IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 10:55 AM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had more chance to test the update yesterday.

On 4 stops I made the unit failed to boot once, i had to turn the car off and start it again and it worked.

Carplay phone calls have echo for the other person, they said they could hear everything doubled.
Carplay "now playing" app crashed, it continued to play but the app would not open, i was still able to control music from the phone though.
Carplay still have issues drawing the screen at times but once it goes away it usually does not return.
Bluetooth controls and song title, etc improved

I highly suggest Grom to add a "hard reset" button on newer units that can be wired to a temporary switch that can be installed somewhere in the vicinity of the driver, and if possible, give current users a wiring plan to add one, or sell a newer wiring harness that has the button, because it is awfully frustrating having to turn off and restart the engine to get your radio going.

Last edited by Cpartipilo; 01-06-17 at 10:59 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-06-17, 11:04 AM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

I have another nuisance that i want to ask for possible suggestions on a separate post.

when i have my phone on Carplay and get an incoming call, the carplay displays the call for a second, but then the car's bluetooth takes over the screen, the audio quality on carplay is substantially better than the OEM bluetooth (save the current echo issue, which i'm sure can be fixed) so i thought about unpairing the phone and the car but then it would not work for phone calls when not using carplay.

anyone has any ideas on how to tackle this issue?
Old 01-06-17, 03:02 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Hello Grom,
I installed the VLINE LEXGXVL1 in my vehicle about 2 weeks ago now and have been working my way thru the same issues as my fellow members. No offense intended, just a fact. I have never bought a product before which I have invested so much time trying to get it to function as advertised. I have to agree with the others that I feel like a beta tester. If it wasn't for your customer and technical support, which have both been very reachable and responsive, outstanding actually, I would have sent the unit back. But because of your attentiveness, I have stayed with the VLINE and truly believe that you will work all the bugs out. In the 10 days or so since I installed it, I have down loaded 2 OTA updates and 2 USB firmware updates. Keep them coming because I do see improvement. On a different note, I have to admit that I assumed that the VLINE would allow blue tooth calling with an Android phone. That's totally on me. Is there any chance that GROM will come to an agreement with GOOGLE to allow Android Auto to function on the VLINE. Apparently, the APPLE CARPLAY app is functional allowing iphone user to make calls. What can you tell me about that.
Old 01-08-17, 08:14 AM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems things are improving but still need work.I appreciate the early adopters hanging in there and making them aware of the issues. I really am rooting for Grom to get this working better so I can purchase one *Slow clap with chant* GROM GROM GROM GROM GROM GROM GROM GROM
Old 01-08-17, 02:10 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a new to me IS350 F Sport 2011.(Australia) The OE navi unit leaves a lot to be desired.
My researching and reading the Flyaudio thread has brought me here.
If I get one of these units I would like to be able to load the igo/Primo app into the Grom unit to use that as my gps. (From my own apk)
Does any one know if this can be done?
Old 01-09-17, 09:48 AM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

