IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 05:34 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

In addition, we are still looking for beta-testers for Gen 6 stereos in the following vehicles:
2010-2011 Lexus LX570
2010-2012 Lexus LS460/600l
2010-2013 Lexus GX460
You need to be local to San Francisco Bay area, to participate.
If interested, please contact us at support at gromaudio.com
Thank you!
Old 04-03-17, 07:02 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you already released the 6th gen isf? 2012
Old 04-04-17, 11:22 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Have you already released the 6th gen isf? 2012
Yes, it is on the pre-order with the anticipated ship date of April 10th.
http://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl1-lex6.html

Thank you!
Old 04-04-17, 01:15 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

what kind of improvements are made to the 6th gen?
Old 04-06-17, 11:57 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by geero
what kind of improvements are made to the 6th gen?
LEX6VL1 is the same as LEX5VL1 and other VLine models, it is made to fit the Gen 6 Lexus stereos.

As for the improvements, we constantly improve VLine with OTA updates. Stay tuned for the next OTA, we plan to implement HDMI-IN and other improvements.
Old 04-06-17, 12:10 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks enticing! Although, I would like to see this system running Android 6.0 or newer. Android 5.1 is pretty outdated
Old 04-07-17, 02:34 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So can I buy a LEX6VL1 (at the pre-sale price) and a LEX5VL1 harness and use it in my 2008 LS600hl by loading LEX5VL1 firmware to it? The main unit looks to be identical to the LEX5VL1. For that matter is the harness different between the two, or is it just the firmware? I'm considering a 2012 ES350 in the future and it would be nice to have the flexibility to install it in either if there is nothing to prevent this. I think I will purchase it and check with GROM Tech Support on Monday to be sure this plan is sound. I'll report back with what I find.

Apple CarPlay alone makes me glad I got the LEX5VL1 in my 2007 LS460l. It is currently running v25 software, and although not perfect, I'm happy enough with it. I'd love to see updated hardware specs and software improvements (i.e. faster CPU, more memory, a smaller form factor, cell radio and onboard battery), and would not hesitate to purchase an upgrade if a new model with some or all of those features were to appear.

I just noticed that v27 software is available for the LEX5VL1. I'm on the fence about installing it for v25 addressed my main complaints, though I love that GROM continue to address issues by putting out new software to current customers. That is certainly not a given these days.

Last edited by KYLS; 04-08-17 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 05:42 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

would carplay allow you to run an ipod? if not is there an app that allows you to run an ipod or android mp3 player like the pioneer xdp-100?
Old 04-08-17, 07:05 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by KYLS
So can I buy a LEX6VL1 (at the pre-sale price) and a LEX5VL1 harness and use it in my 2008 LS600hl by loading LEX5VL1 firmware to it? The main unit looks to be identical to the LEX5VL1. For that matter is the harness different between the two, or is it just the firmware? I'm considering a 2012 ES350 in the future and it would be nice to have the flexibility to install it in either if there is nothing to prevent this. I think I will purchase it and check with GROM Tech Support on Monday to be sure this plan is sound. I'll report back with what I find.
Yes the main unit is the same. Technically it should work.
Originally Posted by KYLS
Apple CarPlay alone makes me glad I got the LEX5VL1 in my 2007 LS460l. It is currently running v25 software, and although not perfect, I'm happy enough with it. I'd love to see updated hardware specs and software improvements (i.e. faster CPU, more memory, a smaller form factor, cell radio and onboard battery), and would not hesitate to purchase an upgrade if a new model with some or all of those features were to appear.
We are rolling out new OTA upcoming week. with more fixes, better power management, startup times and more. We just got new 4G LTE modems that work with ATT and T-Mobile. All customers will get an email shortly.
As of faster and better specs, we will announce VL2 model with 3x faster MCU and 2GB RAM pretty soon. It will also support few other things.
The following users liked this post:
KYLS (04-09-17)
Old 04-09-17, 06:23 AM
Marcin
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We are rolling out new OTA upcoming week. with more fixes, better power management, startup times and more. We just got new 4G LTE modems that work with ATT and T-Mobile. All customers will get an email shortly.
As of faster and better specs, we will announce VL2 model with 3x faster MCU and 2GB RAM pretty soon. It will also support few other things.
I just preordered the LEX6VL1, should I just wait for the VL2?
Old 04-09-17, 01:14 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good news, I will wait and go to that from v25. Sadly my family plan is with Verizon. Any plan for a modem for them?

Any chance that "pretty soon" = less than 2 months? Might there be a need for beta testers for the pre-production model within that time period? If so, keep me in mind. Hopefully there is no plan to change the cables, so it is just a mater of unplugging the current VL main unit and swapping in this new one. Exciting news, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-10-17, 12:39 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried installing GROM VLINE in 2006 IS 350. I just couldn't get cables routed from behind the head system to the glove box. The video on GROM's web site omits the step which in my opinion was the most difficult one. Is there a better video that details how to get cables across? I think I might have to return the unit unless I can figure somehow to do this better.

I find it annoying that the installation video would skip the most difficult installation step. I viewed the video before buying the unit, but now feel mislead on the installation. I know this thread is for 2008+ cars, but did anyone have luck installing it in 2006+ model?
Old 04-10-17, 07:39 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
I tried installing GROM VLINE in 2006 IS 350. I just couldn't get cables routed from behind the head system to the glove box. The video on GROM's web site omits the step which in my opinion was the most difficult one. Is there a better video that details how to get cables across? I think I might have to return the unit unless I can figure somehow to do this better.

I find it annoying that the installation video would skip the most difficult installation step. I viewed the video before buying the unit, but now feel mislead on the installation. I know this thread is for 2008+ cars, but did anyone have luck installing it in 2006+ model?
How about you get a pro to install it at an car audio shop ?
Old 04-10-17, 07:42 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Nice, I've a Grom Vline on my LX470 and love it. Definitely a must as the car stereo was getting very outdated. If you guys make a newer version, perhaps you could make the unit case smaller so it's easier for us to install together with the original audio system and not loose the glove box.
Old 04-10-17, 09:50 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Music too my ears!! That is great news for those who would like to use the unit as more of a standalone device, especially as updates etc come out in the future and faster hardware will be a requirement.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?