IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 01:25 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

updated my unit today to the latest OTA, and after doing that it finally recognized my usb drive, so i also did the usb firmware update.

I only played with it for a few minutes but it seems to boot faster, carplay connected fine, bluetooth streaming worked fine, but it was a very short test. I will see how it behaves on my drive home and will report back tomorrow.
Old 01-19-17, 02:27 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Installed without issue. I'll report back as I use it more as well. I can confirm phone calls through CarPlay are not an option (echo still present enough so that it shouldn't be used). That isn't a huge deal since you can still use the factory hands free - but would be icing on the cake if the reboots are fixed ....
Old 01-19-17, 03:05 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Installed without issue. I'll report back as I use it more as well. I can confirm phone calls through CarPlay are not an option (echo still present enough so that it shouldn't be used). That isn't a huge deal since you can still use the factory hands free - but would be icing on the cake if the reboots are fixed ....

I have to think that the carplay echo is because the microphone is catching the audio from the speakers, the way phones do away with that is with some very smart noise cancelling, but i have no idea how grom could fix that if they didn't build it in the unit. But i think that in the original firmware the carplay calls worked fine, so the issue may still be software related.
Old 01-19-17, 06:07 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

My first 45 minutes tonight were very positive. No crashing and night mode working in CarPlay is nice. Still suffering from the video breakups.

Not sure if this is a bug, but when the rear camera or parking sensor screen comes up in the display, you have to hit buttons to get back to the vline because it defaults back to the factory nav. Is it possible to have the display default back to the vline?

Right now, I'm very happy.
Old 01-19-17, 09:29 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Not sure if this is a bug, but when the rear camera or parking sensor screen comes up in the display, you have to hit buttons to get back to the vline because it defaults back to the factory nav. Is it possible to have the display default back to the vline?...
I think that is the factory default option, or at least seems to be in my car. I tried it from the climate control screen and it still takes me back to nav when I put it in 1st gear.

I'm so far a happy camper with the new f/w as well, no random reboots so far. Haven't really run the OTA since it seems it's more of a car play thing, which I don't use, but maybe tomorrow when I have more time I'll install it as well.
Old 01-20-17, 04:59 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mannysanch
I think that is the factory default option, or at least seems to be in my car. I tried it from the climate control screen and it still takes me back to nav when I put it in 1st gear.

I'm so far a happy camper with the new f/w as well, no random reboots so far. Haven't really run the OTA since it seems it's more of a car play thing, which I don't use, but maybe tomorrow when I have more time I'll install it as well.
Should've known ....

Woke up to continuous reboot loop this morning. Turning off the car and restarting it fixed it, but looks like things aren't out if the woods yet.
Old 01-20-17, 06:06 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

I've had a few hours with the update, now. For the most part, things are continually getting better with the VLINE. While I'm still a happy customer, I have run into some wonky behavior. There have been 2 or 3 times where the VLINE disconnects and I am unable to find it by pressing CD, but I found if I turn the audio off then back on, voila, the VLINE is back. I'm not really going to fuss about it because it seems relatively benign for now and like I said, things keep improving overall. I have not experienced any reboots/boot loops since installing the OTA & FW updates.

Also, sometimes the VLINE screen comes up for me by default when I start my car and sometimes it goes to factory nav. Sometimes after shifting to drive from reverse it goes to VLINE and sometimes back to factory nav. So, there are still some quirks, but overall, each update seems to bring this thing closer to prime time and living up to it's promise.
Old 01-20-17, 10:46 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Another quick observation after spending time in my car at lunch...sometimes I get the feedback beep while touching the screen on the VLINE that normally happens when using the factory menus on the touchscreen. I'm not sure why it does it sometimes but not others, but I do like when it does happen, so Grom, if you are listening, keep/add the touchscreen feedback tone to be implemented full time!
Old 01-20-17, 11:20 AM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Should've known ....

Woke up to continuous reboot loop this morning. Turning off the car and restarting it fixed it, but looks like things aren't out if the woods yet.
*SIGH*... and the saga continues.

