anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 08:49 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We are looking into instability after wake up. This is the Realtek driver issue, and not affecting all devices.
In the mean time the simplest way to restart:
Switch to VLine:
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track UP - repeat 3 times
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track DOWN - repeat 3 times
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track UP
It will show Recovery screen with ability to restart the system
This appears to be a regression in VBase. My unit came with version 24 or 25. I didn't realize that Vbase doesn't get updates along with main firmware for about a month, and while I had other issues, I never had this one. The WiFi problem only started happening with 28, so that might be the culprit.

I'll try the workaround to reboot the unit, but have high confidence that it'll help. Thanks,
Old 06-28-17, 10:32 AM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default carplay echo

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
Solution to CarPlay microphone echo? Caller can hear themselves speak, microphone is mounted below the mirror on an ls460
I had the echo at the beginning, but this week I relocated the unit to a permanent position and installed the mic in the upper A pillar, tested calls thru carplay and the people i called said i got no echo. Whatsapp voice notes also played fine incoming or outgoing.
Old 06-28-17, 10:49 AM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

@gromaudio

I'm fairly happy with the unit at this point because it does what I need, but i still have the following issues:

Car: 2008 Lexus RX350

Cannot access audio settings for the DISC input, and because the settings in this system stick to each input the sound vor the VLINE is flat and dull compared to the others. I press the scan button 3 times and the screen blinks and goes back to VLINE screen.
Sound output is low compared to AM, FM, TAPE, therefore when switching from VLINE to FM someone may get scared, not good while driving in a highway. (media volume is to the max)
Carplay screen draw still has issues, most of the time it starts all garbled, so i go back out to the dashlinq screen and return to carplay, then it shows perfect. Definitely a screen redraw issue.

Hopefully there is a way to increase the sound output thru the firmware. I also recommend that you guys work in an equilizer that works for the whole system, there is one in the local music player but that does not work for other apps like spotify, pandora, amazon music, etc.
Old 06-28-17, 01:09 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Originally Posted by Cpartipilo
@gromaudio

I'm fairly happy with the unit at this point because it does what I need, but i still have the following issues:

Cannot access audio settings for the DISC input, and because the settings in this system stick to each input the sound vor the VLINE is flat and dull compared to the others. I press the scan button 3 times and the screen blinks and goes back to VLINE screen.
Sound output is low compared to AM, FM, TAPE, therefore when switching from VLINE to FM someone may get scared, not good while driving in a highway. (media volume is to the max)
Carplay screen draw still has issues, most of the time it starts all garbled, so i go back out to the dashlinq screen and return to carplay, then it shows perfect. Definitely a screen redraw issue.

Hopefully there is a way to increase the sound output thru the firmware. I also recommend that you guys work in an equilizer that works for the whole system, there is one in the local music player but that does not work for other apps like spotify, pandora, amazon music, etc.
I had that exact same problem. You probably need to update your VBASE - which the kernel used by Vline. The original release of VLINE supported Over The Air updates of the software layer, but kernel had to be updated via a USB stick. The latest version of the kernel supports over the air updates, but you still need the USB stick update ONE MORE TIME to get to that release. Give it a shot and then the SCAN SCAN SCAN button will work. At least that's what fixed it for my 2008 IS 350.

The carplay screen drawing works fine if you enter the CARPLAY app before plugging in your phone. Yea, it's a bug, but at least it's easy to work around.
Old 06-28-17, 01:11 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

This is the screen draw issue i am talking about.

Last edited by Cpartipilo; 06-28-17 at 01:13 PM. Reason: cropped picture
Old 07-01-17, 02:23 PM
Cpartipilo
Driver School Candidate

@crazy_vag thanks, I updated my VBASE to the latest available and now hitting the scan button 3 times works for adjusting the audio settings for the input. That also helped mitigate the low audio output by allowing me to increase the treble and bass setting.
The following users liked this post:
crazy_vag (07-04-17)
Old 07-06-17, 12:53 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

when I try and use google maps offline I get a message that it can't connect to network and to try again later. When I am online I try and save a map but it says it is already saved so why doesn't google maps access the saved map when it is offline and not connected. My Android phone has no problems with this. I was expecting V-line to provide the same google maps features I have with my phone when it is offline. What's wrong with v-line?
Old 07-07-17, 07:23 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpartipilo
@gromaudio

I read through this whole thread... WHEW!!! I am on the fence with buying a Grom. I had it in my basket then thought I would check some forums before I completed the purchase. Reading this forum is downright scary to me. When I buy something I expect it to function as described. According to Grom's website this thing is supposed to be fully functional for:

Music Apps: Web Radio, Spotify, Google Music, Local (stored on the phone) music, Pandora, and others will be displayed on your car stereo screen. Use VLine plug-ins or open any app from Play Store.

Google and Waze maps: use Google and Waze maps for navigation and real time traffic updates, right from your car stereo navigation screen.

