mic (assuming it's not a 3.5mm jack, like the vLite needs or something) and bought one with the package along with my vLite VT2 - but that raises a great question - if I have the existing bluetooth mic, I assume it plugs into the factory head unit somewhere, is it just that it's a different connection? When you did yours for the Android head unit, just confirming, you took the factory mic out and did a full replacement, so it went into the same screen/speaker grille up in the overhead accessory panel next to the sunroof?
Old 03-06-24, 04:50 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

When I contacted Grom I was told I needed to replace the factory mic (assuming it's not a 3.5mm jack, like the vLite needs or something) and bought one with the package along with my vLite VT2 - but that raises a great question - if I have the existing bluetooth mic, I assume it plugs into the factory head unit somewhere, is it just that it's a different connection? When you did yours for the Android head unit, just confirming, you took the factory mic out and did a full replacement, so it went into the same screen/speaker grille up in the overhead accessory panel next to the sunroof?
Sorry, I didn't think about the fact you would still need the factory mic. If you look at the picture of the back side of the lights and sunroof control. There appears to be a second port. The piece seems like it was made for both LHD and RHD cars. I would have to run back out to my car and see but I believe the open holes to allow sound through are on both sides as well. What I am saying here is you should be able to install a mic in one of those holes for the from and leave the factor in the other other. Or even put the new mic in the location closest to the driver but still retain the factory MIC in the other slot.
inovashn (03-06-24)
Old 03-06-24, 06:54 AM
ackshen
Driver School Candidate

Yep, so I got everything out and all cable ran last night, with the exception of the mic in the sunroof control / sunglass holder. It looks like those screws under the ports in the sunglass holder need to come out, then I assume I can lower the entire unit and run the mic to the unused port. Anyone that has done this - did you move the factory mic into the other slot, and place the Grom mic in the slot closest to the driver, or did you just use the empty slot on the passenger side for the Grom mic? Assume there's not much of a difference, but wanted to check to see if anyone had an experience with it either way. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-24, 10:59 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I can tell you I left the factory mic when replacing all my stereo stuff (headunit speakers amp etc)
I will say of all the cars/trucks/suvs I've owned all have had a aftermarket mic setup in them.
This is by far the hardest one for someone to hear me out of.
I don't know if its because its that much further over, the angle, the supplied alpine mic etc
If I was to do it again, I would move the factory one to the RHD drive postion (or remove it in my case) and install the new one closest to the driver.
Old 03-07-24, 09:59 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

It seems there needs to be a better understanding. You do not need to replace the factory microphone. You simply use the microphone we supply with the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 for CarPlay / Android Auto, and leave the factory microphone the way it is. You do not have to remove the factory microphone or fumble with it anyhow.
Please follow our install guide.
Old 03-07-24, 10:01 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Here is the explainer video on how to route the microphone for VLine VL2 / VLite VT2:
Old 03-07-24, 10:25 AM
ackshen
Driver School Candidate

Yep I got it fully installed last night. I left the factory mic as-is and mounted the secondary mic next to the rear view mirror. I wasn't clear if the factory mic still drove phone calls in some form or another now, but it's all clear, everything runs through the VLite. Install went well, nothing unexpected and super impressed with the unit so far - amazing upgrade from 2008 into the modern infotainment era.
gromaudio (03-07-24)

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?