IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 04:22 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Haven't had a chance to see if the updates provide any improvement in bluetooth connectivity or robustness of other apps yet.
ok, that makes sense, and we are also working tirelessly on our side to improve the unit. Also, since you mention the apps, can you please list all the apps that you are using/planning to use with VLine? We will make sure to test them out. VLine is the automotive grade product, and it has some limitations, so we would like to provide with clear guidelines, based on your feedback as well.
Old 02-08-18, 04:23 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by xDe3JaYx
No complaints? People are probably just using it without complaining since the issues are not going to end and they are tired of complaining. I sent the unit back for HDMI input issues and got it back without it being fixed stating it will be fixed with a software update. There are still issue seven with the 3.3.x.x. HDMI input does not work (only get video after unplugging power to vline and audio doesn't work), random reboots, very slow, and apps crashing. I just updated to the latest firmware v32 for gen 5 posted today and now there is no sound. The software still has bugs and is not very stable, it should still be in the beta stage. Other companies will consider this to be in the beta stage and not release it yet. How can vl2 be stable when vl1 still isn't?
Good points you brought. See below:
1. Send us the info on HDMI source you use.
2. VL1 is good for 2-3 apps at the same time: Navi, Music, 1 lite background app. If you see slowness or random restarts, it means you loaded too many apps or those apps misbehave together (yes they may run fine separately). Check first 3 items in this article:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/speed-u...ews-21209.html
You may not realize but many apps these days are not optimized and they use much more resources than they should. VL2 will address this problem at least from CPU/RAM prospective.
The rule of thumb still applies: install only apps you really need while driving !
Old 02-08-18, 04:29 PM
DeeBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 495 usd VL2 PRE-SALE!!! ??? 😞

Was looking forward for this upgrade but the at this price no way . Reading from customers feedbacks it seems like there's still major issues with the VL1 enough so they stopped using it really guy ? At first it will have the same Android 5.0 software ? What about the touch responsiveness ? And that preview video ?
The following users liked this post:
JPxMODz (02-14-18)
Old 02-08-18, 07:40 PM
xDe3JaYx
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Good points you brought. See below:
1. Send us the info on HDMI source you use.
2. VL1 is good for 2-3 apps at the same time: Navi, Music, 1 lite background app. If you see slowness or random restarts, it means you loaded too many apps or those apps misbehave together (yes they may run fine separately). Check first 3 items in this article:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/speed-u...ews-21209.html
You may not realize but many apps these days are not optimized and they use much more resources than they should. VL2 will address this problem at least from CPU/RAM prospective.
The rule of thumb still applies: install only apps you really need while driving !
I was trying to hook up to a fire tv 2. It is not the source or the hdmi cable that is causing the problem. I get the same problem with a fire tv stick 2, Samsung note 3, and a laptop. I tried with 5 different hdmi cables. It will not display any HDMI inputs unless I disconnect the power to the vline. When i do get hdmi input to work, it will not output any audio to the car speakers. I have the fire tv hooked up to a HDMI splitter that is connected to two headrest monitors. When I also connect the vline to the splitter, the sound does not work on the other monitors. I just disconnected the hdmi cable to the vline as it causes issues to the other devices. I would think it is a hardware issue and support thought so too and i was given a rma #. The unit was sent in for repair and was sent back to me stating the hardware is ok and it will be fixed with a software update. The warranty is over in a couple weeks.

I usually only run 1 app at a time and still think it is slow.
Old 02-08-18, 07:51 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Grom please tell us how much it will cost us to upgrade from VL1 to VL2. I'm assuming/hoping the $495 is not for an upgrade but just if buying the VL2 outright (with no VL1 to exchange).

I rarely have issues with my VL1 but I only use it for music via the local music app so I'm guessing I'm a rare case. Even with that said it can still be slow to startup or do other things sometimes so I will consider exchanging for the VL2 if the price is reasonable.
Old 02-09-18, 10:14 AM
DeeBrown
Driver School Candidate

As i understand there will not be ANDROID AUTO... But will it come later ?
Old 02-10-18, 11:42 PM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 What is the upgrade cost? WILL you be offering a swap upgrade at all?
Old 02-12-18, 05:57 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by banserki
+1 What is the upgrade cost? WILL you be offering a swap upgrade at all?
Once we start manufacturing we will be able to outline more details. We plan to finalize everything in 2 weeks.
Old 02-12-18, 06:22 PM
Anatoliy
Driver

Once we start manufacturing we will be able to outline more details. We plan to finalize everything in 2 weeks.
What is latest time to pre-order?
Old 02-13-18, 11:04 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Seeing that it hasn't gone to manufacturing yet, any chance it will be placed in a smaller case to allow for easier mounting options? It would be nice if it could fit flat at the bottom of the LS460 center console with video and power cables facing forward. It would give me another reason to justify the upgrade cost.
Old 02-14-18, 01:54 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@gromaudio:

Today i wanted to update my GROM-VL1-LEX5 to the Firmware 32.
At the part " Turn ignition off, wait for VLine to sleep and then turn the ignition on to recognize the new firmware" , i have a Problem.
I waited till it sleeps, but now, when i turn the ignition on, the Headunit doesnt recognize the Vline anymore. The headunit says "No CD", so the Vline Loading Display does not come up.

What can i do now ?

Last edited by drischnie; 02-14-18 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 05:58 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drischnie
@gromaudio:

Today i wanted to update my GROM-VL1-LEX5 to the Firmware 32.
At the part " Turn ignition off, wait for VLine to sleep and then turn the ignition on to recognize the new firmware" , i have a Problem.
I waited till it sleeps, but now, when i turn the ignition on, the Headunit doesnt recognize the Vline anymore. The headunit says "No CD", so the Vline Loading Display does not come up.

What can i do now ?
I've run into this before. I had to physically unplug the power cable from the Vline and then re-plug it back in.
Old 02-14-18, 06:19 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

I've run into this before. I had to physically unplug the power cable from the Vline and then re-plug it back in.
Did that allready... but it does not solve my problem :-(
Old 02-14-18, 06:53 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drischnie
Did that allready... but it does not solve my problem :-(
There is a chance the firmware upgrade failed. Grom actually initially sent me a unit with no (or bad) firmware on it and this is how it behaved. I'd suggest following the procedure to load the new firmware on a flash drive and use that upgrade method to try again and see if it works. Instructions here: https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

Note: Make sure to set the "Car make" drop down appropriately.

Last edited by WillAP1; 02-14-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 06:59 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

There i only see the standard way to update the firmware... not if the display isnt coming... ?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?