IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 02:28 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

mine is fully updated and still looping reboots all the time. Driving me nuts.
Old 12-31-16, 12:51 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone get WAZE working? I'm stuck on the initial sign in where it's in portrait. Can't get at any of the buttons.
Old 12-31-16, 02:03 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You just need to scroll down the screen to say yet to some boxes. Had me hung up for a while too.
Old 01-01-17, 03:38 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

VLine VCore: VL1.1.0.0 VBase 20.24. Dashlinq v2.0.0 Dec1,2016. Installed on '09 LX570.

There's definitely no provisions in the UI to scroll down to get at the login for WAZE. Where sometimes dashlinq will have an up/down navigation button, I only get the zoom in/out that does nothing. Fortunately I have a generic USB keyboard that I plugged in and could login okay. That said, looks like the vline software build I have is unstable with WAZE. Constant reboots every few minutes.

I'm not sure if I'm on the latest build, but I did follow the firmware flash instruction at - http://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html. It did not prompt for an update once I inserted the USB stick.

Not all is bad though! Other than WAZE not working, I do really like it. Audio integration is awesome, and most importantly, audio quality is stellar. Definitely worth the $500, especially if they can work out all the bugs.

Few software bugs I hope they work through:
1) WAZE login not working with the portrait splash screen. I can get past this via USB mouse/remote or asking WAZE via voice control for a destination. But there's stability issues once in app.
2) Full Spotify app does not work. Cannot login. UI only allows for creating an account.
3) The colors for the default map app look really old school and washed out. Perhaps this is a theme that I have no control of? Wish there was a better looking, higher contrast map (though I really hope to use WAZE instead)
4) Reverse camera works as normal when starting up. But looks like upon putting it back into drive, my LX570 will default to the Lexus NAV, rather than back to the VLINE. Not sure if this is a bug in the scope of vline to be able to correct.
Old 01-02-17, 12:45 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also since using carplay currently crashes the unit, i tried using the android side of things. the audio on the dashlinq spotify app is horribly distorted (possibly low bit rate) and sounds terrible.

please get a fix up for carplay.
Old 01-02-17, 08:43 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

GarageB, I've used the dashlinq spotify app and it sounds crystal clear! It's at least on par if not better than most sources I've used in my LX570 ML Reference system. Not saying yours is not distorted, but does sound like something is not setup right? Try giving her a reboot by pulling the larger harness.

As we discuss, I think it's useful to identify the versions of software running to help.
Old 01-02-17, 10:25 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB
1. When you make calls with Carplay, the person on the other end hears an echo of their own voice. I havent tried doing calls on the Android side but I cant imagine it would be any better. Also the mic cable input is right next to the wifi (bt?) antenna and its picking up that noise as well. Im now resorting to taking calls over speakerphone.
Yes we will add mic gain tuning next OTA (hope later this week)
2. With the new firmware update, it reboots every 3-10 minutes on its own. Thanks for that btw.
Looking into it. And will have an update shortly.
3. Carplay has graphic artifacts on first boot. You have to go into some different screens, come out, to get them to go away.
Try using best cables possible. We saw that even Apple branded cables are not always working properly for CarPlay.
4. Carplay will not switch to night mode, so the navigation map is super bright at night.
Already in pipeline for this week fixes.
5. It uses MicroSD cards, if you try to remove it your MicroSD card will snap. This has happened to me and at least 1 other user on this forum.
We will emphasize in the Manual that SD card is there only for extending onboard 16GB into whatever you want. We did not consider it be swappable. But we will add finger groove on the enclosure the next batch.
7. When using a video player app, the navi bar stays on the left side as a solid black bar (ie doesnt let android apps switch to fullscreen mode).
Yes adding the list of apps to allow full screen. Will be in Settings for next OTA.
Old 01-02-17, 10:27 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by mahcah
Hey Gromaudio - not sure why its doing this but I posted a video of the issue I have; the color in the GA UI is green. I even switch to the factory screen. Is there anything yall guys can help me on?
Was it always that way when you received it ? Contact our support for resoultion.
Old 01-02-17, 10:30 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
VLine VCore: VL1.1.0.0 VBase 20.24. Dashlinq v2.0.0 Dec1,2016. Installed on '09 LX570.
1) WAZE login not working with the portrait splash screen. I can get past this via USB mouse/remote or asking WAZE via voice control for a destination. But there's stability issues once in app.
2) Full Spotify app does not work. Cannot login. UI only allows for creating an account.
3) The colors for the default map app look really old school and washed out. Perhaps this is a theme that I have no control of? Wish there was a better looking, higher contrast map (though I really hope to use WAZE instead)
4) Reverse camera works as normal when starting up. But looks like upon putting it back into drive, my LX570 will default to the Lexus NAV, rather than back to the VLINE. Not sure if this is a bug in the scope of vline to be able to correct.
1. Attach any mouse to the unit (bluetooth or wired) and use scroll for now. We will add scrolling to all screens shortly
2. See #1. Need to scroll down to reveal Signin button
3. Try playing with factory Display settings. We recommend lowering Brightness and adding contrast
4. Fixing it in the next VBase release this week.
Old 01-02-17, 12:21 PM
rally333
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My vline experience [2nd gen GS300]

