IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-24, 11:25 AM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just noticed a new bug on the latest firmware of 20.71, CarPlay starts getting pixelated which is much more noticeable when using a navigation app like Apple Maps, Waze etc.

Going back to the vline screen and back into CarPlay resolves the issue for about 5 min and then it starts pixelation again.

Tried with three different iPhones and all have this issue. Not an iOS thing it seems as they the others are on 17.6 and have the issue since this update.

I tried my phone in various other cars using CarPlay away from vline, no issues at all. This is including a Pioneer headunit.

Ticket logged to Grom so watch this space.
Old 08-11-24, 01:13 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have not tried Android Auto on the new build. I imagine that's where I'd see the biggest differences.
whoa. What differences would AA get? I always thought AA was phone dependent. Might have to upgrade if I’m wrong 😑
Old 08-11-24, 04:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Your AA version is OS dependent as well.
Old 08-12-24, 08:02 AM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roheel
Just noticed a new bug on the latest firmware of 20.71, CarPlay starts getting pixelated which is much more noticeable when using a navigation app like Apple Maps, Waze etc.

Going back to the vline screen and back into CarPlay resolves the issue for about 5 min and then it starts pixelation again.

Tried with three different iPhones and all have this issue. Not an iOS thing it seems as they the others are on 17.6 and have the issue since this update.

I tried my phone in various other cars using CarPlay away from vline, no issues at all. This is including a Pioneer headunit.

Ticket logged to Grom so watch this space.
Grom are aware of the issue and are working on a fix
Old 08-18-24, 08:14 AM
armourer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've been on it for a while now. The interface change puts a control icon in the middle left that occasionally hides menu choices on apps, but otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any change in functionality. Getting the device back up and running correctly was no small feat and like you said, takes over an hour just to get the update done, then restoring apps and configuring is like any new phone adventure without a data transfer. They recommend backing up to Google Cloud before doing the update. I didn't do this as I wanted more of a clean install, but it likely would have saved some time.

I have not tried Android Auto on the new build. I imagine that's where I'd see the biggest differences. I don't run AA simply because I don't get access to OBDLink on AA and I'd rather have gauges on screen most of the time.
Can you please share a few screenshots how Android 12 interface looks like ?
Old 08-27-24, 06:42 AM
DzLex
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Grom unit but haven't updated yet, but do plan on doing so. Glad to have found this thread.
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (08-27-24)
Old 08-28-24, 08:03 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Is it possible to get firmware and software update for Grom VLine gen 1? I'd love to throw this thing in the trash but I'm stuck with it
Old 09-11-24, 01:42 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi all,Tomorrow we are starting the next group buy order for the GROM VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system!

Both systems will add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the factory stereo of your Lexus vehicle. The group ordering period will run until September 20th. The group order participants will receive a special discount code for $120 off the VLine VL2 or $70 off the VLite VT2. Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 will be available under the group order. The VLine VL2 units ordered within this group order period will also receive free Android 12 upgrade!

The product will ship from the end of September to early October.

If you want to participate in the upcoming group order, please send us a private message with your name and email address, and we will add you to the group order list. There is no obligation to order within the group. You can also send us the request to join the group order via our website contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html Both VLine VL2 and VLite VT2 systems offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. Contact us with any questions, and we will be happy to help!

Some of the frequently asked questions are:

1. What is the difference between GROM VLine VL2 and VLite VT2?

The GROM VLine VL2 offers wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as a stand-alone Android interface that you can use to download almost any app from the Google Play store to use in your car. The GROM VLite VT2 system is for wireless CarPlay and Android Auto only.

2. Can I install the system myself?

Yes, you can install the system if you have some technical ability. You will need to disassemble the portion of the dashboard to connect the system to the back of the stereo and display and install the microphone and GPS antenna. We have plenty of install videos on our website: https://gromaudio.com/installs/index.html Otherwise, the local car stereo shop in your area should be able to help you with the installation.

3. Does the VLine VL2 or VLite VT2 system disable any important original stereo functionality?

No, the VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 system does not disable any important original stereo functionality. Your original cameras, FM radio, climate controls will keep working as the system fully integrates with your original factory car stereo.

The GROM
VLine VL2 / VLite VT2 systems come with 30 days return for the refund period and 18-month warranty.

To join the group, send the request via the web form at
https://gromaudio.com/support.html or PM us your email address, and we will add you to the group list.

CarPlay on Lexus Stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system

Android Auto on the factory Lexus stereo using GROM VLine VL2 system

Last edited by gromaudio; 09-11-24 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HappyGilmoreISF (09-12-24)
Old 09-11-24, 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Should the unit be uncomfortably hot to the touch in one corner while in operation? Should the screen flicker from time to time?

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but it would seem the glove box is a poor location for airflow and thermal management.