IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 09:32 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Grom now has the "Lexus Toyota 2010-2012 GROM VLine Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface" for pre-ordering..

My only Major issue I have so far with ordering is the "LOW" and outdated hardware specification "Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash".

For people with the latest firmware on the hardware "Lexus Toyota 2006-2009", besides the "bugs/issues" what is the performance/user experience/loading like?

Thanks
Let me preface this by saying I am a VERY happy VLine user. I ran into a few wrinkles in the beginning that were promptly ironed out by Grom.

The one issue that still kind of, almost, bugs me, is the navigation feature for Google Maps does not work if I am connected to the internet. I can use navigation feature if I am in offline mode in an area where I have downloaded the maps, but once I try to navigate while connected to the WiFi, Google maps force closes. My gut tells me it's because of the hardware specs, however, I won't go on record saying that.

I have not seen anyone else complain about it. I don't even know if anyone else has had this issue. That being said, having Waze on the nav is amazing, also, having CarPlay in my car is about as good of a simple tech upgrade as you can get, IMO.

Overall, I'm very satisfied and 10/10 would buy again, but I understand the firmware for some newer car models were still having the bootloop issue. For my unit, that was addressed in one of the December updates and I have not looked back since. Hope that helps.

Last edited by regeenoble; 02-21-17 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 05:45 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mannysanch
@gromaudio

Is it me, or is the "tap SCAN 3 times to access sound menu" option broken? I'm on v25, I'll update tomorrow to see if it works for me on v27.
Upgraded... now pressing SCAN 3 times does absolutely nothing. Before at least the screen would flash like it was going to change to the audio controls, but now there's no indication that I'm pressing any buttons at all. Anybody else seeing this behaviour, or just me?
Old 02-21-17, 09:52 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V line working good since saturday. Not one crash or reboot necessary. Only issue now is getting local music to play. I imported some podcasts on to my micro sd and the v line is not recognizing the music. I installed the direct tv ap and very limited. Not easy to navigate and was able to play only a few videos. Neflix ap recognizes library but won't play vids. Youtube works perfectly. Waze with pandora is flawless. Pretty happy for week one.
Old 02-24-17, 09:22 AM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone having problems with local music? The v line does not recognize any of the music on my micro SD card.

Also, My iPhone doesn't automatically pair up via bluetooth to factory unit. I have to do manually before I drive if i want to make phone calls through the factory system. That is the biggest annoyance so far.

The web radio is awesome though! Sound quality far superior than XM.
Old 02-24-17, 04:33 PM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi fellas,

So... I purchased this during the presale under the hopes carplay would be enabled soon although many reported it was working outside the box. Hence, I was pretty stoked. Well, long story short, finally had an opportunity to install it after traveling for work, school, family and life. All appears to be working ok yet carplay is not available... Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks y'all.
Old 02-24-17, 06:48 PM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tripp03
Hi fellas,

So... I purchased this during the presale under the hopes carplay would be enabled soon although many reported it was working outside the box. Hence, I was pretty stoked. Well, long story short, finally had an opportunity to install it after traveling for work, school, family and life. All appears to be working ok yet carplay is not available... Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks y'all.
Per GROM, try "Click on CP icon. Click on Activation menu item 10 times"
Old 02-25-17, 08:25 AM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hyb1212id
Per GROM, try "Click on CP icon. Click on Activation menu item 10 times"
Thank you so much! That worked
Old 02-25-17, 08:40 AM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lev
Anyone having problems with local music? The v line does not recognize any of the music on my micro SD card.
Yeah, I had the same issue. Ended up breaking the sd card in the slot trying to get it in and out. A couple of us gave Grom the feedback.
Old 02-27-17, 10:16 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Grom now has the "Lexus Toyota 2010-2012 GROM VLine Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface" for pre-ordering..

My only Major issue I have so far with ordering is the "LOW" and outdated hardware specification "Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz 1GB RAM, 16GB Flash".

For people with the latest firmware on the hardware "Lexus Toyota 2006-2009", besides the "bugs/issues" what is the performance/user experience/loading like?

