IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:43 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
I'm very disappointed in this product so far. Grom support may be satisfactory but they released this product way too soon. I'm still having a lot of the same issues as stated originally on this thread as well as to GROM support. Their response hasn't been that great for me (it used to be great but it's becoming worse and that's partly because they put out a product like this without proper and extensive beta testing). My device only boots up around half the time or less and suffers from the same loop reboot issue as others have described. i simply cannot understand how they can sell a product for $500 with issues like that. Even simple things like the reverse track button doesn't work with BT streaming--it did at the beginning and then stopped, it worked intermittently a week ago for about one day and then stopped ever since. My phone connects via BT and the display shows it connected but Audio doesn't play until I go to the home screen and then back into the BT streaming app--and that sequence only works half the time. The other half the time I have to turn BT off and back on, select the vline to pair and then open up the BT app. Throwing my gear shifter in reverse only gives me the backup camera about 75% of the time--I have to shift into a different gear and back. These are just some of the more recent issues ever since this current update.

This thing has serious bugs. I keep a running list of them and it's about 20+ issues deep, and those are the ones that I remember to write down. Often times I'm driving, reach my destination and forget to write them down.

I highly recommend other users to wait before purchasing until many of these issues are resolved.
I totally agree with you. My suggestion is to first do any OTA updates from within the VLINE while connected to WI-FI. Then go to the GROM web page, click on firmware, click on VLINE, go to the drop down box, chose your car make, and follow the instructions. Once all the updates have been applied you might want to restore your VLINE and start from scratch. That boot/reboot issue is very frustrating. I think I'm out of the woods with that issue. Good luck.
Old 01-10-17, 10:49 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running on current firmware and I still have random reboots. one thing I noticed (and wife noticed) is it takes a while for it to happen the first time, then happens more frequently after the first reboot. board temp?

WHAT WOULD BE SUPER NICE is a step by step, foolproof update method posted to their website.

I would also recommend waiting to purchase until the updates are forward progressing.
Old 01-10-17, 10:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB
Im running on current firmware and I still have random reboots. one thing I noticed (and wife noticed) is it takes a while for it to happen the first time, then happens more frequently after the first reboot. board temp?

WHAT WOULD BE SUPER NICE is a step by step, foolproof update method posted to their website.

I would also recommend waiting to purchase until the updates are forward progressing.
I'm on VCore 1.1.0.0 / VBase 20.24 and also have reboots among many other issues. However, what most upsets me is that this device managed to destroy the very limited technology the car infotainment system offered, such as the backup camera rather than add functionality as advertised.
Old 01-10-17, 11:13 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB

Unlilkely - reboots never happened for me until the software/firmware updates were applied. After the firmware/software updates, the reboots happened immediately. It would be an awfully big coincidence if that were the case .... unless the firmware updated overclocked the processor for more speed ..... maybe?
Old 01-10-17, 03:25 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
If you do not receive VLine firmware update alerts, please sign up for VLine firmware update notifications by either using this link:
bit.ly/vline_update

or text GROMMAIL to 22828 to sign up.

Thank you.
Am I correct to assume that this is NOT the same updates that are present on the grom website? All I see on the website is still the file released 12/23, and I'm suffering through the constant reboots as well.
Old 01-10-17, 05:08 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im still on the original firmware and have yet to experience reboots. Wondering if I should just wait until a stable build is avail.
Old 01-10-17, 05:11 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geero
Im still on the original firmware and have yet to experience reboots. Wondering if I should just wait until a stable build is avail.
Definitely wait. Original firmware was much more stable. Current update was so bad that I stopped using vline about 80% of the time in my car because it was unusable or frustrating.

GROM just sent me a HEX file to update unit via USB. File name is: gromvl1_lex5_25.hex. Will use for a few weeks and give another update. To be honest, I think they still have a ways to go software-wise. I don't have much confidence in these little updates anymore.
Old 01-10-17, 05:40 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mannysanch
Am I correct to assume that this is NOT the same updates that are present on the grom website? All I see on the website is still the file released 12/23, and I'm suffering through the constant reboots as well.
Hey mannysanch,
There are 2 types of updates, OTA (over the air) which you should check for periodically while connected to WI-FI on your VLINE. Very quick and simple to accomplish. The ones shown on the website are firmware updates which need to be done using a computer and a USB stick. The instructions are on the page and it's not difficult. OK that being said, I think this is very important to note, GROM produces 3 different models of the VLINE. LEXGXVL1 2003-2004 model years, LEX4VL1 2004-2006, and LEX5VL1 2006-2009. I say this because the information we are passing along to each other may not apply and might cause more problems. That is pure speculation. I truthfully don't. Maybe they are all the same other than the wiring harnesses supplied with each unit. Personnaly I think the only difference has to do with the harness. But again, speculation. Maybe we should state which we own. I bought my 2004 Lexus GX470 when it first hit the market in 2003. It was completely made in Japan. Not sure if that's good or bad. So I have the LEXGXVL1. I have done 2 USB updates, the 1st being the 12/23 (gromvl1_lex4_7.hex) which cleared up some small issues, i.e. scrolling etc. It didn't help at all with the big frustrating rebooting issue. After contacting technical support they quickly replied and sent another USB update dated 1/5/17 (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex). This update completely solved the rebooting problems. So my point is that I don't know what year, model your driving, or which VLINE you have installed. But if you have the LEXGXVL1, you might want to look into the update released 1/5/17. Good Luck
Old 01-12-17, 09:35 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Just a reminder - the OTA update is coming out this week to fix the reboot issue/improve carplay, and there are only two days left in the week.

