IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 05:22 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Grom - why the distinction between self park and no self park? I bought mine at launch and have self park (08 460L). Are you not supporting us anymore? Any new update on a CarPlay fix?
No Park Assist cars are missing certain functionalities. We do support both cars now.
Old 11-17-17, 05:26 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by wildta
Grom, what's the status of building Android Auto directly into your custom Android ROM?
It is not going to happen unfortunately, Google was not in position to license their libraries to us.
Old 11-17-17, 05:31 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by newgsman
So its been a month and a half since I posted this
I suggest updating VLine to the latest versions in both Android and firmware on unit. Make sure no external USB devices are attached in the time being (to exclude USB driver issues). Make sure that Smart Scheduler is off (Dashliqn->Settings->Enable Smart Scheduler = OFF). If you have any software installed, roll it back, we see that some apps are glitching the system, especially those that rely on ads.
Old 11-17-17, 05:41 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by DaveAlbz
So after using a vehicle with Android Auto I decided to investigate getting one into my 2008 IS250. After reading all the posts, I want the Vline - however given the speed issues, am thinking will wait until either the new version comes out with faster processor, or it integrates Android Auto to use my phone for the grunt work.
Appreciate your question. VL2 will be on presale once we secure all parts and production starts. It will have around 3x faster MCU and 2GB RAM on board. 5G Wifi with best in class Broadcom chipset. Same 16GB Flash for apps. All existing VL1 are upgradeable, you will only need VC1 module swapped with VC2. We will post upgrade instructions once the presale starts. Everything else is the same. All wiring, connectors etc.
Old 11-17-17, 09:48 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

If the light is on that means its not in standby mode right? I think mine is DOA. No boot and no light off (even after over an hour with the car off). Sweet. Followed the instructions and video to the letter and already checked connections and tried multiple power cycles etc. Don't think there is much else I can try by myself at this point.

Not off to a great start.

Edit: Tried again after over a day with everything off, hoping it was a fluke. Still no luck. Hopefully tech support can help me get it figured out Monday. Hoping I don't have to RMA it but guess its not looking good.

Last edited by WillAP1; 11-19-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 12:40 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Appreciate your question. VL2 will be on presale once we secure all parts and production starts. It will have around 3x faster MCU and 2GB RAM on board. 5G Wifi with best in class Broadcom chipset. Same 16GB Flash for apps. All existing VL1 are upgradeable, you will only need VC1 module swapped with VC2. We will post upgrade instructions once the presale starts. Everything else is the same. All wiring, connectors etc.
Any update on CarPlay? Will it be remaining in it's current state (no wired audio) going forward?
The following users liked this post:
KYLS (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 10:12 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Any update on CarPlay? Will it be remaining in it's current state (no wired audio) going forward?
We wait until latest stable IOS build to avoid extra work. Seems like 11.2 will be out soon. If things are not fixed by Apple, we'll work on our end.
Old 11-20-17, 10:48 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WillAP1
If the light is on that means its not in standby mode right? I think mine is DOA. No boot and no light off (even after over an hour with the car off). Sweet. Followed the instructions and video to the letter and already checked connections and tried multiple power cycles etc. Don't think there is much else I can try by myself at this point.

Not off to a great start.

Edit: Tried again after over a day with everything off, hoping it was a fluke. Still no luck. Hopefully tech support can help me get it figured out Monday. Hoping I don't have to RMA it but guess its not looking good.
Just wanted to update this and say tech support got back to me today and helped me get this resolved. I guess there wasn't any firmware loaded or something? I had to run through the procedure to load firmware on the device without using the GUI. Once I did that it booted right up. A little disappointed there weren't any standard troubleshooting tips listed in the documentation or site (at least from anything I could see) but happy it is working now at least. Excited to spend some time playing around with it.

Last edited by WillAP1; 11-20-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:22 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WillAP1
A little disappointed this wasn't mentioned anywhere on their site or in the docs that came with the unit (at least from anything I could see) but happy it is working now at least
For future reference it is on their website where updates are presented

https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

Cheers,
Johan
Old 11-20-17, 11:40 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohanH
For future reference it is on their website where updates are presented

https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

Cheers,
Johan
Thanks, but I more meant that they didn't mention somewhere in their docs that if your unit didn't boot at all you might try the procedure to reload firmware (not necessarily the procedure itself). Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe its just the software dev in me but its really nice when I buy a product and see a page or two of quick troubleshooting tips within the documentation for the most plausible/common problems. I understand this is still a work in progress just trying to provide constructive feedback to the Grom team so they can improve their documentation (if they want to).

Last edited by WillAP1; 11-20-17 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JohanH (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 07:25 PM
MKGX470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Review & install tutorial grom audio vline gx470

Hi All

I wanted to share a quick REVIEW & INSTALL TUTORIAL youtube clip I created for the GROM Audio VLine in my 2006 Lexus GX470. This particular VLine type is for Lexus/Toyota 2004-2006 (select models) with factory navigation.

The first part of the youtube clip is a short review of the new interface of the navigation. How the apps work and overall experience. The second part of the youtube is the install tutorial which begins at 8:25sec. Overall the install tutorial I hope provides at least the motivation to buy knowing you install it yourself. The install only took me a few hours to do, with juggling the camera and stopping to explain and not really knowing what Im doing. Really not to hard and very doable.

As far as my review of the actual product I would say it is a MUST for anyone who has a factory Navi in their GX. The GROM Audio VLine turns the completely worthless factory Navi into a whole new reason to love your GX again. It basically turns your navi into a Android tablet, capable of about anything you can imagine with a tablet. They are also piloting a CarPlay plugin for iPhone users that is soo good. The one thing to remember is that you do need to stay on top of Software updates that happen periodically, similar to your smart phone. The updates are fairly quick and can be done connecting to you phone hotspot or for me I am able to connect to my home wifi in my driveway to do. The updates have consistently worked out simple bugs I have with it. But regardless with the bluetooth streaming, pandora, spotify, google maps its a no brainer in buying and installing one.

I reached out to GROM Audio with youtube clip and they provided $50 OFF promo code THANKS17 to anyone who is interested in buying one right now. They also mentioned they will be running a Black Friday Cyber sale this week. So now is a better time then ever to make it happen. Here is the site: https://gromaudio.com

Old 11-27-17, 10:29 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jadeboy
2. Google Local Music is a little better but still has issues in which it forgets its music mount path. I have my music on a USB memory stick, set the mount path, now about 20% it reset back to a memory card and another 10% reset to internal memory. In the past, it was about 40/60 not working. Does anyone know what memory card (model) that has worked in vline? I have tried cheap kingston which has not work, it only heat up the card really hot.
Just wanted to say that I bought a (new) unit recently and have this same very annoying issue of the music path resetting, except it happens to me every time I start the car. I made sure I was on the latest versions of both software and firmware.

I put in a support ticket and they said they can reproduce it at their shop and are working on it so hopefully we will have a resolution soon...
Old 11-27-17, 01:01 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup, you can add this one to my list of annoying random occurrences I posted several weeks ago. I had attributed it to perhaps my USB stick and/or my memory card, but it seems others are having similar issues. I have taken out my memory card and still have issues where the unit will suddenly not find the USB stick. So sad GROM... I am starting to use the V-line unit less and less. It's just too frustrating and disappointing.
Old 11-27-17, 01:10 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did a workaround by using memory micro-card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC) instead of USB memory stick.
Old 11-27-17, 01:18 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I just did a workaround by using memory micro-card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC) instead of USB memory stick.
So you're saying the path doesn't reset if you use an SD card and no USB drive?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?