IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 12:45 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where are we with this product?

Is it chock full of bugs or is it relatively clean? Is this a simple install? Is it worth $500?
Old 06-03-18, 04:48 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RookieRick
So where are we with this product?

Is it chock full of bugs or is it relatively clean? Is this a simple install? Is it worth $500?
It hasn't shipped yet. First ship is currently scheduled for June 15th. So you'll likely have to wait until almost the end of June to get feedback on this new product.
Old 06-03-18, 06:01 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
It hasn't shipped yet. First ship is currently scheduled for June 15th. So you'll likely have to wait until almost the end of June to get feedback on this new product.
Oops! Let me clarify (and that doesn't mean you aren't speaking of the same system - just that I forgot to define what system I was talking about).

VLine Infotainment System
Old 06-05-18, 04:29 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Piece of ******. Worst money I've ever spent. Half the time it sits in VLINE loading screen, else bluetooth wont connect, and I haven't had a reversing camera since installing it. I'd smash it with a bat but I love steering wheel control.
Old 06-05-18, 07:28 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Oops! Let me clarify (and that doesn't mean you aren't speaking of the same system - just that I forgot to define what system I was talking about).

Sorry, assumed you were talking about the latest VLine2 product. I certainly wouldn't consider the earlier version based on the reported bugs from other users. At this point, you would want to wait to see what the feedback is on the new version when it is released in 2-4 weeks. Unless of course, the vehicle you are trying to install it in is not listed as one of the compatible vehicles for the VLine 2. Guess I should clarify that as well.
Old 06-05-18, 08:10 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

FWIW I like my VLine V1.

Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I want the majority of the time without issues? Yes. Could you pay me to go back to the OEM stereo/nav on my 08? No way.

Until/Unless something else better comes out I still think it is the best option for upgrading our severely outdated stereo/nav system.

If I was having backup camera issues like the other guy I can understand how I'd be much less happy with it though. I also rarely use bluetooth or Spotify/Pandora, which is probably atypical for most users.

I'm also running a different launcher (Car Launcher AGAMA) and a different music app (Poweramp) which I'm sure is also atypical, so keep that in mind.

IMO looks and works pretty slick with it setup this way:

anyone getting the grom vline?-2v5xw4l.jpg

anyone getting the grom vline?-whufdlv.jpg

Last edited by WillAP1; 06-05-18 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KYLS (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 08:30 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WillAP1
FWIW I like my VLine V1.

Is it perfect? No. Does it do what I want the majority of the time without issues? Yes. Could you pay me to go back to the OEM stereo/nav on my 08? No way.

Until/Unless something else better comes out I still think it is the best option for upgrading our severely outdated stereo/nav system.

If I was having backup camera issues like the other guy I can understand how I'd be much less happy with it though. I also rarely use bluetooth or Spotify/Pandora, which is probably atypical for most users.
I'm with you. It was a little rough at first, but on my 05 it makes a huuuge difference even with the few quirks that remain. Sure, my backup cam doesn't come on every time when the car is just started and I'm backing up out of my garage, but once I've been driving it comes on every time when I get to my destination. There is nothing on the market that comes remotely close and keeps everything pretty much stock.

I only use the VL for CarPlay and Waze, though. So other users may have a different experience depending on their usage.

I do understand the frustration of the users who are still having issues, when I was having issues, it was quite frustrating waiting for a solution. Nonetheless, the VL has been stable for me since about January of last year (with a few quirks that I can easily live with).
Old 06-05-18, 09:57 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You can count me as mostly happy as well. If you're going to use it for CarPlay - it is excellent. I'd give it a 95% as there are just a few little issues that pop up occasionally (map drawing pixelation-very rarely, occasional system crashes/freezes, carplay occasionally wont start when plugging in your phone - instead have to unplug/replug in your phone). If you're using the native system with android apps, I'm less enthusiastic - it's painfully slow and there are still plenty of buggy things. I prefer using Waze for my navigation - so the news that Waze is coming to CarPlay in iOS 12 is great news for me. But - I'm also hopeful the upgrade to the vline2 will solve the slowness/bugginess that exists with using Waze natively on the unit (so I have it as a backup .... when iOS 11 was released, CarPlay was broken on the vline for several weeks and I'd assume that would likely be the case with iOS 12 as well).
Old 06-05-18, 10:27 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
when iOS 11 was released, CarPlay was broken on the vline for several weeks and I'd assume that would likely be the case with iOS 12 as well).
Good call, I probably would have updated to iOS 12 and then had to join the group that wants to beat the VL with a bat.
Old 06-05-18, 05:10 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
Good call, I probably would have updated to iOS 12 ...
Someone has to take the plunge.

My biggest issue with the last iOS update/CarPlay fiasco, was that GROM didn't test and warn us that it would break. The excuse that CarPlay is not supported is a cop-out. Other than that, I'm in the camp of those happy with their VLine v1 versues available alternatives.

That said, if I was in the market I would wait and get the v2. Hopefully the upgrade kit they eventually offer the current v1 users comes at a reasonable price.
Old 06-05-18, 07:09 PM
summerst1
Driver School Candidate

I am constantly shocked at how blind Grom is concerning Carplay. I don't think they realize how unique of a solution VLine is, or how a majority of their customers purchase VLine just for this feature.

If they spun off Vline - no doubt they could get a ton of VC funding for this. Pair that with a classy Sandwhich video launch promo, and they would have more sales in one day than their cumulative 10 years of revenue to date. iPhone users have been proven in study after study to have more disposal income than Android users, and Apple fanboys are literally known for paying anything to get the latest Apple product. And Vline is literally the only solution to give carplay to this segment without replacing the existing dash unit.

The problem is, they are android fanboys. In their demos, they use a five year old iPhone, and they don't seem to check to see if Carplay works before pushing software updates. Grom - please please, address this. You have a problem. Fix it.
Old 06-05-18, 07:33 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
My biggest issue with the last iOS update/CarPlay fiasco, was that GROM didn't test and warn us that it would break.
Based on previous experience they come up with stable firmware around mid December. We will be fixing any incompatibilities (if any) around that time. IOS11 was the first time we had to step in. Before that all bugs were resolved on their side.

Last edited by gromaudio; 06-05-18 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:25 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

@gromaudio

Can we get some video of VL2 on regular touchscreen models?
Would be interesting to see what the speed difference is and any other "improvements."

Thanks!
Old 06-08-18, 01:16 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Based on previous experience they come up with stable firmware around mid December. We will be fixing any incompatibilities (if any) around that time. IOS11 was the first time we had to step in. Before that all bugs were resolved on their side.
I sent an email to your company to ask about replacing my 2007 Lexus LS460 Nav with your product and they said they only did audio.

???????????????????????????

I will not drop $500 to fix an audio system that is just fine with me. I have no desire to upgrade CDs with lower quality MP3s. I'm looking for something that solves the problem of the Nav system which is virtually useless, and costs $350 to upgrade every year.

Can someone talk about the Nav work? If necessary, we can start another thread (unless there already is one).
Old 06-08-18, 01:37 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I sent an email to your company to ask about replacing my 2007 Lexus LS460 Nav with your product and they said they only did audio.
That is strange, not sure who provided you with an answer. We have VLine for 2007 Lexus LS460 with NAV:
With self park assist - you need https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex5.html
Without self park assist - you need https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex5ls.html

This information is also available if you use "Find your car kit" widget on our homepage https://gromaudio.com

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?