I realize this thread is in the IS F model section, however this vline discussion is currently the main vline resource on this forum (and even on the whole web), so I decided to post my 2002 GS300 vline experiences here.

My post is quite extensive, but I hope it will help others to solve issues.

Before going on, I would like to underline that although I have encountered quite a lot of (major) issues, I'm still a happy GROM customer. The GROM team has been very supportive and responsive so far and I have confidence that most remaining issues will be solved in due time. However I do feel a bit like a beta tester, which was not my intention when I bought the device.

First hardware installation
The first hardware installation was relatively simple. The manual that comes with the device is quite detailed and clear. I found information on how to remove the navigation unit here on the clublexus forum. Main struggle for me was to remove the existing VGA and power connectors and to replace these with the vline ones. I also made a rookie mistake by dropping one of the bolts in the space under the unit. I positioned the vline unit in the glove box compartment. After removing the CD changer, there is quite some space available in the top left part of the glovebox. Running the cables was relatively easy. I already had the mic installed as I previously used the GROM BT3 unit for bluetooth calling (not a factory option in 2002 GS300).

First software experience
The very first thing I noticed after the initial startup of the device was that the screen seemed not to be properly calibrated. I had to tap right next to the buttons to activate them. This turned out to be quite an issue when I had to type my (strong...) wifi password. This issue alone cost me quite some time. By now this calibration issue has improved after one of the OTA updates. It's still not perfect however.

The second large obstacle was scrolling. It turned out to be nearly impossible to scroll up or down on my GS300 touch screen. (I can imagine that current touch screens are more accurate and responsive than my 2002 one.) After hours of playing around I figured out that scrolling works best if one positions two fingers above each other in the bottom right corner of the screen and then diagonally drags them towards the top-left corner. Although this 'double-fingered diagonal' approach slightly improves scrolling, I still kept accidentally activating the wrong buttons on the screen. Especially selecting the language in Waze was challenging because I accidentally activated Chinese, Russian and Greek before I managed to activate Dutch. Not the easiest languages to read. Unfortunately I never realized that this whole scrolling issue could have been overcome by using a USB mouse or keyboard. Furthermore I now understand that one of the next firmware updates will include scrolling bars in most screens, which would solve the issue. All in all this whole scrolling issue has cost me a large amount of time.

The third and biggest issue for me occurred the morning after installation. After starting the car my default Lexus navigation screen had become very unclear and after pressing DISC to activate the vline I got the message 'The external device is not connected'. I figured this must have been caused by loose connectors. The only solution was to remove the navigation unit again and check the connectors. After reconnecting, the error was gone. The next morning the error occurred again, forcing me to go through the entire process again. It was only later that I found out that disconnecting the car's battery also does the job getting rid of the error. The GROM team has been very helpful and responsive on this issue, and they advised me to install the upgraded (USB stick) firmware update from their website. For now this update seems to have solved the problem.

