IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 01:34 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeBrown
Hey guys we learned a few days ago that Grom is planning to have pre-sale price of 495 usd for the new VLine... Are you willing to pay this much or how much ?
$495 is robbery.... Especially with their track record of having software issues..... Lower it to $295 like the V1 was and maybe
Old 02-07-18, 04:48 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

if they havent ironed out all the kinks of the first version, why sell a new model and have everyone go through the same headaches? im suprised this thread has gotten this long.
Old 02-07-18, 05:34 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Anatoliy
What about Audio DAC specs?
Codec is the same: TLV320 16/24/32 bits. Up to 96KHz
Specs here:
http://www.ti.com/product/TLV320AIC23B-Q1
Old 02-07-18, 05:43 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
I'm not willing to pay that much. I would pay no more than $400 max personally. I don't think this is worth more than $500 total, including installation cost. We're likely going to be hassled contacting them to work out bugs, etc. and that should be worth a discount. This feels overpriced, AND without a discount for hassle on a beta version.
Originally Posted by gromaudio
Specs here:
I agree that $295 is more than fair for a product’s first gen that was never refined to stable operation for its owners.
Old 02-07-18, 06:44 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
I'm not willing to pay that much. I would pay no more than $400 max personally. I don't think this is worth more than $500 total, including installation cost. We're likely going to be hassled contacting them to work out bugs, etc. and that should be worth a discount. This feels overpriced, AND without a discount for hassle on a beta version.
We think the device is very robust. And see very few complains now. So it is _not_ a beta, but presale of the fully featured and stable unit. If you do not need all the features and simply need mirroring, there will be $395 unit on sale pretty soon.
Old 02-07-18, 10:16 PM
Anatoliy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Specs here:
Why not to use better one to support 192KHz? Or even better to support digital Mark Levinson output/input?!
The following users liked this post:
FN_Darknes (02-08-18)
Old 02-07-18, 10:25 PM
carlog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree here that the price is too high to be a beta tester. I've been lurking here for almost a year waiting for this product to stabilize. Had my hopes up that the new model would come in at a more fair price.
Old 02-07-18, 11:40 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by carlog
Have to agree here that the price is too high to be a beta tester. I've been lurking here for almost a year waiting for this product to stabilize. Had my hopes up that the new model would come in at a more fair price.
We will need beta testers for gen8 and gen9 systems. If you're local in Bay Area and have Lexus 2015+, PM us. Thank you !
Old 02-07-18, 11:44 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Anatoliy
Why not to use better one to support 192KHz? Or even better to support digital Mark Levinson output/input?!
VL2 have few USB ports so you can try to feed digital audio to ML through some kind of converter. We support audio to the stereo via balanced analog audio input only.
Old 02-08-18, 05:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Agreed, $500 is far too much for this. I got the VL1 at the pre-sale price, and never use it as it's an awful experience. GROM likely doesn't get as many complaints now, as users such as myself have given up hope. If the VL2 was reasonably priced, I may have tried it for my 14' ES, but at $500 there is no chance. I used to be a huge GROM fan, having installed countless GROM units for friends and having one in each of my cars (aside from the 14' ES). But, the VL1 destroyed the level of confidence I had in GROM.
Old 02-08-18, 09:59 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by hypervish
Agreed, $500 is far too much for this. I got the VL1 at the pre-sale price, and never use it as it's an awful experience. GROM likely doesn't get as many complaints now, as users such as myself have given up hope. If the VL2 was reasonably priced, I may have tried it for my 14' ES, but at $500 there is no chance. I used to be a huge GROM fan, having installed countless GROM units for friends and having one in each of my cars (aside from the 14' ES). But, the VL1 destroyed the level of confidence I had in GROM.
Thank you for being loyal customer ! Make sure to update your unit to latest software. As I mentioned, we do not have many complains lately since version 3.3.x.x. Update Android and main board firmware. You may need to flash it via stick. The site has latest firmwares posted.
https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html
Old 02-08-18, 02:43 PM
xDe3JaYx
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for being loyal customer ! Make sure to update your unit to latest software. As I mentioned, we do not have many complains lately since version 3.3.x.x. Update Android and main board firmware. You may need to flash it via stick. The site has latest firmwares posted.
No complaints? People are probably just using it without complaining since the issues are not going to end and they are tired of complaining. I sent the unit back for HDMI input issues and got it back without it being fixed stating it will be fixed with a software update. There are still issue seven with the 3.3.x.x. HDMI input does not work (only get video after unplugging power to vline and audio doesn't work), random reboots, very slow, and apps crashing. I just updated to the latest firmware v32 for gen 5 posted today and now there is no sound. The software still has bugs and is not very stable, it should still be in the beta stage. Other companies will consider this to be in the beta stage and not release it yet. How can vl2 be stable when vl1 still isn't?

Last edited by xDe3JaYx; 02-08-18 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
s2kjer (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:59 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by xDe3JaYx
No complaints? People are probably just using it without complaining since the issues are not going to end. I sent the unit back for HDMI input issues and got it back without it being fixed stating it will be fixed with a software update. There are still issue even with the 3.3.x.x. HDMI input does not work (only get video after unplugging power to vline and audio doesn't work), random reboots, very slow, and apps crashing. I just updated to the latest firmware v32 for gen 5 posted today and now there is no sound. The software still has bugs and is not very stable, it should still be in the beta stage. Other companies will consider this as the beta stage and not release it yet. How can vl2 be stable when vl1 still isn't?
Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for the issues that you are currently experience with your GROM VLine system. If you already contacted our tech support and have an open ticket please PM us the ticket number, so we look into it. The best way to receive tech support is via GROM support form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 02-08-18, 03:16 PM
xDe3JaYx
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for the issues that you are currently experience with your GROM VLine system. If you already contacted our tech support and have an open ticket please PM us the ticket number, so we look into it. The best way to receive tech support is via GROM support form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
I have already contacted them about the HDMI issue and got a rma # to send back the unit after 2 weeks of communication. I received the repaired unit back but the issue was never fixed. I wasted money sending the unit back. Now with the firmware update, I have no sound. I will not be contacting support to waste so much more time to get it to work. I will just put the previous firmware back on it.

update
Sound is working after unplugging power to the unit.

Last edited by xDe3JaYx; 02-08-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:30 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I suspect you are not getting much feedback on VL1 updates because a number of us don't drive our cars in the winter. I for one, only pull it out for very short drives on bright clear days so I really haven't had the opportunity to exercise the updates. I can say however, that the backup camera has once or twice not activated even with the updates. Haven't had a chance to see if the updates provide any improvement in bluetooth connectivity or robustness of other apps yet. I am also waiting to see what offerings you will present to VL1 owners in terms of retrofit upgrades. I think I read a positing about a board level exchange/upgrade option available. Those of us that have the technical capabilities would probably like to consider such an option if it is reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?