Yup, did a hard reset.
Click on CP icon. Click on Activation menu item 10 times
Old 01-24-17, 11:20 AM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Click on CP icon. Click on Activation menu item 10 times
Eureka! That worked. Thanks GROM team the continuing support.
Old 01-24-17, 04:48 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyb1212id
Eureka! That worked. Thanks GROM team the continuing support.
Hi hyb1212id,
I'm happy to hear you were able to get up and running. As I've said before, the customer/technical support at GROM has been excellent. GROM has a great support team working for them.
Meanwhile I'm a bit confused regarding the Car Play's integration through the VLINE. Are iPhone users able to make/receive calls completely through the VLINE, or is it a mix between the VLINE and the cars factory installed Bluetooth. I only ask this because I am an Android phone user and as of now the VLINE offers no integration for calling/receiving calls. I've been told that they will have a fix in a few months. But I own a 2004 GX470 and Bluetooth was not an available option. So if it doesn't go completely through the VLINE's on board Bluetooth, I still won't be able to make/receive calls.
Please advise, and congratulations.
Old 01-24-17, 06:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hi hyb1212id,
I'm happy to hear you were able to get up and running. As I've said before, the customer/technical support at GROM has been excellent. GROM has a great support team working for them.
Meanwhile I'm a bit confused regarding the Car Play's integration through the VLINE. Are iPhone users able to make/receive calls completely through the VLINE, or is it a mix between the VLINE and the cars factory installed Bluetooth. I only ask this because I am an Android phone user and as of now the VLINE offers no integration for calling/receiving calls. I've been told that they will have a fix in a few months. But I own a 2004 GX470 and Bluetooth was not an available option. So if it doesn't go completely through the VLINE's on board Bluetooth, I still won't be able to make/receive calls.
Please advise, and congratulations.
CarPlay does allow you to make calls through the GROM's microphone and car speakers, so yes completely through the VLINE.

Although I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to the car's bluetooth handsfree system as audio quality is subpar on the VLine especially with the echo (at least as of now). But, in your case it's certainly better than not having a handsfree solution.
Old 01-24-17, 07:20 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
CarPlay does allow you to make calls through the GROM's microphone and car speakers, so yes completely through the VLINE.

Although I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to the car's bluetooth handsfree system as audio quality is subpar on the VLine especially with the echo (at least as of now). But, in your case it's certainly better than not having a handsfree solution.
Thanks hypervish. So for the rest of us Android users, Grom has to come to an agreement with Google allowing Grom's VLINE to integrate with their Android Auto app. Or Grom either partners with another app developer or write their own dialer/contact app. I don't fully understand what's going on between Google/Grom. Maybe $$$. But wouldn't that have been the issue with Apple also. Pretty ironic if that's case. Wasn't to long ago when Apple software would only work on an Apple product.
As far as the audio quality of the VLINE, IMO, the VLINE actually enhances the audio of anything I run thru it. For example FM radio, AM talk shows, CD's, which I can't explain considering that I have the "Mark Levinson" audio system option.
Anyway I'm glad to hear you Iphone user's are happy campers.
Regards
Old 01-25-17, 06:23 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the audio quality of the VLINE, IMO, the VLINE actually enhances the audio of anything I run thru it. For example FM radio, AM talk shows, CD's, which I can't explain considering that I have the "Mark Levinson" audio system option.
Anyway I'm glad to hear you Iphone user's are happy campers.
Regards
I find the audio quality through CarPlay is even superior to the already good quality when I am using bluetooth through the VLINE (I have not tried to run any other audio through the VLINE's system).

I can confirm as an iphone user, life with the VLINE keeps getting better
Old 01-30-17, 10:23 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So i've been running on this gromvl1_lex5_25.hex for two weeks. The first 4 days it was running okay (still had issues connecting the BT with my phone, I would have to turn off BT and turn back on for audio to stream, it seemed to fix the ability for me to reverse track where before I had major issues with that; it had a major issue of streaming bluetooth audio while navigation was going as well, rather than hearing the directions, it would just make a silent noise gap whereas before this was no issue).

After the 4 days, my unit would absolutely NOT boot up at all, just the constant boot reloops. When I stick the the thumb drive back in (sometimes, maybe 1 out of 5) it would somehow make it boot up properly again but after the next startup, it would go back to boot reloops. Can I get a replacement box shipped out to me? I must have a lemon because other users do not seem to be experiencing the terrible issues I've been going through. I can't even listen to anything on my phone, instead I have to play it through my phone's speaker.

I've tried everything from doing a hard reset by pulling all the cables off of the device with the car off to trying various times of plugging the USB stick in and out. I'm out of ideas on how to make this thing work as it is intended to do and I'm sick of seeing that damn Vline logo constantly turn on and then transform into vertical lines, boot looping. These device is so frustrating.

Last edited by wildta; 01-30-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 11:01 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
So i've been running on this gromvl1_lex5_25.hex for two weeks. The first 4 days it was running okay (still had issues connecting the BT with my phone, I would have to turn off BT and turn back on for audio to stream, it seemed to fix the ability for me to reverse track where before I had major issues with that; it had a major issue of streaming bluetooth audio while navigation was going as well, rather than hearing the directions, it would just make a silent noise gap whereas before this was no issue).