Voice Search: use voice control for navigation and music. No need to enter the address, you can simply tell your car where would you like to go.

Other apps: You can instal other apps available at Google Play. (*not all of them are optimized for driving)

Sound Quality: High quality pure crystal-clear sound, using your factory car stereo system.

Firmware upgrades: Over the air via internet download, and via USB.

Potential for future upgrades include: OBDII information right from your stereo screen; rear parking cameras and front facing cameras.

Wireless Bluetooth Mini Keyboard (sold separately): The keyboard is useful to input any information such as Wifi password or email into VLine. Connects via Bluetooth, easy to operate.

Integration with your existing system is seamless. You will keep all factory controls and features. You will be able to access FM radio, CD changer, use factory Bluetooth and so on.
------------------------------------
Nowhere does it say, "There are bugs and we are resolving with updates often but the updates could cause more problems."

But seriously, There are also a few users that post on this thread often about constant problems. It also appears a few users are happy for what the functions they want it for, such as Cpartipilo. (Silent majority not speaking?) I am not sure what Cpartipilouses but I mainly want to use GROM for Waze integration with my car's screen and streaming audio from the SD card in my phone. Anything else that actually works is gravy. BIG concern is if the GROM will affect connectivity with my existing car bluetooth for phone calls and also affecting my back up camera. I don't want to buy something that will cause problems for existing functions of my Lexus that work perfectly. What do you guys think? Is there a better way to output waze to my car screen (main importance) and streaming music to my headunit (secondary importance).

@GROM, your feedback would be greatly appreciated as your product sounds like what I want. But I don't want to shell out $500 for headaches when I can get that from my wife for free

PS
Car: 2008 LS600h L Mark Levinson
Phone: ASUS ZenFone Zoom 64GB ROM, 4GB RAM, Android 6.01 (any issues w/ GROM and this phone?)
Old 07-08-17, 06:44 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I purchased the bluetooth keyboard from GROM. When I try and connect I get a message that V-line cannot communicate with the keyboard. I have been able to connect and communicate with my tablet and android phone using the same keyboard. Why does the keyboard not work with V-line?
Old 07-10-17, 06:05 AM
Lev
Driver

Default Not detecting WIFI

I've been very happy with my from VLINE the past six months. Waze, pandora, youtube and mix cloud are great! However a new bug deems it worthless as its no longer detecting wifi networks. When I go to setting, wifi, the Vline prompts me to turn on wifi but the screen prompts are non responsive. The only temp fix is to physically unplug wire harness from unit in glovebox to reboot. Is anyone else experiences this? This only starting happening after the most recent update. I've been pretty patient and happy thus far but this issue makes unit worthless if I can't go online. Thanks!
Old 07-10-17, 11:05 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lev
I've been very happy with my from VLINE the past six months. Waze, pandora, youtube and mix cloud are great! However a new bug deems it worthless as its no longer detecting wifi networks. When I go to setting, wifi, the Vline prompts me to turn on wifi but the screen prompts are non responsive. The only temp fix is to physically unplug wire harness from unit in glovebox to reboot. Is anyone else experiences this? This only starting happening after the most recent update. I've been pretty patient and happy thus far but this issue makes unit worthless if I can't go online. Thanks!
Does it always happen, even when booting fresh ? Or only after deep sleep ? We will add option to disable deep sleep so the module always start from scratch until we resolve the recovery issue.
Old 07-10-17, 11:17 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it always happen, even when booting fresh ? Or only after deep sleep ?Gr We will add option to disable deep sleep so the module always start from scratch until we resolve the recovery issue.
2012 ISF
VCore VL2.0.3.0 VBase 31.8

This does NOT happen on a fresh boot.

This always happened after wifi get disconnected, then wifi no longer works until the next reboot, all attempts to fix is useless.

Do you have an ETA for this fix? The unit has become PITA to use now.

Additionally, the screen reboot hacked does not work.
Old 07-10-17, 12:01 PM
angelohorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking very hard or purchasing one, strictly for the carplay feature and seems like it doesn't have as many issues. If I were to use it strictly for the carplay, would I need to have a moblie hotspot, or does it use iphone's data for nav, and music?
Old 07-10-17, 03:01 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Originally Posted by Lev
Try this when it happens:
We are looking into instability after wake up. This is the Realtek driver issue, and not affecting all devices.
In the mean time the simplest way to restart:
Switch to VLine:
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track UP - repeat 3 times
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track DOWN - repeat 3 times
Tap on screen (anywhere) , press Track UP
It will show Recovery screen with ability to restart the system
The following users liked this post:
Lev (07-11-17)
Old 07-10-17, 06:47 PM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angelohorn
I am thinking very hard or purchasing one, strictly for the carplay feature and seems like it doesn't have as many issues. If I were to use it strictly for the carplay, would I need to have a moblie hotspot, or does it use iphone's data for nav, and music?
Correct, uses your phone and displays on the screen.

You may want wifi for system updates and stuff, but that's minimal.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?