IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18 | 08:15 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WillAP1
If you bought a VL2 expecting it to be perfect despite knowing how things were/are with the VL1 then you were destined for disappointment. Was pretty much guaranteed there were going to be initial issues with the VL2 that you'd have to work through. Other than the guy's who got bricked it doesn't even sound that bad. Still far from ideal, but again, you should have known what you were getting into.

With that said, I'm pretty happy with my VL1 at this point. Drove ~400 miles today using Waze for navi and Poweramp to listen to music simultaneously (and Car Launcher AGAMA as my launcher). Only issues I had were Waze crashed once (probably not VL1s fault) and GPS disconnected for 10-15 seconds a few times (I have it in the glovebox so probably not the VL1s fault either). Overall leaps and bounds better than when I had to drive the car a similar distance with the OEM navi/stereo.

After VL2 is on the new version of Android and most/all the major bugs are worked out I might consider upgrading but honestly it doesnt look that much faster than my VL1. Maybe I will make a video to compare speed.
VL2 is a light years better experience from a speed standpoint compared to the VL1 (at least it was for the 45 minutes or so before I bricked it doing a factory reset - lol). VL1 is painfully slow IMO - but maybe the other launcher has better performance?. For CarPlay - the 2 are equals. For everything else the 2 is everything the 1 should have been.
Old 07-02-18 | 08:18 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

My reverse camera works with no issues. I'm not sure what the connector is for but when I took my head unit out, everything was plugged in as it should be.

If you are able to look behind the unit you will probably see where it needs to be plugged in.

For the installation, only two plugs are affected. Make sure you pulled the right white plug.

The GROM installation videos point out the right locations for each plug.

Originally Posted by Montay
Those with VL2, does your reverse camera work? Mine doesn't, occasionally goes to black/white bars or just black for a couple seconds then comes up with the park assist proximity screen.

Also, anyone know what this connects to? Could not find anywhere to plug this back into when I was installing the Vline and began unplugging stuff on the nav.
Old 07-02-18 | 08:19 AM
Montay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
is that your Cigarette plug by chance?
don't believe it is. I've checked ash tray plug like 4 times. Might be radio....just noticed the FM stopped working after vline install, unless its not supposed to (like usb)?
Old 07-02-18 | 08:26 AM
Montay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badbwoy007
My reverse camera works with no issues. I'm not sure what the connector is for but when I took my head unit out, everything was plugged in as it should be.

If you are able to look behind the unit you will probably see where it needs to be plugged in.

For the installation, only two plugs are affected. Make sure you pulled the right white plug.

The GROM installation videos point out the right locations for each plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnfrmzYLmQ
I tried to follow this video but the back of my nav is a bit different from the one in the video ( i have a 2011 ISF, Australia). The MCFLEX6 cable is where i have problems - mine are both male, not male/female like in the video. Therefore I thought logical thing is to replace both OEM male plugs. I had no issues with the GVMF cable, it was same as the video male/female.
Old 07-02-18 | 08:35 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

As I look closer at the plug and you mentioned FM stopped working, it looks like the plug for the antenna.

don't believe it is. I've checked ash tray plug like 4 times. Might be radio....just noticed the FM stopped working after vline install, unless its not supposed to (like usb)?
Old 07-02-18 | 10:56 AM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

I tried to follow this video but the back of my nav is a bit different from the one in the video ( i have a 2011 ISF, Australia). The MCFLEX6 cable is where i have problems - mine are both male, not male/female like in the video. Therefore I thought logical thing is to replace both OEM male plugs. I had no issues with the GVMF cable, it was same as the video male/female.
that is your AM/FM antenna cable
Old 07-02-18 | 02:22 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
@badbwoy007

nice videos.. does it auto-dim?

Can you press a button on the steering wheel to open up Siri or OkGoogle?
Yes, it auto-dims.
Old 07-02-18 | 03:04 PM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

@gromaudio, when is the promised nougat update coming?
Old 07-02-18 | 03:08 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tanous1981
@gromaudio, when is the promised nougat update coming?
I’d rather they fix bricked units, first.

Can an anyone explain why 7.1 will be so much better? Not an Android guy, so curious. It runs fast on 5.1. Give me stable before new.
Old 07-02-18 | 03:23 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

What did GROM tell you after you submitted a ticket about getting the unit unbricked?

Originally Posted by rehr0001

I’d rather they fix bricked units, first.

Can an anyone explain why 7.1 will be so much better? Not an Android guy, so curious. It runs fast on 5.1. Give me stable before new.
Old 07-02-18 | 03:35 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

On 6/25 they said to please standby while they make a recovery image for me. I wrote them back 6/28 to ask for a status update and they responded they hope to have it available today or tomorrow.
Old 07-02-18 | 04:21 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rehr0001
On 6/25 they said to please standby while they make a recovery image for me. I wrote them back 6/28 to ask for a status update and they responded they hope to have it available today or tomorrow.
Please make sure to check your inbox. We have sent email to you with recovery procedure. OTA with GApps fixes will be out tomorrow.
Old 07-02-18 | 07:36 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Please make sure to check your inbox. We have sent email to you with recovery procedure. OTA with GApps fixes will be out tomorrow.
Fix worked great and I’m back and up running. Unfortunately my original problem (that caused me to do the reset in the first place) is still there. It appears that the unit won’t detect a 2.4GHz WiFi signal (ie my iPhone personal hotspot) anymore.

On day 1 I connected to my iPhone with no problem, but 45 minutes into my road trip after a crash, it would no longer connect (network wasn’t visible). When I got to my destination where there was 2.4 GHz WiFi, the Grom wouldn’t recognize it (or my hotspot). Now that I’m back at home, I noticed it sees all of my 5GHz networks, but not the 2.4. So my question: is this a hardware or software problem?
Old 07-02-18 | 08:16 PM
Montay
Driver School Candidate

This is what I get for a couple seconds when reversing. After that it goes to park assist display. I'm using the vline2 with car launcher agama as its so much more intuitive. Could that be an issue. Reverse cam doesnt work in default dashlinq either though.
Any tips?
Old 07-03-18 | 12:17 AM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

https://youtu.be/ts5N4CG85K8 these go for 390 and are made for every model of Lexus. If you buy them directly from the company, Cosmo sells them way cheaper than buying them from AliExpress, which sellers are pushing them for over 500... I emailed him a month back prior the the VL2 launching and i figured i'd give grom a chance with the launch of the VL2.

Sad to say, Grom is marketing a "finished unit" which anyone can clearly see, it is far from ready for primetime, let alone the finished price of 500.

Grom is NOT the only company that offers an Android unit

When Grom can actually offer what they are "marketing", it's going to be a great product.

I was truly hoping that when Grom started advertising the VL2, I figured they had finally fixed the issues that riddled the VL1, but it looks like nothing has changed.

Last edited by MT1981; 07-03-18 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?