Well I haven't ran into any problems so far (looks for around for nervously for wood... does compressed wood count?), but I don't get too much time to play around with it during the weekdays since I drive a company vehicle. Guess I'll put it through it's paces this weekend. Still I am hopeful, and I do agree that we are moving forward.

I would probably be more pissed, but I had a hunch I would still be pretty much a beta tester, so I was expecting various little wrinkles in my quest for supah-infotainment.
Old 01-20-17, 12:25 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

My report after using the current software for a full day:

I did a few stops yesterday and today (turn off and on at random times) and did not have one single failure to boot. I have not had reboots during use at any point.
Boot time improved by a few seconds.
The reverse camera issue is fixed so that it defaults to the lexus navi screen instead of cycling through, I think this is the best grom can do because it is the default behavior of the system.
USB works for me (it didnt before)
I briefly tried carplay and i have not seen the screen drawing issue again, but did not use it enough to try to break it.

I have had some issues with Bluetooth not passing audio while connected and Bluetooth disconnecting where i have to disconnect and reconnect for it to work.
I don't have my microphone plugged, but if i am using Carplay and I say Hey Siri!, she comes up to listen, but does not hear anything past that, i have yet to try to ask something directly without having the mic plugged.

I am happy that things are getting better, I will continue to use and report on any issues I find.
Old 01-21-17, 10:01 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Current status after updates:

Fixed:
Carplay nightmode now works (no more blinding map screen at night)
Random crash/reboot (though to be honest I havent put enough time into it with a single trip)

Existing/New problems:
Carplay Echo - honestly not sure how they intend to fix this.

Screen redraw not always occurring after OS load - So the unit finishes booting, I had my iPhone connected during boot, and it comes up with the Vline Android menu. I press an icon but wait - the screen is frozen, and everything I touch is actually touching the Carplay screen that I cannot see. If I press the right side where Carplay 'next track' button is its skips to the next track, but I cant see this because the screen is stuck on the Vline Android icons home screen because its not redrawing properly after boot. This leads me into a complex scenario where i have to press the lower left of the screen where the Carplay home button should be, then press where the 'Grom Vline' Carplay icon would be, then I can press the 'Carplay' icon on the Vline Android menu and now Im back in usable carplay.

The problem above is happening because after boot there is some issue about the screen not having random redraw moments. What needs to happen is a redraw occurring every few seconds of inactivity. Obvious the screen will redraw on click/action, but at idle it doesnt seem to do this.

But then Im not a developer so maybe I dont know what im talking about.

Also, Grom Audio, a few weeks back you had emailed me firmware version 25, and now on your site is version 25, just curious - is there any chance that the version 25 you sent me in the email is different than the version 25 currently listed on your site? The system doesnt prompt me to update, just curious if any changes occurred to the firmware in that time gap, as you've been working to resolve problems.

So, if you're on the fence about buying a Grom Vline id suggest getting a blanket and a cushion - because you should get comfy and sit this one out a little longer. We're closer, but not there yet.
Old 01-21-17, 02:59 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GarageB
Current status after updates:

Fixed:
Carplay nightmode now works (no more blinding map screen at night)
Random crash/reboot (though to be honest I havent put enough time into it with a single trip)

Existing/New problems:
Carplay Echo - honestly not sure how they intend to fix this.

Screen redraw not always occurring after OS load - So the unit finishes booting, I had my iPhone connected during boot, and it comes up with the Vline Android menu. I press an icon but wait - the screen is frozen, and everything I touch is actually touching the Carplay screen that I cannot see. If I press the right side where Carplay 'next track' button is its skips to the next track, but I cant see this because the screen is stuck on the Vline Android icons home screen because its not redrawing properly after boot. This leads me into a complex scenario where i have to press the lower left of the screen where the Carplay home button should be, then press where the 'Grom Vline' Carplay icon would be, then I can press the 'Carplay' icon on the Vline Android menu and now Im back in usable carplay.

The problem above is happening because after boot there is some issue about the screen not having random redraw moments. What needs to happen is a redraw occurring every few seconds of inactivity. Obvious the screen will redraw on click/action, but at idle it doesnt seem to do this.

