IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 10:26 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

We will have the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system starting on March 12th. Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until March 20th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order.

The product will ship from the end of March to early April. If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?
The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?
Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html
Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send us the request via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

Wireless CarPlay on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.

Wireless Android Auto on the factory car stereo of Lexus GS 350 2016-2020, using GROM VLine VL2 system.

Old 03-07-24, 10:46 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by ackshen
Yep I got it fully installed last night. I left the factory mic as-is and mounted the secondary mic next to the rear view mirror. I wasn't clear if the factory mic still drove phone calls in some form or another now, but it's all clear, everything runs through the VLite. Install went well, nothing unexpected and super impressed with the unit so far - amazing upgrade from 2008 into the modern infotainment era.
Thank you for your feedback!
Old 05-01-24, 12:32 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Hello all,

We will have the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system starting on May 8th. Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until May 17h. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order.

The product will ship after May 25th. If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?
The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?
Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html
Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send us the request via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

CarPlay on factory Lexus car stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system

Wireless CarPlay on factory Lexus GX 2014-2021 car stereo, using GROM VLine VL2 System

Last edited by gromaudio; 05-01-24 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-09-24, 11:31 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Still on Android 8? Sad. It's rife with security vulnerabilities.
not sure how I feel about being charged for an update, but it looks like android 12 is coming. 12 is the oldest version that is still officially supported, 14 being the newest.

https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...ta-update.html

Last edited by 93MSB; 06-09-24 at 11:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 93MSB:
gromaudio (06-10-24), lobuxracer (06-10-24), nigel821 (06-10-24)
Old 06-11-24, 02:27 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
not sure how I feel about being charged for an update, but it looks like android 12 is coming. 12 is the oldest version that is still officially supported, 14 being the newest.

https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...ta-update.html
Yeah - luckily it is only $25 or so. I feel like that will get us additional tech support and compatibility and apps will eventually not work on an older OS. I will probably do the upgrade for those reasons.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (06-11-24)
Old 06-11-24, 07:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Just paid for the upgrade. I'm hoping this stops the random mystery lock ups requiring a full restart to get back to business.

Oh - don't be confused. Your cart will say no shipping charges, but when the invoice shows up, they're getting $7.85 for shipping an OTA update.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-11-24 at 08:05 PM.
gromaudio (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 09:26 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Just paid for the upgrade. I'm hoping this stops the random mystery lock ups requiring a full restart to get back to business.

Oh - don't be confused. Your cart will say no shipping charges, but when the invoice shows up, they're getting $7.85 for shipping an OTA update.

The shipping charge applies as there is the limitation of the customization with PayPal checkout. If you used PayPal to process the payment, they apply the shipping charge. We will refund it, as there is no shipping for the OTA upgrade. Simply contact us at https://gromaudio.com/support.html and we will quickly arrange for it.
Old 06-12-24, 09:29 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Ensure your system is fully up to date regarding to the software and firmware. Here is how to check and apply the latest updates:
Old 06-12-24, 03:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Ensure your system is fully up to date regarding to the software and firmware. Here is how to check and apply the latest updates:
https://youtu.be/UrQ2TWJ5v1Q
Already did that many times. I check all my devices regularly for updates. I work in cybersecurity, so for me it's a must. The unit still has times when it literally blacks out and is completely unresponsive until it reboots mostly on long drives over an hour.
Old 06-13-24, 05:05 PM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts

Already did that many times. I check all my devices regularly for updates. I work in cybersecurity, so for me it's a must. The unit still has times when it literally blacks out and is completely unresponsive until it reboots mostly on long drives over an hour.
Where is your Grom installed? The glovebox?
My Grom would do that also on long road trips. It is installed in my glovebox. It would run extremely hot in there and if the heater is on hot air would funnel in there also. I open my glovebox on long trips it helps circulation and mine shuts off a little less and doesn't get hung up on processes as often.
Old 06-13-24, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Toprawman
My Grom would do that also on long road trips. It is installed in my glovebox. It would run extremely hot in there and if the heater is on hot air would funnel in there also. I open my glovebox on long trips it helps circulation and mine shuts off a little less and doesn't get hung up on processes as often.
Yup. Glovebox. No other place to put it short of removing the entire dash and having the unit completely inaccessible. The '08s have the skid control ECU under the blower motor unlike the later models, so there really isn't any place else.
Old 06-13-24, 09:20 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Yup. Glovebox. No other place to put it short of removing the entire dash and having the unit completely inaccessible. The '08s have the skid control ECU under the blower motor unlike the later models, so there really isn't any place else.
If its really a heat issue and the glovebox is the best/only option, might could try something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Bought that recently for a fanless mini PC I'm using as a router and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made to temps, even on the lowest setting. Most people 3D print some kind of mounting mechanism but it comes with rubber feet so I just sat mine on top and it works just fine... I imagine it could be used similarly with the VLine.
Old 06-14-24, 08:05 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts

Definitely not the only place to mount it. I've seen it mounted underneath the glove box on the passenger side pillar. It would get tons of circulation there.
Old 06-14-24, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Definitely not the only place to mount it. I've seen it mounted underneath the glove box on the passenger side pillar. It would get tons of circulation there.
Depends on your MY. I tried a bunch of options. Glovebox was the only one for a MY '08 that worked and allowed access to the unit without significant disassembly.
gromaudio (06-18-24)
Old 06-14-24, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by gromaudio
The shipping charge applies as there is the limitation of the customization with PayPal checkout. If you used PayPal to process the payment, they apply the shipping charge. We will refund it, as there is no shipping for the OTA upgrade. Simply contact us at https://gromaudio.com/support.html and we will quickly arrange for it.
GROM refunded the shipping today. Thanks!
gromaudio (06-18-24)

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?