The fourth major issue was my own mistake. When I ordered the device I took for granted that bluetooth / handsfree calling was a standard feature. This is however not the case. Handsfree does work in Carplay however, so I continued with the next challenge: getting Carplay to work.

Getting Apple Carplay to work: After I figured out how to create a shortcut for Carplay (under plugins) I noted that the icon remained to be grey after connecting my iPhone 6s. Changing cables and rebooting the phone did not make any difference, I found out (on this forum) that the right way to activate Carplay is to tap the grey Carplay icon and subsequently tap the 'disabled' option ten times in a row. This 'cheat' worked for me and now I finally have Carplay running.

The sixth main issue for me is that when I make phonecalls via Carplay, the other person hears a loud echo. I understand GROM is now working on a solution to fix this issue and look forward to it.

Other less important issues I experience:
- scrolling remains a challenge, even with my magic technique
- after approximately 10 minutes of driving, the vline reboots.
- The appearance of the Waze map is quite crappy. Street names look weird. However the app does work well.
- In Carplay I can't get the Apple maps to night mode (I understood GROM is working on this)

All of this has cost me a lot of time. My wife even asked me if I have an affair with my car. I do. But the upgrades are good and I'm confident the device will be a great solution going forward.

Hope my post is helpful for future users and thank you all for contributing to this forum.
Old 01-03-17, 11:33 AM
irieites
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rally333
Before going on, I would like to underline that although I have encountered quite a lot of (major) issues, I'm still a happy GROM customer. The GROM team has been very supportive and responsive so far and I have confidence that most remaining issues will be solved in due time. However I do feel a bit like a beta tester, which was not my intention when I bought the device.
This is pretty much how I feel, and I would not hesitate to purchase the unit again. There was a small learning curve and some big issues at first. Most of the major issues were resolved through the OTA update. Some of the issues were user error, and most of the rest could likely be resolved in the next software update.

My biggest issue now, though, is that I cannot use navigation on Google Maps while I am connected to a hotspot. I can have Google Maps up and displaying real time traffic, but as soon as I start navigation, it will immediately close and go back to the launch screen. Once I go offline though, Google Maps works very well for offline navigation. If not for Waze, I might care a lot more, but ATM, I only care a little and I have faith that the issue will be addressed soon because sometimes I prefer the Google Maps interface over Waze.

Is anyone else having this issue with Google Maps or found a solution?

Last edited by irieites; 01-03-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 12:02 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Try using best cables possible. We saw that even Apple branded cables are not always working properly for CarPlay.
CarPlay works fine with the cable. The problem is the video output is badly pixelated. Sometimes this happens right from the start. Other times, the video is perfectly fine, but over the course of several minutes, the display becomes more and more pixelated. It is completely correctable by clicking out to the main carplay interface, clicking the grom button to get back out to the main dashlinq interface, and then clicking back in to carplay. It is also mostly correctable just by going in and out of different sections of the carplay apps (ie - going from maps, to the carplay main screen, back into maps). I say mostly, because if the graphics are corrupted along the left hand side bar, you need to get back to the dashlinq screen to have the whole screen refresh. This is not new behavior with the newest firmware and OTA update. This has been around since day 1 - just not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

If you get me back to where I don't have reboots every few minutes, i'll be a very happy camper!
Old 01-03-17, 12:10 PM
johsti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a 6 hour round trip and the Vline performed perfectly. I used Carplay the entire time and the music and maps performed perfectly. I'm running the latest firmware and OTA update.

The only two issues I have are the carplay phone echo and the back up camera not turning on each time I shift to reverse. I'm confident these will be fixed at some point. Thanks Grom!
Old 01-03-17, 02:53 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
CarPlay works fine with the cable. The problem is the video output is badly pixelated.
Can you share a pic of pixelated video ?
Old 01-03-17, 03:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Can you share a pic of pixelated video ?
You can see the pixelation in this picture below. If I exit and re-enter CarPlay,the pixelation disappears.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?