IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 10:20 PM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say the exact same thing, there's fanboys here that think Groms Android unit is God and the ONLY way to go. Which is far from the truth...

This is a Beta that like I've kept saying is not ready.

its in no way ready to be sold. Rushing a "broken" product to market is great marketing!!

I've seen and used Chinese models from China with far less issues than this.

Marketing a product ,then retracting features a month prior to launch, should have a been a HUGE RED FLAG this was not ready and rushed...

7.1.1 still hasn't even launched!!

Especially when your paying over 500 dollars for a unit riddled with issues, but hey, the fanboys will say different..

Last edited by MT1981; 07-04-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 10:23 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

^^^ I’m a Grom fanboy.
but I just feel like vline2 just isn’t ready right now... not yet
Old 07-04-18, 10:25 PM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

Id gladly be a fanboy, if they sold a fully functional product...
Old 07-05-18, 07:07 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tanous1981
Id gladly be a fanboy, if they sold a fully functional product...
I'm trying to figure out why you're even here commenting. You're not a customer and clearly don't appear to be considering being a customer. You don't even have the unit and you're comparing it to other products no one's heard of and that come with basically 0 support or feedback! I'm far from a fanboy - the criticism they are receiving is warranted. It isn't ready for primetime right now - clearly. CarPlay is still flawless for me, though.

Joedaddy1 - curious as to what problem you're having with no CarPlay audio. I haven't experienced that in the VL2 (that did happen with VL1 when ios11 was released). you could still get audio through BT, but it didn't sound nearly as good.
Old 07-05-18, 09:00 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
ummmm.. I am gettting a regular Lexus system as if Vline never existed.
Make sure to send us support ticket and provide your model/year and way for us to replicate.
Old 07-05-18, 09:04 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

its in no way ready to be sold. Rushing a "broken" product to market is great marketing
What exactly is broken for you ? What unit did you buy ?
Old 07-05-18, 12:38 PM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I'm trying to figure out why you're even here commenting. You're not a customer and clearly don't appear to be considering being a customer. You don't even have the unit and you're comparing it to other products no one's heard of and that come with basically 0 support or feedback! I'm far from a fanboy - the criticism they are receiving is warranted. It isn't ready for primetime right now - clearly. CarPlay is still flawless for me, though.

Joedaddy1 - curious as to what problem you're having with no CarPlay audio. I haven't experienced that in the VL2 (that did happen with VL1 when ios11 was released). you could still get audio through BT, but it didn't sound nearly as good.
I am customer with a brand new 2018 Lexus NX300 F sport, waiting till Grom finishes their beta tests and comes out with units for "current model" lexus'. im comparing to units that "actually work" without daily patches, that should have been pushed out during the "beta program", not to users that paid full price.

in its current broken state, you couldn't even pay me enough to promote this thing...

Last edited by MT1981; 07-05-18 at 12:40 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-05-18, 01:10 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 249 Posts

I am customer with a brand new 2018 Lexus NX300 F sport, waiting till Grom finishes their beta tests and comes out with units for "current model" lexus'. im comparing to units that "actually work" without daily patches, that should have been pushed out during the "beta program", not to users that paid full price.

in its current broken state, you couldn't even pay me enough to promote this thing...
Do you have first hand experience with these "actually working" units you are referring to? I'd like some more information about them from you if you do.
Old 07-05-18, 01:34 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I've built a number of gaming PCs, and understand all too well that it takes time to align the hardware/firmware/software. The Vline is no different than building a PC. There's going to be hiccups. As long as Grom is actively fixing issues, I don't see any reason for all the toxic posts. Since install, I've been enjoying my Vline. It runs all the apps I wanted. It's fairly responsive, and I love not having to pull my phone out for any of it. As for the price, I'm pretty sure I paid the same for iViC, which still used my phone as the brains of everything (which had the advantage of the phone's speed, but the draw back that the phone had to be plugged in).

If you're waiting for something better, or think there's another option then do that...

