IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 10:32 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't updated the thread in a while because I've been quite busy with travelling for work. Sorry!

The reboot loops are definitely fixed however the vline still reboots sporadically. These are the main issues I am still experiencing:
  1. Random reboots--sometimes they are 1min after starting car and other times they can be 15min later. It's really annoying because once it happened while using gmaps and caused me to miss a freeway exit. It took an extra 20min of sitting in traffic to get where I need to go. I've stopped relying on the vline for navigation now and solely only navigate using my phone's gmaps.
  2. Issues related to FWD/REV track while streaming via vline BT app. If I hit reverse track a few times, the app will close or sometimes the system will reboot. Other times the reverse track and forward track won't work at all.
  3. Gmaps shows night time mode all the time.
  4. About 50% of the time when I start my car, I get the Cyanogen boot screen. Grom's solution tells me that I should hook up a USB keyboard and select the reboot option--what a joke of a solution.
  5. About 25% of the time when I start my car, my entire radio system will shut OFF. When I turn the radio system ON, I am unable to get into the vline system. The only way to fix this is to turn off the car and unplug the box, replug it back in and then start the vehicle. So this leaves about 1 out of 4 times where the vline will actually start up normally.
  6. They still do not have Android Auto baked into the OS. You either have to sideload or use the HUR (Headend Unit Reloaded) app. It'd be great if they worked with the HUR app developer to get his app working perfectly with the system; he's a great developer and very responsive.
  7. When I access my quick dial contacts in the Lexus phone screen, the phone numbers of those users disappear (but sometimes they show up normally as well)--the names still show though. If I unplug the vline from the system, the numbers show up again.
  8. After a long drive, the GPS coordinates can be off/slow by up to a half mile; in other words, the nav will tell me to turn right about a quarter of a mile or more after I've already needed to turn right. A reboot of the entire system fixes this.
  9. Startup speeds have improved but could still improve much further.
This system is still super buggy and not worth $500 or the headaches it involves to get it working appropriately. I still recommend prospective buyers to wait until further development is made in the software.

Last edited by wildta; 05-05-17 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 10:47 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by jadeboy
The microphone works perfectly near the rear mirror on top. If you install the vline inside the glove compartment just slight force the microphone in through the one of the 2 rectangle holes from the side after removing the side cover, you can shave part of the microphone to make it easier. Then run the wiring up the pillar, there is no need to remove the pillar, just use some thin plastic wedge to push into the pillar and then you can run top on the windshield. The only negative thing is a longer than expected delay when you click on the microphone icon and the time you can actually speak what you want.
I did this as well. I have a 2008 RX and the factory mic is located under the plastic console in the ceiling where the garage buttons are. You'll see tiny 1cm long vent/grill, that's where it is. There's one on each side of that console on my car so if you get a different mic that's a little flatter, you can sneak a mic on the other vent making the system completely hidden.

I use my mic quite often (when my GROM is working) to use the "OK GOOGLE" function for calling contacts/businesses, address navigation, setting reminders, sending txt messages/whatsapp messages, etc. Maybe iPhone users have the same ability with Siri?

Last edited by wildta; 05-08-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 04:01 PM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildta
Are you having volume issues? I noticed the volume is lower when I am using HUR app via USB vs just streaming thru the GROM BT app?
I didn't notice any volume issues using Android auto or the BT app. I can test again in a little bit once I get into my car.

EDIT: just tested again from my trip to the store and back. No discernable difference between the two. At least none that I can hear.

Last edited by 10lexus350; 05-05-17 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (05-08-17)
Old 05-09-17, 12:58 AM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

@wildta I found this inside of headunit reloaded settings. You will need a Bluetooth keyboard or maybe even a mouse to be able to scroll down. It was checked by default. Might be the issue.

Old 05-09-17, 03:10 PM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by 10lexus350
@wildta I found this inside of headunit reloaded settings. You will need a Bluetooth keyboard or maybe even a mouse to be able to scroll down. It was checked by default. Might be the issue.
Thanks! I've tried that. You don't need a mouse or keyboard to scroll down, you can just swipe up directly on the screen. The issue with that option screen though is that there's no software "back/exit" button, and I've let the developer know and he said he's going to try to add it (you should let him know too via Google Play app review or a quick email: borconie@gmail.com). To get out of that screen, I usually just unplug my phone and plug it back in--all options selected will be saved once you make the change.

Also, if you're interested in reading more about the HeadUnit Reloaded app, here's the developer's discussion on it:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

Have you tried connecting via WiFi Direct? I've tried it and it works for about a split second and then stops; I think the issue lies with the GROM hardware/software and not the HUR app.

Last edited by wildta; 05-09-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 07:14 PM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildta
Thanks! I've tried that. You don't need a mouse or keyboard to scroll down, you can just swipe up directly on the screen. The issue with that option screen though is that there's no software "back/exit" button, and I've let the developer know and he said he's going to try to add it (you should let him know too via Google Play app review or a quick email: borconie@gmail.com). To get out of that screen, I usually just unplug my phone and plug it back in--all options selected will be saved once you make the change.

Also, if you're interested in reading more about the HeadUnit Reloaded app, here's the developer's discussion on it:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

Have you tried connecting via WiFi Direct? I've tried it and it works for about a split second and then stops; I think the issue lies with the GROM hardware/software and not the HUR app.
Man I've tried swiping up on that screen with no results what so ever. I haven't tried out the wifi connection on it yet. I can give it a try tomorrow.

Has anyone gotten the update that was supposed to go out today? I've checked a couple times today and there was nothing.
Old 05-09-17, 07:59 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Man I've tried swiping up on that screen with no results what so ever. I haven't tried out the wifi connection on it yet. I can give it a try tomorrow.