i'm having about a 50% failure to boot with my unit now, i have to check if i have the latest updates and try again. So far i'm happy with the functionality, but the unit is not reliable enough yet, however as others mention, i see improvements and i hope GROM continues to develop the unit with our feedback.
Old 01-09-17, 10:39 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpartipilo
when i have my phone on Carplay and get an incoming call, the carplay displays the call for a second, but then the car's bluetooth takes over the screen, the audio quality on carplay is substantially better than the OEM bluetooth (save the current echo issue, which i'm sure can be fixed) so i thought about unpairing the phone and the car but then it would not work for phone calls when not using carplay.
anyone has any ideas on how to tackle this issue?
You may disconnect your phone from factory bluetooth and leave it up to CarPlay to handle it all. But there will be an extra button press you need to make to handle a call. Press DISC button (if in FM/AM/off) to switch to VLine mode. Then you can accept/reject a call from stereo screen.
Old 01-09-17, 12:13 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Hello Cpartipilo,
As far as your problem with booting and rebooting constantly, I had the same problem and it is very frustrating. After contacting Grom technical support, they sent me an update on 1/5/17 (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex). This update had to be down loaded onto a USB stick attached to a computer, renamed and then inserted into the lower USB port on the VLINE unit. It appears that this update has cleared the booting problems completely. We all seem to be having the same big and not so big problems with the buggy software used in the VLINE. But I have to say that the customer and technical support working for GROM is stellar. I feel confident that they will continue to be there for us and eventually get the VLINE perfected. Be happy with the fact that you have an iPhone. It appears that you can load CarPlay onto the VLINE allowing you to make and receive phone calls though the unit. Android phone owners don't have that ability as of yet. ANDROID AUTO is not supported buy the VLINE. I'm hoping that GROM will enter into an agreement with GOOGLE soon making it functional.
The following users liked this post:
Cpartipilo (01-10-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:49 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hello Cpartipilo,
As far as your problem with booting and rebooting constantly, I had the same problem and it is very frustrating. After contacting Grom technical support, they sent me an update on 1/5/17 (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex). This update had to be down loaded onto a USB stick attached to a computer, renamed and then inserted into the lower USB port on the VLINE unit. It appears that this update has cleared the booting problems completely. We all seem to be having the same big and not so big problems with the buggy software used in the VLINE. But I have to say that the customer and technical support working for GROM is stellar. I feel confident that they will continue to be there for us and eventually get the VLINE perfected. Be happy with the fact that you have an iPhone. It appears that you can load CarPlay onto the VLINE allowing you to make and receive phone calls though the unit. Android phone owners don't have that ability as of yet. ANDROID AUTO is not supported buy the VLINE. I'm hoping that GROM will enter into an agreement with GOOGLE soon making it functional.
Now is this update you received by downloading onto your USB the same one as the latest OTA? Maybe Grom can answer as I am still very hesitant to update.
Old 01-09-17, 02:16 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mahcah
Now is this update you received by downloading onto your USB the same one as the latest OTA? Maybe Grom can answer as I am still very hesitant to update.
Okay, I've had the VLINE installed now for about 2 weeks and this is the way I understand it. GROM releases updates in 2 different ways. OTA, which I believe translates as "over the air". This can be done simply while connected to wi-fi by going to settings, and scrolling down to about device, choosing update software, check for updates now. I have down loaded 2 OTA updates in 2 weeks. Very simple, very straightforward. The second type of update, which I believe actually updates the firmware is different. The only way I found out that there was a new firmware update available was as a result of contacting technical support describing the issues I was having with the VLINE. After emailing them about the issues, they replied and recommended I try applying an attached update. This update process is accomplished by using a computer. Attach a newly formatted (FAT32) USB stick to a computer and download the update they send and follow the directions they supply, which basically after downloading, simply requires a name change. Eject the stick and install it into the lower USB slot on the VLINE. You will get a pop-up asking if you want to update. Answer yes, and the update executes. I've done this type of update also twice, and as I said, the last update (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex) appears to have cleared up the very frustrating booting/rebooting problems. Both download processes are very easy to do and so far have only improved the VLINE. So don't worry about doing them. What strikes me as being strange, is that I wouldn't have known that the firmware USB updates were available unless I contacted technical support. I would think that GROM would let us know periodically that new firmware is available and what issues it addresses. Anyway, both customer and technical support are quick to respond to any inquires and I have faith that they will eventually get all the bugs straightened out. In the 2 weeks that I have the VLINE installed, I finally feel comfortable permanently mounting the unit in the vehicle. Do the downloads. Not to worry you, but if worst comes to worst, you can all
ways reset the VLINE and start with a clean install. Goodluck
Old 01-09-17, 03:07 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

If you do not receive VLine firmware update alerts, please sign up for VLine firmware update notifications by either using this link:
bit.ly/vline_update

or text GROMMAIL to 22828 to sign up.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-17, 03:28 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
If you do not receive VLine firmware update alerts, please sign up for VLine firmware update notifications by either using this link:
bit.ly/vline_update

Thank you.
I just signed up. Have there been more than 2 firmware updates released? The last one I downloaded and applied was to correct the continuous reboot before the holidays.
Old 01-09-17, 03:44 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

if we have yet to install updates, do we have to apply the updates in sequential order?
Old 01-09-17, 03:54 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gromaudio
bit.ly/vline_update

Thank you.
Just signed up. As you always do, thanks again for the quick response.
Old 01-09-17, 06:13 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This product is 100% still in beta

I'm very disappointed in this product so far. Grom support may be satisfactory but they released this product way too soon. I'm still having a lot of the same issues as stated originally on this thread as well as to GROM support. Their response hasn't been that great for me (it used to be great but it's becoming worse and that's partly because they put out a product like this without proper and extensive beta testing). My device only boots up around half the time or less and suffers from the same loop reboot issue as others have described. i simply cannot understand how they can sell a product for $500 with issues like that. Even simple things like the reverse track button doesn't work with BT streaming--it did at the beginning and then stopped, it worked intermittently a week ago for about one day and then stopped ever since. My phone connects via BT and the display shows it connected but Audio doesn't play until I go to the home screen and then back into the BT streaming app--and that sequence only works half the time. The other half the time I have to turn BT off and back on, select the vline to pair and then open up the BT app. Throwing my gear shifter in reverse only gives me the backup camera about 75% of the time--I have to shift into a different gear and back. These are just some of the more recent issues ever since this current update.

This thing has serious bugs. I keep a running list of them and it's about 20+ issues deep, and those are the ones that I remember to write down. Often times I'm driving, reach my destination and forget to write them down.

I highly recommend other users to wait before purchasing until many of these issues are resolved.

Last edited by wildta; 01-09-17 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cpartipilo (01-10-17)

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?