PS . Not a Grom fanboy by any means. I've had this thing for a few days.

Last edited by rcJten; 07-05-18 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 07:01 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If there are units out there that actually work, why are you here complaining about the Vline? You should just go be happy with the already working unit. I think you've overstayed your welcome in this thread (the only thread on club lexus you've posted in). Let those of us who actually have the unit do the complaining. There's enough of us with enough problems - we don't need a troll, too.
Old 07-06-18, 06:46 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I've built a number of gaming PCs, and understand all too well that it takes time to align the hardware/firmware/software. The Vline is no different than building a PC. There's going to be hiccups. As long as Grom is actively fixing issues, I don't see any reason for all the toxic posts. Since install, I've been enjoying my Vline. It runs all the apps I wanted. It's fairly responsive, and I love not having to pull my phone out for any of it. As for the price, I'm pretty sure I paid the same for iViC, which still used my phone as the brains of everything (which had the advantage of the phone's speed, but the draw back that the phone had to be plugged in).

If you're waiting for something better, or think there's another option then do that...

PS . Not a Grom fanboy by any means. I've had this thing for a few days.
Glad to know that there is a unit out there that is working. What is your Lexus model that it's installed in? I think the frustration is that the hiccups should be mostly worked out by actual beta testers with units being tested in the cars themselves and troubleshooting should have taken place before the units were shipped to paying customers. I understand the software update push out which happened fairly quickly for me since I had just received my unit. And while Grom tech support has been responsive, they have yet to give me an actual troubleshooting suggestion. Also, personally I would like to get on the phone with a rep and have them talk me through some troubleshooting options together instead of an online chat as the only option.

It's all about expectations though really. I expected hiccups so I'm not surprised and I think that I'm trying to be more patient because of that. However, since it's affected the vehicle stock functionality (RTC control) since it's installed and not working, it's difficult to say that it's no loss until it's working.
Old 07-06-18, 09:24 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Glad to know that there is a unit out there that is working. What is your Lexus model that it's installed in? I think the frustration is that the hiccups should be mostly worked out by actual beta testers with units being tested in the cars themselves and troubleshooting should have taken place before the units were shipped to paying customers. I understand the software update push out which happened fairly quickly for me since I had just received my unit. And while Grom tech support has been responsive, they have yet to give me an actual troubleshooting suggestion. Also, personally I would like to get on the phone with a rep and have them talk me through some troubleshooting options together instead of an online chat as the only option.

It's all about expectations though really. I expected hiccups so I'm not surprised and I think that I'm trying to be more patient because of that. However, since it's affected the vehicle stock functionality (RTC control) since it's installed and not working, it's difficult to say that it's no loss until it's working.
Had not realized there's no call in tech support. There really should be. My Vline is in a 2015 RC350 with ML. I haven't tried Bluetooth with the Vline, so not sure if it's having issues. One small issue I noticed late yesterday: I installed a SD card so I could download my Spotify library to reduce data usage. I downloaded the Spotify app from the play store as I didn't see a download/local storage option in the plug-in, then while on my home WiFi I turned on the download to SD option. This morning when I go back into Spotify the download option is off and it says I have nothing stored locally. Re downloading now to see if it does it again.
Old 07-07-18, 05:00 AM
toommmy
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering wheel control broken with latest update

Since the last update on the vl2 my steering wheel controls broke. Anyone else experience this too?
Old 07-07-18, 02:26 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toommmy
Since the last update on the vl2 my steering wheel controls broke. Anyone else experience this too?
Working on mine. Still getting the black screen on 30-40% of startup. It seems to be a turn-on trigger issue when starting the car on the AUX input. If I switch to another input, then back to AUX the Vline kicks on (no need to restart the car). With Spotify my downloads are remaining on the SD card, so not sure what the original issue was.
Old 07-07-18, 02:47 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Gave up on mine..
leaving the state for 3-months. Hopefully, all you suckers can figure out the issues and make my unit useful in 3 months.

good luck.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?