Has anyone gotten the update that was supposed to go out today? I've checked a couple times today and there was nothing.
No.. I just checked 5 min ago.
​​​
Old 05-10-17, 10:18 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Please note that swiping gesture on some touchscreens are not possible. It is not possible on GEN6 Lexus touchscreen to touch and swipe for VLINE function. We are currently redesigning some of the VLINE screens to accommodate this drawback and placing scroll arrows so it can be navigated fully.

As for the OTA and firmware update, We will be releasing update before end of this week so be on the lookout for it then.

Last edited by gromaudio; 05-10-17 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 02:52 PM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

I just updated to the newest firmware and software. GPS kind of works now. It still kind of wonky though. It seems to lose connection and heading a lot.

Edit: My bluetooth connection seems to be extremely spotty as well. It will disconnect after about 5 seconds of play. This thing is starting to become really frustrating and annoying. If it wasnt for headunit reloaded and android auto this thing would be going back already. I've tried factory resetting the VLINE and setting up all over again to no avail.

Last edited by 10lexus350; 05-11-17 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 10:38 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ignore for now.

Last edited by jadeboy; 05-11-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 03:51 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Edit: My bluetooth connection seems to be extremely spotty as well..
That is the latest OTA issue that we just discovered, apologize about it. We are working on the fix and will have an update early next week. So the advise is do not do OTA update now if you use the A2DP streaming with VLine.
If you do not use A2DP streaming with VLine, the information about the latest OTA update is here:

http://gromaudio.com/newsletter/vlin...017/index.html

Thank you.
Old 05-12-17, 04:27 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Here is an initial list of apps that we recommend for use with VLine, in addition to the pre-built music plugins (Spotify, GMusic, Web Radio and Locally Stored) and Google maps.

Maps
================
HERE WeGo
TomTom GPS Navigation Traffic
GPS Navigation & Maps Sygic
Waze

Music apps
================
Google play music
Spotify Music
Pandora
Sound Cloud
Tune In
Amazon Music

They all tested and work good.

Pandora playing on VLine in IS350

Last edited by gromaudio; 05-12-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 08:30 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes the main unit is the same. Technically it should work.
I got my LEX6VL1 unit a couple weeks back, but because of work/travel I am just now installing. It was a bit tricky to downgrade to LEX5 software, but I got that done with gromvl1_lex5_28.hex and then the latest over-air software from 5/13. I did this on both my current LEX5 unit and the new LEX6 in the same car (2007 LS460) to rule out potential cabling, install or software differences. After this both units behave identically, with one exception ... the backup camera on the LEX6 unit tries to switch over when I go into reverse, but only shows a black screen with vertical white lines. The LEX5 unit (still) works perfectly and shows an image. I've cold booted both by disconnecting all cables and reattaching to rule out a poor connection, yet I still get the same results. Did I get a bad unit? Has anyone else experienced backup camera issues with their VLine?

I will contact GROM tech support on Monday, just hoping fellow VLine owners might have the solution before then. Also, allow me to elaborate on what I mean by "a bit tricky" for downgrading a LEX6 with LEX5 software. You need to either have a LEX6 car to do this (which I don't), or hot swap from a LEX5 unit to the LEX6 (with a USB mouse attached) to perform this from a LEX5 car. It took me a while to figure that out, for the LEX6 software does not allow switching to the VLine screen when in a LEX5 car, nor does it allow touch screen interaction after the hot swap. It is impossible to perform the flash without seeing the screen, for you must navigate past a language/agreement screen and acknowledge your desire to apply the flash. Perhaps this information will save someone else frustration.

Last edited by KYLS; 05-15-17 at 04:00 PM. Reason: was using v28; not v27
Old 05-14-17, 04:08 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
... the backup camera on the LEX6 unit tries to switch over when I go into reverse, but only shows a black screen with vertical white lines.
Problem Solved? Ok, I'm answering my own post. I decided to go ahead and wire up my wife's LS600 regardless of the issue, figuring that GROM would either sort it out or replace the unit. Also considering it was Mother's Day, I figured I would give her the LEX5 and live without backup camera in my LS460 for the meantime. Once done with the wiring I decided to try the LEX6 in the LS600 before doing the swap, and low and behold the backup camera worked!!! Even though the plug for the GPS antenna is identical on both units, I noticed that there are some extra video/audio input dongles on the one that came with the LEX6, which my LEX5 lacked. Best I can tell the LEX6 requires the GPS antenna it came with to work properly, and it was plugging it into the older style LEX5 GPS antenna that was causing it to misbehave. Glad to have that issue behind me. I know my wife is going to love having CarPlay with the improved Nav and Apple Music. Now if I can get it washed before she returns, her special day will be complete. Perhaps a bit lame, but better than a kitchen appliance.

Update: Odd thing now is that this morning my LEX5 unit with the latest software is experiencing the same backup camera issue I was having with the LEX6. This had been working yesterday, and for months before running v24 in this car with the same cables. So now I'm wondering if it isn't a random software glitch and has nothing to do with the GPS antenna changes. I plan to contact Tech Support and am considering roll it back to v24 to see if that fixes it. I don't see any benefits in v28 that I need, and not having a backup camera is a big negative.

Update with Solution: Tech solution suggested unplugging to reset, and while trying this I found that the video cable connection is the issue. Pressing down on it or kinking the cables causes it to work. Waiting to see if a new cable will be provided under warranty, though not looking forward to pulling the radio again to replace.

Last edited by KYLS; 05-16-17 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added Update.
Old 05-17-17, 08:36 AM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else's Bluetooth break with this last update? It had been rock solid in the past and now it's connecting for roughly 5 seconds then dropping.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?