IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18 | 12:19 PM
newgsman
Instructor

If nothing else I have to say the install for Vline is pretty good. I have mine in the glove box and it just sits on top of the perch/divider that is normally used to hold the owners guides. As far as running the wires etc. I found it best to take the glove box right out. Also of course you have to take out most of the center panel and the upper central air vents. With all of this stuff out of the way I fished all of the wires needed to connect to the main audio unit in through from behind at the back of the glove box opening.. There are plenty of open spaces to do this quite easily. I also used a USB extension cable and fished a USB port connection from the Vline using the extension wire out to the front console area. The GPS and microphone wiring, I passed up along the side pillar. I has able to remove the small panel at the side of the dash where the door closes up and then pulled off the side pillar garnish to run the wires up the pillar behind the pillar cover. I then stuffed the wires under the headliner along the top edge where it meets the windshield. This was very easy since the headliner is actually not attached to anything along the top edge so the wires just slide in behind the headliner no problem. I stuck the GPS sensor right beside the dot matrix coating at the top edge of the windshield. It is very inconspicuous and looks like a factory installed item. As for the microphone, I removed the housing for the overhead lights and installed the microphone inside the light housing. The factory microphone is installed in the same housing on the left hand side. On the right side of the housing is an identical area which I presume is intended for JDM microphone installation. It has a perforated area sound the sound can pass through clearly. The Vline mic fit there perfectly and once the housing is reinstalled works very well. All in all my install has very few indications of any non factory components.
Old 03-26-18 | 09:27 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by DeeBrown
Video was promised back in December...then it's was because you didn't have the cables...Now with the pre-order we would like to see what we're paying for
We haven't ported our software fully yet. We schedule it to be ready for the demo later next week, but can be week later. We will post real short video showing heavy apps switching, and overall speed.
Old 03-27-18 | 12:31 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We have fixed those issues 2 moths ago. Please update your module.
Settings -> About Device -> VLine System Updates -> Check For Updates
What’s your definition of fixed? I’m on the latest software and firmware and this is my CarPlay this morning
Old 03-27-18 | 10:08 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
What’s your definition of fixed? I’m on the latest software and firmware and this is my CarPlay this morning
What is the OTA version you're at ? Make sure to use good quality USB cable, the shorter the better. Note that Apple cables are no good for car use, they wear out quickly.
Old 03-28-18 | 09:11 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

What is the OTA version you're at ? Make sure to use good quality USB cable, the shorter the better. Note that Apple cables are no good for car use, they wear out quickly.
I'm on the latest version. When I check for software and firmware updates it tells me I have the latest version.

Please don't blame the cable again - you were doing that months ago when we were all talking about this problem. The fact that you say above it is fixed when you originally blamed it on the cables doesn't do your latest insinuation that it's the cables much good.

More ammo - I've not read a single user complaint about pixelization from other carplay units - and if it was a cable problem, it would happen on all carplay units, not just the grom.

I'm not really concerned about it. It's gotten much better over time. My concern comes when you tell someone it is fixed and when I point out it is not, that you blame the cable. Your better response would be to say we're aware of the issue and are continuing to work on it - and we've made big improvements in recent months.
The following users liked this post:
hypervish (03-28-18)
Old 03-28-18 | 09:35 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

I'm on the latest version. When I check for software and firmware updates it tells me I have the latest version.

Please don't blame the cable again - you were doing that months ago when we were all talking about this problem. The fact that you say above it is fixed when you originally blamed it on the cables doesn't do your latest insinuation that it's the cables much good.

More ammo - I've not read a single user complaint about pixelization from other carplay units - and if it was a cable problem, it would happen on all carplay units, not just the grom.

I'm not really concerned about it. It's gotten much better over time. My concern comes when you tell someone it is fixed and when I point out it is not, that you blame the cable. Your better response would be to say we're aware of the issue and are continuing to work on it - and we've made big improvements in recent months.
So what is the OTA version you're on anyway ?
Old 03-28-18 | 03:34 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Old 04-02-18 | 04:10 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

We cannot replicate any issues in CP mode with good cables with same OTA. Try another (shorter) cable and let us know if you still see artifacts.
Old 04-02-18 | 04:17 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

We cannot replicate any issues in CP mode with good cables with same OTA. Try another (shorter) cable and let us know if you still see artifacts.
Since the update, it's only happened 2 or 3 times (in several weeks) whereas before it happened pretty much all the time. It's not a cable issue. I'll pay attention to when it is happening and see if I can replicate the behavior. Most of the funkiness I experience with CarPlay happens with frequent in and out of the car stops (when I go to multiple stores). Occasionally, if I leave my phone plugged in, turn off and leave the car, when I come back the vline will be frozen (requiring unplugging power or waiting several minutes before restarting after removing my phone from being plugged in). Sometimes, if I plug the phone in, the Grom doesn't recognize it and automatically start carplay (fixed by unplugging it, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in). Like I said - there have been huge improvements, but there are still little quirky things every once in a while. I'm happy - I just wouldn't call all the bugs fixed.
Old 04-03-18 | 03:52 PM
Carpersn
Driver School Candidate

Wondering if the 2004-2006 Vlines will NOT RECEIVE VL2 update? Just got my 04 LX and would love to jump in. Only thing I want is CarPlay.
Old 04-04-18 | 05:09 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

My Vline has all current updates and the reversing camers still does not work through it, never had, but it comes on randomly sometimes while driving.
Old 04-04-18 | 06:53 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carpersn
Wondering if the 2004-2006 Vlines will NOT RECEIVE VL2 update? Just got my 04 LX and would love to jump in. Only thing I want is CarPlay.
If all you want is CarPlay, you don't necessarily need to wait for VL2. I have an 05 LS and my VL1 is PERFECT. I use it for CarPlay and Waze and could not be happier. I also download offline google maps for areas around me that I can use to navigate when not connected to hotspot.

Grom has worked out all of the early bugs that most of us were experiencing. I have had mine for over a year and still love the added functionality as much as when it was new.
The following users liked this post:
crazy_vag (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18 | 05:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

My question is, can the VL1 be installed in the newer Lexus' that the VL2 is compatible with, i.e. can I remove the VL1 from my 07' ES350 and install it in my 14' ES350?
Old 04-04-18 | 08:38 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Since the update, it's only happened 2 or 3 times (in several weeks) whereas before it happened pretty much all the time. It's not a cable issue. I'll pay attention to when it is happening and see if I can replicate the behavior. Most of the funkiness I experience with CarPlay happens with frequent in and out of the car stops (when I go to multiple stores). Occasionally, if I leave my phone plugged in, turn off and leave the car, when I come back the vline will be frozen (requiring unplugging power or waiting several minutes before restarting after removing my phone from being plugged in). Sometimes, if I plug the phone in, the Grom doesn't recognize it and automatically start carplay (fixed by unplugging it, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in). Like I said - there have been huge improvements, but there are still little quirky things every once in a while. I'm happy - I just wouldn't call all the bugs fixed.
We will pay more attention to the scenario when phone is connected via USB while ignition is off-on. It should not cause VLine to fail. On random glitches if you can find something for us to replicate, it will help a lot. Thank you!
Old 04-06-18 | 11:48 AM
s2kjer
Driver

I'm still waiting for the Fix on the VL1 to stop the Wi-Fi from randomly turning off when it boots up.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?