IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 12:54 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
It'd be nice if they could get the GROM VLINE working on our cars first before releasing another unfinished product.
Finalizing latest update on all configurations we have here. Everything will be fixed next week.
Old 02-10-17, 06:17 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ​​​​​​​AndroidAuto Not Compatiable with Grom VLINE

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Since Google released it in GP in November
Hello Grom,

I've been waiting for the VLINE to be compatible with Google's AndroidAuto app for awhile now, and as of a 3 weeks ago (1-23-17, exactly), was told that before the summer of 2017 Grom would have a Bluetooth calling feature software update available. Not a full fledged AndroidAuto type app, just the ability to place and receive calls through the VLINE unit. I think I'd be happy with that ability. So after your response to my inquiry, and although not feeling very optimistic, I figured let's give it the benefit of the doubt. The attached pix's are the result of trying to download the app from Google Play Store onto the Grom VLINE. I tried 2 or 3 times, but it appears to me anyway, that it's still not compatible. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. Is there a different version available some where other than Play Store. Please advise.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails anyone getting the grom vline?-androidauto1.jpg   anyone getting the grom vline?-androidauto2.jpg   anyone getting the grom vline?-androidauto3.jpg  
Old 02-10-17, 08:22 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Hello Grom,

I've been waiting for the VLINE to be compatible with Google's AndroidAuto app for awhile now, and as of a 3 weeks ago (1-23-17, exactly), was told that before the summer of 2017 Grom would have a Bluetooth calling feature software update available. Not a full fledged AndroidAuto type app, just the ability to place and receive calls through the VLINE unit. I think I'd be happy with that ability. So after your response to my inquiry, and although not feeling very optimistic, I figured let's give it the benefit of the doubt. The attached pix's are the result of trying to download the app from Google Play Store onto the Grom VLINE. I tried 2 or 3 times, but it appears to me anyway, that it's still not compatible. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. Is there a different version available some where other than Play Store. Please advise.
Thanks.
I did a google search for the apk, downloaded, installed it, but uninstalled it. If I remember correctly the resolution is too small to properly display it. I don't really remember what the problem was, but I do remember that when I checked it was basically useless.Don't know if any newer version of the Android Auto are out there that might run better on the Vline now.
Old 02-10-17, 08:39 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mannysanch
I did a google search for the apk, downloaded, installed it, but uninstalled it. If I remember correctly the resolution is too small to properly display it. I don't really remember what the problem was, but I do remember that when I checked it was basically useless.Don't know if any newer version of the Android Auto are out there that might run better on the Vline now.
Thanks mannysanch,
I did the same about a month ago with the same result, useless. After getting that post from Grom, 2 days ago I was optimistic about his post. As I said, I immediately tried downloading the app and now it states that it's not compatible and won't even allow a download. Not sure why he's making a statement like that. Has anyone tried the Headunit Reloaded app, referenced by specONE https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...b.xxy.hr&hl=en yesterday (2/9/17)?
Regards
Old 02-12-17, 12:40 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
You might want to try out installing Headunit Reloaded app on the Vline

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr&hl=en
Thx! Will check it out this weekend. Looks like it'll fulfill my needs once Grom figures out how to stabilize their OS.

I just updated to v26 and the system still gets boot loops. Reverse track works now and I get title art but if I hit reverse track on the steering wheel too many times in a row, BT will force close and won't the BT operations won't restart itself unless I reboot the entire system. Initial opinion: Really not much improvement. Will continue to play with this version.
Old 02-12-17, 05:36 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Default AndroidAuto compatibilty with the Grom VLINE

I suggest using 3rd party apk downloads and side installing it.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/
There will be no way for Android Auto (server version) to work on VLine in the current state as it requires full featured Bluetooth stack (SPP/A2DP/HFP) and other things to be supported. We were told by Google around 1.5years ago that AA will be available via USB streaming, but since then no more official confirmations on pure USB implementation (the way CP is working). No support (library) for integrators like us (they claim no resources for that).
Hello Grom,
First off let me say that this post is only directed to the support tech who responded to my inquiry posted on 2/8/17. In the past I have posted and given credit to Grom many times for their excellent customer/technical service and support. But I'm having a problem with his product support/information.
Case in point:
On 2/8/17 I asked him, "How long has Android Auto been compatible with the VLINE unit?". On 2/9/17 he responded, "Since Google released it in GP in November". With that info I went on with what amounted to a fools errand of trying to download AndroidAuto from Google Play to the VLINE, resulting in nothing but disappointment and a waste of my time.
The fact is that the AndroidAuto app available on Google Play Store now or in the past has never been compatible with the Grom VLINE.
I find his actions to be misleading and detrimental to the credibility of the Grom Company's reputation. As witnessed by the amount of issues the members of this forum are working through regarding the Grom VLINE, all of us here need to believe that the support/guidance supplied by Grom is true and accurate resulting in success.

