anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 03:08 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Is it safe to update now?
The latest update is ready. We will be testing it more next week, so if you see any issues, please report to support or here.
http://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html
Old 12-23-16, 03:19 PM
irieites
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stopdrpnro
Was thinking about returning my bt3 for the vline , but it looks like it's still a long way from being a "complete" solution.😞
I don't know if I would say it's a long way from being a complete solution, but there are still some bugs that can be frustrating.

When my Vline is operating as it should, it is the most complete and seamless solution to update the dated tech in many Toyota/Lexus models with nav. I'm going to put my faith in Grom that they will get the bugs worked out sooner rather than later/never.

So far, even with the hiccups I've experienced, I get excited when I have to drive somewhere. It's almost like I have a new car all over again.

With all of that said, at the end of the day, there are still some issues, but it is not far from being a "complete" solution that I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone with a compatible car.

Last edited by irieites; 12-23-16 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 05:09 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
The latest update is ready. We will be testing it more next week, so if you see any issues, please report to support or here.

fixed the boot loop.

Last edited by GarageB; 12-23-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 05:54 PM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by irieites
I don't know if I would say it's a long way from being a complete solution, but there are still some bugs that can be frustrating.

When my Vline is operating as it should, it is the most complete and seamless solution to update the dated tech in many Toyota/Lexus models with nav. I'm going to put my faith in Grom that they will get the bugs worked out sooner rather than later/never.

So far, even with the hiccups I've experienced, I get excited when I have to drive somewhere. It's almost like I have a new car all over again.

With all of that said, at the end of the day, there are still some issues, but it is not far from being a "complete" solution that I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone with a compatible car.
​​​​​​
maybe it's just the thread ,but it seems everyone has had issues with their unit . When you say things like "when my vline is operating as it should..." I get even more afraid of it 😁
Old 12-23-16, 06:13 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Well bootloop seems to be gone indeed, buuuuuuuuut... I had a random reboot and after that Dashlinq kept force closing, so I would have music playing in the background, but no UI whatsoever. After a few restarts I decided to remove the usb flash drive where I store my music, and the unit booted to the UI right away put the usb flash drive back in there and POOF! rebooted after a few songs. Followed the same steps as before to get it back up, and decided to do a factory restore/reset; everything going well, except that now when I try to download the GAPPS package the download will effectively stall at anywhere from 25 to about 40 %, so haven't been able to get that installed, but at least I'm not having a random reboots anymore... at least not right now, hopefully when I take the car out for a drive that will still be the case.

One question/suggestion, is there anyway to program a key combination that will initiate a reboot? Something like pressing and holding Volume Down + Disc-Aux? Feels sort of stupid that if you want to reboot the unit you need to pull over, turn the car off, wait 5-10 seconds, start the car again...

Oh and for anyone stuck in the bootloop like I was, where no amount of restarts resolved issue, just disconnect your battery for a few secs, then reconnect. Seems unit needs to lose all power to get out of it, that's why reseatting cables also works.
Old 12-23-16, 08:05 PM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Any beta testers wanna sell me theirs for cheap 😁
Old 12-24-16, 08:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Any beta testers wanna sell me theirs for cheap 😁
If they don't fix my backup camera soon, i'm ready to get rid of it. Kinda ridiculous how long it's taking!
Old 12-24-16, 09:41 AM
irieites
Driver School Candidate

​​​​​​
maybe it's just the thread ,but it seems everyone has had issues with their unit . When you say things like "when my vline is operating as it should..." I get even more afraid of it 😁
I understand, at $500 I think I would be a little upset if it behaved in the way it has, boot loops, and whatnot. But $300 was a sweet spot where I'm not that upset that there are still some bugs bc I know they're working to fix them.

This most recent update seems to have fixed the boot loop, which was the main issue I was having. Ill report back when I have more time with the new update, but I'm not anywhere near ready to count Grom out on this one. This unit is soooo close to being the answer I have been looking for so maybe I'm being overly optimistic...guess we'll have to wait and see how stable this thing will be now that it's updated.
Old 12-24-16, 06:17 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the current status, if anyone is considering getting the vline:

1. When you make calls with Carplay, the person on the other end hears an echo of their own voice. I havent tried doing calls on the Android side but I cant imagine it would be any better. Also the mic cable input is right next to the wifi (bt?) antenna and its picking up that noise as well. Im now resorting to taking calls over speakerphone.

