IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 06:02 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by scommando1
Will you provide a notification email with tracking # for our product shipment, once shipped?
Yes you will receive tracking information via email.
Old 06-19-18, 12:53 PM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Man would have loved to buy this when they had the pre-order pricing, just bought my 2016 IS200T, but can't drop $600 on this, I'll keep in eye out for it if they have sales.
Old 06-19-18, 04:07 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Man would have loved to buy this when they had the pre-order pricing, just bought my 2016 IS200T, but can't drop $600 on this, I'll keep in eye out for it if they have sales.
Yep, $300 for not working and riddled with bugs, or $600 if you're willing to accept the product with maybe 15 or 20 bugs. The best part is they're only responsible for the bugs in their code. Tough cookies for the bugs in the operating system they piggybacked on. That's not their responsibility.

Thank Microsoft for this philosophy where it's considered acceptable business practice to ship a product they know doesn't work.
Old 06-21-18, 11:47 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RookieRick
Yep, $300 for not working and riddled with bugs, or $600 if you're willing to accept the product with maybe 15 or 20 bugs. The best part is they're only responsible for the bugs in their code. Tough cookies for the bugs in the operating system they piggybacked on. That's not their responsibility.

Thank Microsoft for this philosophy where it's considered acceptable business practice to ship a product they know doesn't work.
Is there something available for $300?
Old 06-21-18, 12:32 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine is arriving tomorrow - I probably won't have time to mess with it over the weekend, but I'll let you all know my thoughts after I've had a bit of time. Thankfully, it should be an easy install since I just need to unhook the VL1 (in my glove compartment) and plug in the VL2.
Old 06-21-18, 02:17 PM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, any updates on upgrading for VL1 owners? I'm still extremely dissatisfied with mine. Its extremely slow and buggy, even after installing all updates. I still would not recommend this.
Old 06-21-18, 03:40 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Is there something available for $300?
I guess you had to red the whole thread.
Old 06-21-18, 10:43 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Where are people placing the GPS antennas? Is glove box A o k?
Old 06-22-18, 01:11 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I put mine at the top of the windshield just beside the rear view mirror mounting. I ran the wiring up along the side pillar and then tucked it under the headliner along the windshield. It was fairly easy to do. Looks very inconspicuous except for the flashing red light in the antenna. I think I might cover that up with black electrical tape.
Old 06-22-18, 05:27 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I left mine in the glovebox (for now at least). Takes a lot longer to connect but will eventually work. I don't really use it much so wasn't a priority for me.
Old 06-22-18, 11:54 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by 10lexus350
So, any updates on upgrading for VL1 owners? I'm still extremely dissatisfied with mine. Its extremely slow and buggy, even after installing all updates. I still would not recommend this.
Try upgrading to latest OTA, we have tuned RAM allocations so it has more memory now for core processes.
Old 06-22-18, 12:01 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Mine is arriving tomorrow - I probably won't have time to mess with it over the weekend, but I'll let you all know my thoughts after I've had a bit of time. Thankfully, it should be an easy install since I just need to unhook the VL1 (in my glove compartment) and plug in the VL2.
Signature required! I guess no VL2 for me this weekend. Grom - if you're going to send signature required, please tell people beforehand so we can plan - thx.
Old 06-22-18, 12:55 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Signature required! I guess no VL2 for me this weekend. Grom - if you're going to send signature required, please tell people beforehand so we can plan - thx.
Sorry, yes all are shipped signature required. We can't afford them to get lost. Hopefully you can still pick up on Saturday.
Old 06-22-18, 07:22 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I made it to the PO before it closed and had a 2 hour road trip. Here are my initial experiences:

Install was awesome. I hooked it up outside the post office and from opening the package to starting my car was probably about 5 minutes total - thank you, Grom, for not changing the installation!

The initial boot was fast - maybe 15 seconds ..... maybe. I set up my hotspot, downloaded/installed gapps, and enabled CarPlay. CarPlay is exactly the same (as stated by Grom earlier). I then downloaded/installed Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Music.

The speed is hugely improved. I would call it fast. Apps open quickly (similar or how they open on my phone) and switching between apps and moving around screens happens as you touch your options. I don’t really notice any lag. Map screens move just how you’d expect, vs the slow mess that is VL1.

About 45 minutes into my journey, while in Waze, the vline crashed and it did a reset. From that point on I couldn’t connect to my hotspot and so was back to using CarPlay. Grom, please give a software option to reset the unit! (Not the erase/reset, just a simple reset).

Apple music also didn’t allow me to sign in. I don’t know if that is a vline software problem, or just the app, but it would be nice to have fixed.

As I play more, I’ll continue to keep you all updated. To me, this really is what the vline should have been all along. Speed makes it usable, now. Bugs are still likely pretty plentiful based on my first few hours.
Old 06-22-18, 07:49 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Well, that was short lived. Pretty sure my unit is now dead.

After unplugging power for 10 minutes or so, I hooked it back up and started it again. I couldn’t connect Bluetooth and no WiFi signals were showing, despite having a router very close in addition to a personal hotspot. I turned off the WiFi on the grom and tried to turn it back on - it just stayed with a message of “turning on WiFi” and never actually got to the point where it was on. I waited a while and tried again with the same results. Then I decided to do an erase and reset to get it back to factory and start over. Instead, now I have this

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?