IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 10:16 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pre-ordered the LEX6VL1, but it hasn't shipped yet. Is it possible to wait for the VL2?
Old 04-10-17, 10:32 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes the main unit is the same. Technically it should work.
Sadly, the response I just got to the GROM support ticket (#511231) I opened on Friday was, "The hardware for the most part is the same, The wiring is different and is currently not sold separately at this time.", from Jason Burgo 4/10 @ 12:14am.

Could you verify that the harness can't be obtained separately, and/or what the exact difference in wiring is. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron and can build my own harness if it comes down to that, though would rather not go through the extra trouble. I'm sure I'm not the only person that would like the ability to move a LEX5VL1 into a LEX6VL1 car or vice versa if the only difference is software and wiring.
Old 04-10-17, 02:55 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by charlesrg
How about you get a pro to install it at an car audio shop ?
Need to find a place to get it installed. I still find it pointless to post an "installation" video that skips critical steps.
Old 04-11-17, 12:13 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
Sadly, the response I just got to the GROM support ticket (#511231) I opened on Friday was, "The hardware for the most part is the same, The wiring is different and is currently not sold separately at this time.", from Jason Burgo 4/10 @ 12:14am.

Could you verify that the harness can't be obtained separately, and/or what the exact difference in wiring is. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron and can build my own harness if it comes down to that, though would rather not go through the extra trouble. I'm sure I'm not the only person that would like the ability to move a LEX5VL1 into a LEX6VL1 car or vice versa if the only difference is software and wiring.
The harness will be available separately, we will post the update once it is available. Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
KYLS (04-11-17)
Old 04-11-17, 12:57 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

And the 4G LTE Wifi Hotspot is here:
http://gromaudio.com/store/accessori...e-g-conl1.html

Comes with the USB car charger, works with ATT and T-Mobile.
Old 04-12-17, 10:06 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
Need to find a place to get it installed. I still find it pointless to post an "installation" video that skips critical steps.
I'm not sure what video are you referring as I did my install without video. If you have trouble I would recommend you get a pro install that should not take much time.
Old 04-12-17, 11:14 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesrg
Nice, I've a Grom Vline on my LX470 and love it. Definitely a must as the car stereo was getting very outdated. If you guys make a newer version, perhaps you could make the unit case smaller so it's easier for us to install together with the original audio system and not loose the glove box.
My guess is that having it in a smaller form factor is highly unlikely. I'm guessing they are buying these standard boxes from China and then installing a custom Android Cyanogen ROM to it. You'll still want to install it in the glove even if it's small because the likelihood of you requiring easy access to do a hard wire pull is very high because this device is still in an adolescent beta stage. I pull the power on mine almost on a weekly basis in order to do a hard reset quicker than waiting the 10+ seconds for the power to drain from it. You may also need easy access to the ports (USB, SD and HDMI).
Old 04-12-17, 01:58 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
My guess is that having it in a smaller form factor is highly unlikely. I'm guessing they are buying these standard boxes from China and then installing a custom Android Cyanogen ROM to it. You'll still want to install it in the glove even if it's small because the likelihood of you requiring easy access to do a hard wire pull is very high because this device is still in an adolescent beta stage. I pull the power on mine almost on a weekly basis in order to do a hard reset quicker than waiting the 10+ seconds for the power to drain from it. You may also need easy access to the ports (USB, SD and HDMI).
I'd be happy if it could sit flat at the bottom of the armrest compartment; easy to access and out of the way. There is a lot of empty space within the current Vline unit and really no need for the metal tabs that add to the size. China churns out lots of small android tablets, which is basically what the VLine is, but without a screen and battery. Many of those are better spec and provide cell radios. I'd also like an integrated HD radio, or at least the ability to add it on as an option. Headers for a remote power switch and USB/SD would allow it to mount elsewhere but still allow power cycles and such. Where there is a will there is a way. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by KYLS; 04-12-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:11 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Good news, I will wait and go to that from v25. Sadly my family plan is with Verizon. Any plan for a modem for them?
Unfortunately we cannot find anything that works well with Verizon.
Any chance that "pretty soon" = less than 2 months? Might there be a need for beta testers for the pre-production model within that time period? If so, keep me in mind. Hopefully there is no plan to change the cables, so it is just a mater of unplugging the current VL main unit and swapping in this new one. Exciting news, thanks for sharing.
We will announce once everything is ready for production. I think 2 months is a good estimate. We won't need beta testers for VL2. All cables and accessories will stay compatible.
The following users liked this post:
KYLS (04-13-17)
Old 04-17-17, 02:12 AM
loxs
Driver School Candidate

I have installed VLine and now my stock navigation is a blinking white screen. Same for reverse camera. Everything else (including VLine) works. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?
Old 04-20-17, 10:43 PM
solow01
Driver School Candidate

I installed it in my 2009 IS350 and even though I had issues routing the cables from behind the radio to the glove box I was able to do it. You'll have to loosen your glove box a bit (there are three screws along the top of the glove box), then stick your hand as far as possible behind the stereo and as far as possible in the glove box. Then you pass the cable from the glove box you'll feel the tip of the cable in the compartment behind the stereo.

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-17, 11:52 AM
solow01
Driver School Candidate

Default Hide the vertical bar

Is there a way to hide the vertical bar? Watching a movie sucks when you have the vertical bar the. Please help!
Old 04-24-17, 03:03 PM
fateh
Driver School Candidate

Anybody else with a Grom Vline having issues with Waze app? I have a Grom vline in a 07 LS460. Google maps works fine but I cannot connect to Waze. It is stuck on "searching network".. Thanks.
Old 04-24-17, 09:29 PM
solow01
Driver School Candidate

Angry vLine Overheating problems

Has anyone experienced the vline getting very hot? Mine has shut down twice now after an hour of use due (during long trips). To get the vline to start working again I'd have to restart the car. On both times it crashed recently, the box was very hot (I placed the vline box in the glove box for easy access). Has anyone else experienced this overheating issues? Has anyone had their vline crash due to overheating?
Old 04-25-17, 07:28 AM
regeenoble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fateh
Anybody else with a Grom Vline having issues with Waze app? I have a Grom vline in a 07 LS460. Google maps works fine but I cannot connect to Waze. It is stuck on "searching network".. Thanks.
I have had to uninstall and reinstall Waze a few times for various reasons and it has come back working perfectly every time. One time, I force closed it when it could not connect to the network after repeatedly opening and closing the app. After the force close it would not open at all. After the uninstall/reinstall it worked instantly. Hope that works.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?