IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 08:17 AM
irieites
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed mine this weekend, everything came apart and went back together as expected, I just followed a few of the guides and videos that have been posted.

I love it when it's working. Waze works great ! Google maps...works sometimes. Haven't used Spotify or Bluetooth streaming, I have been streaming Tidal through CarPlay over the USB and it comes through lossless.

As long as Grom's customer support can help me get my unit working 100% of the time, I would say it is definitely worth the $300 I spent (would probably pay the $500 if I had that kind of money to throw around). My one gripe with my 05 LS has been the dated, hardly functional nav. So, I hope I get my issue resolved and I am able to keep it and enjoy it for years to come! Having this kind of additional functionality in a 12 year old car is nothing short of amazing.
Old 12-19-16, 09:48 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a gen 4 system on presale for my GX470. My main problem is that it was working but now says "the external system is not connected." Multiple restarts occasionally result in it working until the truck is shut off, and then it reverts to the same error.

There are are a bunch of other small odd behaviours and issues but this is a bit of a showstopper. I'm waiting for access to the GROM forum and have tried tagging Grom on Facebook over the weekend, I didn't expect that to work but hopefully I can get a response today.
Old 12-20-16, 02:47 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Orboro
Do you accept returns of unopened products? I'm about to sell my car and haven't even opened it yet.
Yes we have 30 days return policy
Old 12-20-16, 02:50 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

The update is coming live tomorrow.
Old 12-20-16, 08:35 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
I bought a gen 4 system on presale for my GX470. My main problem is that it was working but now says "the external system is not connected." Multiple restarts occasionally result in it working until the truck is shut off, and then it reverts to the same error.

There are are a bunch of other small odd behaviours and issues but this is a bit of a showstopper. I'm waiting for access to the GROM forum and have tried tagging Grom on Facebook over the weekend, I didn't expect that to work but hopefully I can get a response today.
Please contact support ( http://gromaudio.com/support.html ) they will help with your issue. But most likely tomorrow's update will fix that.
Old 12-21-16, 08:57 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing I'll never understand is why companies provide release dates for products/software updates when they really have no business doing so. Just say you're working on a software update and tell us it will be released when it's ready I'll be happy to see the software update if it comes today - but I'm not holding my breath. Don't tell us when it is coming anymore, please, until it is ready!
Old 12-22-16, 08:15 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Default CarPlay after update?

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes but you will need to reactivate plugin as it will be disabled by default.
I just installed the updated firmware on my Vline and am unable to get CarPlay to work, although you said it would in your previous post. It is still on my dash, but it does not pick up my phone as before and says it is disabled when I click on it.

Is this by design until you get certification or am I missing something? CarPlay was the main function on the Vline that I would use because Google Maps has been unreliable and the Bluetooth streaming does not sound as good as when it is hooked up to USB and played through CarPlay.

How do I reactivate CarPlay after installing the update? If I am unable to reactivate CarPlay in the new firmware, can I go back to the 1.02 firmware so I still feel I can go back to enjoying my Vline experience?
Old 12-22-16, 08:38 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by regeenoble
I just installed the updated firmware on my Vline and am unable to get CarPlay to work, although you said it would in your previous post. It is still on my dash, but it does not pick up my phone as before and says it is disabled when I click on it.

Is this by design until you get certification or am I missing something? CarPlay was the main function on the Vline that I would use because Google Maps has been unreliable and the Bluetooth streaming does not sound as good as when it is hooked up to USB and played through CarPlay.

How do I reactivate CarPlay after installing the update? If I am unable to reactivate CarPlay in the new firmware, can I go back to the 1.02 firmware so I still feel I can go back to enjoying my Vline experience?
Where do you see the firmware available?

Did you delete your original carplay icon from your main screen and then reactivate the plugin from your plugin screen?
Old 12-22-16, 09:00 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Where do you see the firmware available?

Did you delete your original carplay icon from your main screen and then reactivate the plugin from your plugin screen?
I went to settings > about this device > check for updates. The update popped right up and I downloaded it. I did remove CarPlay then added it again and still no luck connecting.

It's weird though, when I updated, it said firmware 1.2 (i think), but now when I look at it, it says it is running 1.1...I just want CarPlay back!
Old 12-22-16, 09:08 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I don't think you've got the "new" firmware that was being discussed by GROM earlier in the thread as nothing shows on their website. I'd give them a call and see what happened. Sounds like you went backwards!
Old 12-22-16, 09:34 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I don't think you've got the "new" firmware that was being discussed by GROM earlier in the thread as nothing shows on their website. I'd give them a call and see what happened. Sounds like you went backwards!
I just checked, it's version 1.1.0, before I was running 1.0.2(?), but this definitely is an updated version and is definitely lacking the CarPlay access I was enjoying so much. The Bluetooth has a noticeable decline in audio quality from CarPlay and I am suddenly not enjoying my Vline as much anymore (definitely not $500 worth, might still be worth the $300 i paid, but that is TBD).
Old 12-22-16, 10:51 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I just checked, it's version 1.1.0, before I was running 1.0.2(?), but this definitely is an updated version and is definitely lacking the CarPlay access I was enjoying so much. The Bluetooth has a noticeable decline in audio quality from CarPlay and I am suddenly not enjoying my Vline as much anymore (definitely not $500 worth, might still be worth the $300 i paid, but that is TBD).
Did you call Grom to see if they could help? Are the other things they discussed in place (ie - faster boot, sleep mode)?
Old 12-22-16, 11:32 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

I just installed the updated firmware on my Vline and am unable to get CarPlay to work
Click on CP icon and then 10 times on Activate CarPlay. It should bring CP back to life
Make sure you update VBase also:
http://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html
Old 12-22-16, 11:50 AM
rally333
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommelromm

I experience exactly the same issue. After disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors on the back of the headunit (which is a hassle as opening the dash and getting the headunit out is not very easy) I got it to work again but the day after I got the same error. Were you able to fix this?

Another issue I'm experiencing is that (if the device works) scrolling down is nearly impossible and it seems the screen is not correctly calibrated. I need to tap just next to the buttons.

Lastly I never realized that this device won't let you make bluetooth phonecalls like the BT3 does. Perhaps anybody has a suggestion how to make calls via Vline.

I really hope to be able to fix this because I like the concept.

Thanks to all of you for this great forum.

Ralph
Old 12-22-16, 12:26 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

What a steaming pile of $h!t this firmware is - download at your peril. Despite reading the poor experience of regeenoble, I downloaded and installed the firmware. Now my unit is basically unusable. When it isn't in a continuous reboot cycle, I occasionally get to the main screen. Once or twice, CarPlay worked. At the moment, I can't use it, though.
1) If I have my phone plugged in at start or before I fully boot to the main screen, the vline enters a continuous reboot
2) about 50% of the time, after turning the car off, waiting a few seconds, and turning it back on, the vline enters a continuous reboot (even when phone isnt plugged in to usb
3) If I do somehow get to the main screen, when I plug in my iphone, carplay turns green for a second or 2, the carplay icon shows on the top of my iphone7, then the icon turns gray again, and the carplay indicator on my phone goes away. A few times I'd get an error on my phone saying "Cannot use device vline: The connected device is not supported"

Essentially, I went from a device that had its quirks (and I knew what they were) to one that is essentially broken.

Stay away until these guys figure out what they're doing!

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?