Now after admitting yesterday that AA is really not compatible with the VLINE he suggests using 3rd party apk downloads and side installing it. Really, a few words of instruction.
If he actually wanted to help all of us android phone users waiting for the ability to place/receive calls through the VLINE, I think his solution, if there really is a solution, needs and warrants a detailed explanation. 3rd party apk downloads?? Side installing it??? Who is he talking to, one of his tech colleagues?? What is a 3rd party apk??? Does he mean an app? And BTW, maybe he could explain side installing. I would not expect him to do my job, don't expect me to do yours.
I think that Grom would consider this feature to be a high priority, and post a step by step video on how to get it up and running immediately.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails anyone getting the grom vline?-androidauto3.jpg  
Old 02-12-17, 10:31 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

The fact is that the AndroidAuto app available on Google Play Store now or in the past has never been compatible with the Grom VLINE.
I find his actions to be misleading and detrimental to the credibility of the Grom Company's reputation. As witnessed by the amount of issues the members of this forum are working through regarding the Grom VLINE, all of us here need to believe that the support/guidance supplied by Grom is true and accurate resulting in success.
The app is compatible and we verified it with directly downloading and installing the app through direct link to GP skipping GP app. Here is the link: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/ Simply follow it and install directly from Google server via File Manager. We will check why exactly GP thinks it is not compatible, but in fact *it is compatible* (except Phone part of course).
What is a 3rd party apk??? Does he mean an app?
Here is my quote: I suggest using 3rd party apk downloads - apkmirror.com is exactly that. It let you download app directly without using GP app and its built in compatibility checks. The app is downloaded from the same server, same app, same signature. The difference is that you download it first and then install it using built-in package manager. It is called: side loading or manual install..
Hope it is clear now.
Old 02-13-17, 01:29 PM
wildta
Rookie

I think that Grom would consider this feature to be a high priority, and post a step by step video on how to get it up and running immediately.
Regards
I couldn't agree with you more. IMO, GROM should really focus on baking Android Auto (it should be the AA that allows you to hook up your phone via USB and project it onto the navi) directly into the base OS as it is a very nice and easy to use interface while driving. The Head Unit Reloaded app does this projection method but of course you have to install GApps and then the Reloaded app (btw, thanks specONE for recommending this; for other users, there's a trial version for testing and then a paid version); I'd really prefer not to have to install GApps at all to reduce boot up time and stability (since stability seems like a difficult task to achieve for Grom thus far).

Re: v26 firmware. I did a factory reset, applied the firmware, (played with Head Unit Reloaded by installing GApps, the Reloaded app is really great) did another factory reset because I want a clean system to be a "beta tester" (seriously what a joke) and reconfirmed firmware version in settings. Bugs experience in past two days:
  1. Boot loops continue immediately upon starting car. One way around it is to turn ignition to accessories for 5 seconds before turning ignition to start.
  2. Bluetooth connects but sometimes no sound streams through even though the song data gets transferred.
  3. Reverse track appears to work now but not consistently. It will allow me to reverse track once but no more. If I hit reverse track too many times, the BT operation will error and force close. I can't figure out how to get BT started again without turning system off (turning engine off) as I've tried in vline settings as well as phone BT settings as well as system apps (BT related apps).
  4. When I'm able to get songs to stream, the song will play somewhere between 45-60 seconds before vline gets a blank screen and reboots. It does not do a boot reloop and will restart into the OS.
  5. OS will sometimes stay stuck in the BT plugin app and there's no way I'm able to access anything else within OS. It's basically frozen in that screen.

Last edited by wildta; 02-15-17 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 02:44 PM
rally333
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WiFi hotspot

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I bought a Huawei wingle (USB stick type 4G wifi hotspot, type e8373 ) to work as wifi access point for the vline.

I plugged it in the 12v socket under the arm rest (using a car charger to USB plug) and it works well.
The nice thing is that it activates when I start the car so I don't have to bother activating a wifi hotspot manually.

