IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 11:33 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
is the unit suppose to work with the factory microphone? i thought it's not supposed to..anyone have a link to this feature?
At least for newer gen, the head unit harness had a 3.5 connector coming off of it.

Update, drove home and everything suddenly works. Not sure what changed, but all my previous issues are now not there.The only thing I can think of is that I'm due for a new battery soon, and so the driving around gave it a good charge
Old 07-04-18, 11:48 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Now the Vline 2 is only working half the time on my LS. Crap. It’s annoying to turn off the car and restart it just to use it. Hopefully it’s a firmware issue so I don’t have to open up the car again..

the unit does not get power every other time. Weirdddd
Old 07-04-18, 11:59 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you install the ota update they released today?
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (07-04-18)
Old 07-04-18, 12:19 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Did you install the ota update they released today?
I did... right after I read you message..

I am usually the person that waits 2-3 days before installing new updates to software... let other people test and verify

We'll see if this helps
Old 07-04-18, 02:01 PM
AaronS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now the Vline 2 is only working half the time on my LS. Crap. It’s annoying to turn off the car and restart it just to use it. Hopefully it’s a firmware issue so I don’t have to open up the car again..

I have a similar issue. Grom support say they are working on it.

I've found that if I put the car into Accessory mode for a few seconds before starting it then the VLine2 will run
Old 07-04-18, 02:08 PM
scommando1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Split5
BTW -- The CarPlay is working fine and is leaps and bounds above the standard equipment. I can even LISTEN to WAZE through the stereo while seeing Apple Maps and Listening to Amazon Music.
How exactly do you set up CarPlay? What cables do you use? Can you provide some dummy instructions?
Old 07-04-18, 02:15 PM
scommando1
Driver School Candidate

Today's update didn't do squat.

With WiFi and Bluetooth on as standalone, the audio will manage to not become choppy. But as soon as any other application is booted which requires WiFi, such as Waze, it's a choppy audio storm. I'm getting to the point where I might send this back.

Last try is CarPlay. How exactly do I go about setting that up?
Old 07-04-18, 02:59 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by scommando1
Today's update didn't do squat.

With WiFi and Bluetooth on as standalone, the audio will manage to not become choppy. But as soon as any other application is booted which requires WiFi, such as Waze, it's a choppy audio storm. I'm getting to the point where I might send this back.

Last try is CarPlay. How exactly do I go about setting that up?
Hit one of your + signs, go to plugins or apps (don’t remember which one), click CarPlay. Then tap on the CarPlay icon, on the next screen tap activate 8-10times and it will be ready to go. Plug your iPhone into a usb cable that goes to usb1 on the Grom, allow access when your phone prompts you, and youll be good to go. IME CarPlay is pretty much flawless. Occasionally, when you plug in your phone, it isn’t recognized, but all you have to do is unplug and plug in again to bypass.

what do you use for music? BT is a mess for audio IMO. It’s way better to stream via app through WiFi. If you don’t have a streaming solution, though, I can sympathize with the crap wifi/Bluetooth in its current state. Fortunately CarPlay bypasses that problem.
Old 07-04-18, 03:14 PM
scommando1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001

Hit one of your + signs, go to plugins or apps (don’t remember which one), click CarPlay. Then tap on the CarPlay icon, on the next screen tap activate 8-10times and it will be ready to go. Plug your iPhone into a usb cable that goes to usb1 on the Grom, allow access when your phone prompts you, and youll be good to go. IME CarPlay is pretty much flawless. Occasionally, when you plug in your phone, it isn’t recognized, but all you have to do is unplug and plug in again to bypass.

what do you use for music? BT is a mess for audio IMO. It’s way better to stream via app through WiFi. If you don’t have a streaming solution, though, I can sympathize with the crap wifi/Bluetooth in its current state. Fortunately CarPlay bypasses that problem.
Sweet! Thank you so much, done!

Now how do I get Waze on CarPlay? I have iOS 12 installed.

Old 07-04-18, 03:23 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by scommando1

Sweet! Thank you so much, done!

Now how do I get Waze on CarPlay? I have iOS 12 installed.

that I can’t help you with . If you’ve got ios12 running, though, and it’s working in the Grom, that is a good sign. It took about a month after ios11 was released before updates got things running correctly. Waze is what i’m Waiting for, too. We’ll see what comes first, stable vline2 software, or iOS 12
Old 07-04-18, 07:01 PM
Split5
Driver School Candidate

Default Waze through CARPLAY — LISTEN only

Once you have CarPlay functioning, go to your Phone and start Waze. Enter the address on your Phone. Waze will only TALK to you, but you can see Apple maps.

note that Apple does plan to allow WAZE with iOS 12 release in October.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...maps-wwdc-2018

Last edited by Split5; 07-04-18 at 07:15 PM. Reason: More info on Waze
Old 07-04-18, 07:08 PM
Split5
Driver School Candidate

Default Share your experience with the OTA Update Please

I just received the email from GROM stating that the “VLine VL2 OTA Update is ready.”

I have been at 4th of July celebrations all day so I haven’t had a chance to try yet. Anyone tried with their system yet? Would you share experience?

Thanks and Have a Happy Independence Day!!!
Old 07-04-18, 08:49 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I think mine is showing the same behavior. Are you getting a black screen when you start up the car? I am occasionally getting a completely black screen after starting the car. I figured out that holding the Menu button until the screen switches back to the factory system, then holding the Menu button again the Vline will boot up.
Old 07-04-18, 09:48 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I think mine is showing the same behavior. Are you getting a black screen when you start up the car? I am occasionally getting a completely black screen after starting the car. I figured out that holding the Menu button until the screen switches back to the factory system, then holding the Menu button again the Vline will boot up.
We are actively working on this problem. Should be ready in few days. We will send an email when it is available.
Old 07-04-18, 10:07 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by rcJten
ummmm.. I am gettting a regular Lexus system as if Vline never existed.

honestly after using this system for few days, I don’t think it’s ready for prime time. I wish they tested out the system more on different cars. From the videos, looks like they had a 2nd gen IS and the entertainment system from a 4GS and 6ES.

Sound would not work on CarPlay, switched over to regular Vline and GPS was way off. It’s annoying as hell. Definitely not worth the $600 they charge. That marketing and testing BS. It’s not like other companies don’t do any of it.

I feel like Grom tried to save a few bucks and sent out a system with zero testing done on most systems.

They should’ve sent out early builds to different car owners at a discount way before release.

i would personally advice everyone to hold off on buying this system until:
1. Grom figures out how to fix the annoying, but important features. (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IN FEW MONTHS)
2. Price goes under $400
3. Other alternatives are available.

I’ve had better luck with their other systems.

this vline2 is as bad as windows ME.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 07-04-18 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?