But then Im not a developer so maybe I dont know what im talking about.

Also, Grom Audio, a few weeks back you had emailed me firmware version 25, and now on your site is version 25, just curious - is there any chance that the version 25 you sent me in the email is different than the version 25 currently listed on your site? The system doesnt prompt me to update, just curious if any changes occurred to the firmware in that time gap, as you've been working to resolve problems.

So, if you're on the fence about buying a Grom Vline id suggest getting a blanket and a cushion - because you should get comfy and sit this one out a little longer. We're closer, but not there yet.
Hey GarageB,
We both seem to have benefited from the early release of the USB update sent to us on 1/5/17. In your case it appears that you have the Gen 5 VLINE unit which needed Ver. 25 update, and I have the Gen 4 VLINE unit which the Ver. 8 worked with. I was optimistic in my case that the Ver. 8 update released to the general public on 1/18/17 would have include additional bug fixes, but it appears to be the same as the one sent us on 1/5/17. I say this because I experienced the same issue as you. It's not prompting me to update when the USB is inserted. I wish it would have addressed additional bugs, but still relieved that it fixed the frustrating rebooting problem on 1/5/17 instead of dealing with that problem until 1/18. I guess we were 'Beta Testers'.
For all you iPhone users, take solace in the fact that Car Play is compatible with the VLINE and you can take advantage of using your phone to make and take calls, although not perfectly. Android phone uses at this point have no ability to use the phone in that manner. Hopefully Grom and Google will come to an agreement which will make AndroidAuto compatible. Wouldn't that be extremely beneficial to both companies as far as sales is concerned?
Old 01-21-17, 03:05 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hey GarageB,
We both seem to have benefited from the early release of the USB update sent to us on 1/5/17. In your case it appears that you have the Gen 5 VLINE unit which needed Ver. 25 update, and I have the Gen 4 VLINE unit which the Ver. 8 worked with. I was optimistic in my case that the Ver. 8 update released to the general public on 1/18/17 would have include additional bug fixes, but it appears to be the same as the one sent us on 1/5/17. I say this because I experienced the same issue as you. It's not prompting me to update when the USB is inserted. I wish it would have addressed additional bugs, but still relieved that it fixed the frustrating rebooting problem on 1/5/17 instead of dealing with that problem until 1/18. I guess we were 'Beta Testers'.
For all you iPhone users, take solace in the fact that Car Play is compatible with the VLINE and you can take advantage of using your phone to make and take calls, although not perfectly. Android phone uses at this point have no ability to use the phone in that manner. Hopefully Grom and Google will come to an agreement which will make AndroidAuto compatible. Wouldn't that be extremely beneficial to both companies as far as sales is concerned?
CarPlay really isn't usable for making or taking calls. My factory bluetooth works just fine with the vline, though, and that is the way I take and make calls. I use an iPhone, but not sure why an android phone would be any different. If a call comes in, I hit the phone pickup on my steering wheel and everything switches to the car handsfree ....
Old 01-21-17, 03:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I for one, still can't even install v25 which GROM has officially released. The OTA worked like a charm, but it still won't accept VBASE v25. Anyone else in this boat? I tried multiple USBs, and i know they are working and being detected because I get the pop-up to install the new firmware. And, these are the same USBs I've used in the past to update the VBASE, which worked perfectly.
Old 01-21-17, 04:06 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

CarPlay really isn't usable for making or taking calls. My factory bluetooth works just fine with the vline, though, and that is the way I take and make calls. I use an iPhone, but not sure why an android phone would be any different. If a call comes in, I hit the phone pickup on my steering wheel and everything switches to the car handsfree ....
Hi rehr0001,
It wasn't clear to me that CarPlay was not actually unusable for making and taking calls. So it sounds like the VLINE has NO way of supporting either iPhone or Android phone users the ability to place or receive calls through the VLINE unit itself. Unfortunately I own a 2004 GX470 which didn't offer the Bluetooth feature at that time. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?