I subscribed to a cheap 1gb per month data plan which should be sufficient for the way I use the vline (Waze and streaming (Bloomberg) radio)

By the way I'm still waiting for grom to fix the CarPlay phone call echo problem.

good luck all

Last edited by rally333; 02-13-17 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added Huawei wingle type
The following 3 users liked this post by rally333:
Cpartipilo (02-15-17), KYLS (04-12-17), wildta (02-15-17)
Old 02-16-17, 07:34 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Default Grom VLINE compatibility with AndroidAuto

The app is compatible and we verified it with directly downloading and installing the app through direct link to GP skipping GP app. Here is the link: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/ Simply follow it and install directly from Google server via File Manager. We will check why exactly GP thinks it is not compatible, but in fact *it is compatible* (except Phone part of course).
Here is my quote: I suggest using 3rd party apk downloads - apkmirror.com is exactly that. It let you download app directly without using GP app and its built in compatibility checks. The app is downloaded from the same server, same app, same signature. The difference is that you download it first and then install it using built-in package manager. It is called: side loading or manual install..
Hope it is clear now.
Hello Grom,
Thanks for responding, unfortunately your response in my case I think is going to generate question after question. That is why I suggested a video, or step by step instructions.
1). Just to get started, am I going to download the apk and eventually AndroidAuto onto my cell phone and use it thru the phone? Or download it to the Grom VLINE and be able to set it up, and access it from an icon on the VLINE.
2). Next which variant of the AndroidAuto apk am I to download?
Thank you
Old 02-19-17, 07:52 AM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed the V-Line and very impressed so far. Waze, Pandora, and youtube work flawlessly and very impressed with the voice recognition. The only bug I'm experiencing is when bluetooth streaming from my iPhone. Everything is paired but I will lose audio when streaming.
Old 02-20-17, 06:11 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1). Just to get started, am I going to download the apk and eventually AndroidAuto onto my cell phone and use it thru the phone? Or download it to the Grom VLINE and be able to set it up, and access it from an icon on the VLINE.
Head Unit Reloaded as specONE and wildta have mentioned will allow you to have the actual AA interface and everything, except for routing call audio to the VLINE, but since you'll probably have the phone connected to the car's BT you should be ok. You can dial, answer and hangup calls through the AA interface on the VLINE. My only gripe is that I can't make Play Music access my usb drive to play my music... and Poweramp is not supported in AA @ the moment. There are some alternatives, but I would really rather see PA be compatible with AA.

2). Next which variant of the AndroidAuto apk am I to download?
You want the arm version,but with HUR app you don't really need to install AA on the VLINE as it will work just like it would with a regular AA head unit. I connect my phone via usb, and the AA interface comes up on the screen. The app is really worth the $8.

@gromaudio

Is it me, or is the "tap SCAN 3 times to access sound menu" option broken? I'm on v25, I'll update tomorrow to see if it works for me on v27.
Old 02-20-17, 07:00 PM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by mannysanch
Head Unit Reloaded. The [HUR] app is really worth the $8.
I agree. It is definitely worth the price with the major benefit of not having to wait for Grom to make a stable OS with a baked in AA. I just need vline to work as it should and all will be well.

BTW, it's really confusing and deceiving when Grom recommends to users to download the AA apk from a 3rd party and sideload it. Doing that is really more like using AA as a vline launcher than using it as an app to cast/project Google Now and compatible apps from your phone onto your navi.
Old 02-20-17, 09:45 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Grom now has the "Lexus Toyota 2010-2012 GROM VLine Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface" for pre-ordering..

My only Major issue I have so far with ordering is the "LOW" and outdated hardware specification "Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash".

For people with the latest firmware on the hardware "Lexus Toyota 2006-2009", besides the "bugs/issues" what is the performance/user experience/loading like?

Thanks
Old 02-21-17, 08:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Grom now has the "Lexus Toyota 2010-2012 GROM VLine Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface" for pre-ordering..

My only Major issue I have so far with ordering is the "LOW" and outdated hardware specification "Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash".

For people with the latest firmware on the hardware "Lexus Toyota 2006-2009", besides the "bugs/issues" what is the performance/user experience/loading like?

Thanks
GROM shipped me a replacement VLINE with the newest firmware since mine would not update. And, I must say, it's much better now. The VLINE is actually relatively quick now for what it is, I didn't install any GApps yet and I don't plan on doing so for awhile. The backup camera finally works. And, CarPlay seems to be working better now as well. I haven't tried bluetooth streaming yet since It appears that it is still buggy.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?