Thanks
You're absolutely right that the hardware is very outdated. I've stated to Grom that I would have gladly paid $100 for a newer CPU like Qualcomm 810 or something similar. It's likely that these are just old boxes from China with a Grom OS so they didn't have much choice in the matter. Regarding the hardware, yes it is slow and yes you have to be patient--don't expect to be able to swipe and open apps at speeds like your current phone even when it's running pure stock. For example, boot up time with GApps is a solid 25+ seconds--that's a long time these days. Things are quicker if you are able to run Carplay or Android Auto since you're only using the navi as a projected screen and all apps are running via your phone's hardware. Grom still hasn't formally made any statements about AA being baked into the OS; they've only said you can download the AA apk which would then act like a launcher which would suck. If Grom doesn't bake in the AA, at the very least they should try to make sure the Headunit Reloaded Emulator app runs in a stable manner. The AA experience is amazing because it's design to be easy to use, ie while you're driving. The Grom OS experience is no different, probably worse because it's slow and not as easy to swipe, than using your phone while you're driving.

It seems like Carplay is working a whole lot better than AA, for starters because AA isn't even on vline yet, but CP still has some bug issues (at least from what I've read; I'm an Android user so you'll have to ask other CP users for their verdict). If you're an Android user, I'd say stay away until they get AA baked in or a stable firmware release so you can run the HeadUnit app. I'm about to install firmware v27 so I'll post my issues later this week.

Last edited by wildta; 02-27-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 10:20 AM
J504504
Driver School Candidate

Default Just ordered mine

It will be here tomorrow. Once I get it installed I will let yall know how it goes. Is there anything I should be aware of when I install this? 2008 lexus ls 460.
Old 02-27-17, 12:07 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J504504
It will be here tomorrow. Once I get it installed I will let yall know how it goes. Is there anything I should be aware of when I install this? 2008 lexus ls 460.
Put the main box in the glove compartment as you will need easy access to it especially since you'll have to update the firmware quite often until stability is reached, if it will ever be reached. It's been ~6 months since I've had mine and it's still not stable at all so my confidence is draining.
Old 02-27-17, 02:55 PM
J504504
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildta
Put the main box in the glove compartment as you will need easy access to it especially since you'll have to update the firmware quite often until stability is reached, if it will ever be reached. It's been ~6 months since I've had mine and it's still not stable at all so my confidence is draining.
Damn that sucks I will
Old 02-27-17, 04:04 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Just wanted to update on things we are working now.
1. Startup times. We were able to shave off 5sec off boot time, so on average you can expect ~18-19s boot time.
Will be available through next 2 OTAs this and next week.
2. Longer sleep time. Module will be in sleep for 1-4 hours (will adjust to your schedule) to be available when you need it instantly
Will be available via VBase USB update next week.
3. Smart scheduler. Still in works. Ideally will make it available instantly every time you need VLine without battery drain.
Should be available via second OTA from #1
You will get update via email blast directly when updates are ready.
Old 03-01-17, 12:21 PM
Teachustea
Driver School Candidate

Default Vline Carplay issues

I have had the VLine for my 06- GS450H since I believe the second week of October 2016. It has performed well and has constantly been improved. I encountered the boot loop issues in December or January but those were fixed with the most recent updates. it loads in under 30 seconds. I have loaded audio and video files on a 64 gb usb drive. I occasionally stream directly from my android phone. Google maps, web radio, pandora, and google music plugin all work fine when i use my mobile hotspot with either my S6 or Iphone6. I use the in-vehicle bluetooth for the phone connection with my android phone.

I have had an issue utilizing the carplay option with my iphone 6. I activated the carplay ui by pressing it 11 times. I plug my iphone into the usb1 port and the carplay icon briefly turns green then goes grey. When I go into phones Carplay menu it searches for a unit to connect to but never finds one. I tried a friends iphone 6 and had the same issue. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have a solution?
Old 03-01-17, 04:01 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Teachustea
I have had an issue utilizing the carplay option with my iphone 6. I activated the carplay ui by pressing it 11 times. I plug my iphone into the usb1 port and the carplay icon briefly turns green then goes grey. When I go into phones Carplay menu it searches for a unit to connect to but never finds one. I tried a friends iphone 6 and had the same issue. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have a solution?
Make sure to use Mass Storage (USB stick) on USB2, CP only works on USB1 !

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?