2. With the new firmware update, it reboots every 3-10 minutes on its own. Thanks for that btw.

3. Carplay has graphic artifacts on first boot. You have to go into some different screens, come out, to get them to go away.

4. Carplay will not switch to night mode, so the navigation map is super bright at night.

5. It uses MicroSD cards, if you try to remove it your MicroSD card will snap. This has happened to me and at least 1 other user on this forum.

6. The android icons auto-sorted themselves on the home screen on boot today (not the order I left them in).

7. When using a video player app, the navi bar stays on the left side as a solid black bar (ie doesnt let android apps switch to fullscreen mode).

Fix the new reboot loop issue, and fix the Carplay night mode.

Last edited by GarageB; 12-24-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 04:08 PM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Originally Posted by GarageB

1. When you make calls with Carplay, the person on the other end hears an echo of their own voice. I havent tried doing calls on the Android side but I cant imagine it would be any better. Also the mic cable input is right next to the wifi (bt?) antenna and its picking up that noise as well. Im now resorting to taking calls over speakerphone.

2. With the new firmware update, it reboots every 3-10 minutes on its own. Thanks for that btw.

3. Carplay has graphic artifacts on first boot. You have to go into some different screens, come out, to get them to go away.

4. Carplay will not switch to night mode, so the navigation map is super bright at night.

5. It uses MicroSD cards, if you try to remove it your MicroSD card will snap. This has happened to me and at least 1 other user on this forum.

6. The android icons auto-sorted themselves on the home screen on boot today (not the order I left them in).

7. When using a video player app, the navi bar stays on the left side as a solid black bar (ie doesnt let android apps switch to fullscreen mode).

Fix the new reboot loop issue, and fix the Carplay night mode.
Put me down for #5. Super frustrating too because that was the main reason I bought mine. Loaded up 128 gigs of music so I didn't have to plug in my phone. Firmware can fix this like it can with other issues.
Old 12-28-16, 03:39 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
So now that you have the reboot loop fixed will you also be fixing the consistently random reboots?

Using carplay on a 30 minute drive I get reboots about every 3-5 minutes. Occasionally I'll make it 10 minutes.

Using maps and listening to music streaming through apple music.

Give me back my longer boot time with wonky carplay startup behavior any day over this rebooting mess.....
Old 12-28-16, 08:06 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
So now that you have the reboot loop fixed will you also be fixing the consistently random reboots?

Using carplay on a 30 minute drive I get reboots about every 3-5 minutes. Occasionally I'll make it 10 minutes......
I took a 60-70 mile drive and the unit rebooted no less than 10 times. This is just listening to music, on the built in Local Music plugin, no phone connected, no maps running, or anything. Kinda wish there was some way to gain access to some log files to see if we can figure out exactly what is going on while the reboots occur.
Old 12-29-16, 06:02 AM
irieites
Driver School Candidate

I got a good 6 consecutive hours of drive time with the Vline over the holiday. On my drive up to Michigan, it rebooted twice and came right back up within about 30 seconds. I was using CP for music and Waze for nav. The only real issue I have to gripe about is that Google Maps force closes when I try to use navigation while connected to my hotspot. I can use Google Maps navigation just fine in offline mode, but as soon as I bring it online, it shuts off.

Other than that, I am loving my Vline. I have not used the micro SD slot, I have not tried to add local music, and I have not tried any apps besides Waze and Google Maps. At this point, though, I would be hard pressed to go back to my life without the Vline. I appreciate the guys at Grom working hard to get the updated firmware released before the holiday to make my roadtrip enjoyable.
Old 12-29-16, 10:00 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Gromaudio - not sure why its doing this but I posted a video of the issue I have; the color in the GA UI is green. I even switch to the factory screen. Is there anything yall guys can help me on?
Old 12-29-16, 06:23 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mahcah
Hey Gromaudio - not sure why its doing this but I posted a video of the issue I have; the color in the GA UI is green. I even switch to the factory screen. Is there anything yall guys can help me on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Seac-Iy8g
Can't remember exactly what my issue was after I first installed the unit, but I had something similar which ended up being some connections not seated properly, so my advice is to reconnect everything in the back of the factory unit.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?