Id love my vline to stop rebooting, or to have been given a downgrade path so I wouldnt have been stuck with a rebooting unit for 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-13-17, 12:44 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We see CarPlay crashing the system here also. Seems like OTA issue. Will be having new OTA mid next week.

We are past mid week and afaik there is no update.

One thing we learn in the business world is our word is extremely important. It is easy for us to say what we 'wish' would happen, but harder to say the realistic answer.

If you cant provide a timely solution, provide a downgrade path.
Old 01-13-17, 05:37 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Update on CarPlay crashing: The problem was nailed, we will be making fix early next week. Do not update OTA if you use CarPlay yet. We will let you know after new OTA testing is completed.
Old 01-13-17, 07:20 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hey mannysanch,
There are 2 types of updates, OTA (over the air) which you should check for periodically while connected to WI-FI on your VLINE. Very quick and simple to accomplish. The ones shown on the website are firmware updates which need to be done using a computer and a USB stick. The instructions are on the page and it's not difficult. OK that being said, I think this is very important to note, GROM produces 3 different models of the VLINE. LEXGXVL1 2003-2004 model years, LEX4VL1 2004-2006, and LEX5VL1 2006-2009. I say this because the information we are passing along to each other may not apply and might cause more problems. That is pure speculation. I truthfully don't. Maybe they are all the same other than the wiring harnesses supplied with each unit. Personnaly I think the only difference has to do with the harness. But again, speculation. Maybe we should state which we own. I bought my 2004 Lexus GX470 when it first hit the market in 2003. It was completely made in Japan. Not sure if that's good or bad. So I have the LEXGXVL1. I have done 2 USB updates, the 1st being the 12/23 (gromvl1_lex4_7.hex) which cleared up some small issues, i.e. scrolling etc. It didn't help at all with the big frustrating rebooting issue. After contacting technical support they quickly replied and sent another USB update dated 1/5/17 (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex). This update completely solved the rebooting problems. So my point is that I don't know what year, model your driving, or which VLINE you have installed. But if you have the LEXGXVL1, you might want to look into the update released 1/5/17. Good Luck
Thanks, your reply clarified the situation. The file you got emailed is not on their support page, which is what I was assuming is the case; on their support page the files available for the Gen4, which is what you seem to have, is the gromvl1_lex4_7.hex and for the Gen5, which is what I have, gromvl1_lex5_24.hex, both dated 12/23. Sadly, I'm aware that there are no further OTA available at the moment since that's one of the first things I do when I turn my car on the first time any given day.

At this point I'll just wait for the updated firmware file to be released, at the very least it boots back up in under 20 seconds... way better than pre-update where it took almost a minute.

PS. Like others, and myself, have mentioned, it would be great to have a physical "reset" button. Heck, just tell me which cable I can splice a switch to and I'll do it myself.
Old 01-13-17, 08:58 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mannysanch
Thanks, your reply clarified the situation. The file you got emailed is not on their support page, which is what I was assuming is the case; on their support page the files available for the Gen4, which is what you seem to have, is the gromvl1_lex4_7.hex and for the Gen5, which is what I have, gromvl1_lex5_24.hex, both dated 12/23. Sadly, I'm aware that there are no further OTA available at the moment since that's one of the first things I do when I turn my car on the first time any given day.

At this point I'll just wait for the updated firmware file to be released, at the very least it boots back up in under 20 seconds... way better than pre-update where it took almost a minute.

PS. Like others, and myself, have mentioned, it would be great to have a physical "reset" button. Heck, just tell me which cable I can splice a switch to and I'll do it myself.
I hear you my friend.
They have solved that issue with me, but listen. I have checked back on the firmware page for my VLINE (LEXGXVL1) and it only shows an update dated 12/23/16. That update applies to VL1 thru LEX4. But really didn't help me out much at all. If I didn't contact technical support and reach the right person, I would be still in the reboot mode. Why isn't the update dated 1/5/17 (gromvl1_lex4_8.hex) showing up?, Can't answer that, but it straightened out my rebooting issues completely. I found out about it only by reaching a knowledgeable technical support person . BTW, I don't get there whole home page. It's so simple and non-informative for owners of their products. What about a customer log in box where we can get current information about our purchased products which will free up the tech support people.
Regards
Old 01-14-17, 05:25 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very interested in this system. However, the fact you can not listen to any of the OEM head units features ( XM radio, AM radio, etc) while in vline infotainment is a deal breaker. I would love to be able to use waze while I'm listening to AM radio for example.
Old 01-14-17, 07:17 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lev
I'm very interested in this system. However, the fact you can not listen to any of the OEM head units features ( XM radio, AM radio, etc) while in vline infotainment is a deal breaker. I would love to be able to use waze while I'm listening to AM radio for example.
Hi Lev,
I'm not sure if this helps but the VLINE comes with Gmusic, local music,Web Radio. And a lot of free radio tuner apps are available on PlayStore i.e. Tunein, Radio FM, etc. I have all my favorite AM and FM channels available to me within the VLINE interface. I always have some station on while waze is up on the display. So your concern wouldn't be an issue. I have the VLINE mounted in a Lexus GX470 with navigation and the optional Mark Levinson audio system. I am by no means an audiophile, but appreciate a good sounding system. And truth be told, I don't know why or how, but playing through the VLINE everything sounds better than through the factory head unit. I don't see any reason to use the factory head any longer. So if I understand you correctly, that would not be a reason for not going with the VLINE. That being said, the VLINE does have other issues unrelated to your radio access fear. It does have quit a few software bugs which the technical support team have been addressing with firmware updates. Hope that helps.
Regards

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?