After the 4 days, my unit would absolutely NOT boot up at all, just the constant boot reloops. When I stick the the thumb drive back in (sometimes, maybe 1 out of 5) it would somehow make it boot up properly again but after the next startup, it would go back to boot reloops. Can I get a replacement box shipped out to me? I must have a lemon because other users do not seem to be experiencing the terrible issues I've been going through. I can't even listen to anything on my phone, instead I have to play it through my phone's speaker.

I've tried everything from doing a hard reset by pulling all the cables off of the device with the car off to trying various times of plugging the USB stick in and out. I'm out of ideas on how to make this thing work as it is intended to do and I'm sick of seeing that damn Vline logo constantly turn on and then transform into vertical lines, boot looping. These device is so frustrating.
Try not to start the engine right away. Like turn the ignition to ON and wait like 2-3 seconds and then start the Engine. That seems to work fine for me.
I heard from them that they are still working on the firmware to fix startup issues. With version gromvl1_lex5_25.hex , Its a lot better than before but not perfect. It seems like there is still issue when starting the car first thing in morning and the engine needs a more time to get going is when the bootloops appear.
Old 01-30-17, 11:08 AM
Anatoliy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is another problem, hitting 3 times on the scan button to open the sound settings native screen would not longer work.
Old 01-30-17, 12:01 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

I have not been driving the lexus lately but I moved the GPS module to under the dash (instead of on top as i had it) and added a usb extension to an adapter that fits in the cigarette lighter hole this weekend. I played with it a bit as i wanted to test the USB extension and so far everything works but the podcast app in carplay was misbehaving badly. The play/pause and 15 sec advance or reverse buttons would not work. The audio played if i controlled it from the phone, then the podcast app stopped showing anything at all. The music app would show the artist info but the podcast app would just show a black screen.

I thought it could be because of the USB extension but I turned the car off for a while and then connected the phone directly to the vline and behaved exactly the same.

So far carplay still needs some work, but at least for me the unit boots correctly every time.
Old 01-30-17, 04:48 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

So i've been running on this gromvl1_lex5_25.hex for two weeks.
I suggest making sure you're on V25. Put gromvl1.hex (V25 !) on USB stick, attach to bottom USB port (directly without extension) and disconnect VLine from power. Wait few seconds and plug it back in. Try turning the ignition after 30 seconds or so.
Old 01-30-17, 06:35 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Try not to start the engine right away. Like turn the ignition to ON and wait like 2-3 seconds and then start the Engine. That seems to work fine for me.
I heard from them that they are still working on the firmware to fix startup issues. With version gromvl1_lex5_25.hex , Its a lot better than before but not perfect. It seems like there is still issue when starting the car first thing in morning and the engine needs a more time to get going is when the bootloops appear.
Hey specONE,
I'm using the gromvl1_lex4_8.hex version and our unit has the same startup problem. I figured out the same solution of waiting a second or two before actually starting the car, i.e. put the key in, turn to accessory, pause a second or two and then engage the starter. That works all the time to eliminate the vertical lines and directly start the VLINE.
It's crazy all the idiosyncrasies this product has, and the secret solutions needed to get around them. Hit that button 10 times, or hit the disc button 3 times. It's great that we have this forum available to exchange our VLINE tips and tricks with one another. Mean while there are still a lot of software bugs which can only be fixed with firmware updates. Maybe starting a separate thread with only a list compiled of user found VLINE bugs which the VLINE technical support crew can use as a guide for future updates.
Old 01-31-17, 09:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Is there an estimate for a final, stable product?

I'm intrigued by the idea of this, but I could not spend the money and then have to deal with constant tech support as it seems the current users have to. Surely there is an end point that Grom is hoping to get to that will be considered a stable, production ready model?
Old 01-31-17, 09:48 AM
JKStylez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is exactly how i feel. I am very excited about this product however, i just dont have the time to get this installed and have constant "upkeep" to keep it running in some form. I am ready to purchase this product, but also waiting for a stable product to be released. I cant get myself to shell out the money for what i perceive as an incomplete system.

If GromAudio wanted to give me a PM when the software is stable, I am ready to purchase.
Old 01-31-17, 12:58 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey specONE,
I'm using the gromvl1_lex4_8.hex version and our unit has the same startup problem. I figured out the same solution of waiting a second or two before actually starting the car, i.e. put the key in, turn to accessory, pause a second or two and then engage the starter. That works all the time to eliminate the vertical lines and directly start the VLINE.
It's crazy all the idiosyncrasies this product has, and the secret solutions needed to get around them. Hit that button 10 times, or hit the disc button 3 times. It's great that we have this forum available to exchange our VLINE tips and tricks with one another. Mean while there are still a lot of software bugs which can only be fixed with firmware updates. Maybe starting a separate thread with only a list compiled of user found VLINE bugs which the VLINE technical support crew can use as a guide for future updates.
Thanks for the hint. We cannot fully replicate here, but at least the cause is clear. Should have something to try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?