IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18 | 11:43 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by rcJten
Working on mine. Still getting the black screen on 30-40% of startup. It seems to be a turn-on trigger issue when starting the car on the AUX input. If I switch to another input, then back to AUX the Vline kicks on (no need to restart the car). With Spotify my downloads are remaining on the SD card, so not sure what the original issue was.
Startup issue is going to be fixed shortly. Our apologies for this problem. For some reason chip manufacturer has changed the CPU revision and added some required startup logic, so we were not able to catch that earlier during our extensive 6 months testing.
Old 07-08-18 | 03:19 AM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

I was completely unaware that you had to "pay" so much money to join a beta program!! LMFAO just sitting here with my popcorn, waiting to buy, as Grom scrambles to patch their "finished" product....

Last edited by MT1981; 07-08-18 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-08-18 | 10:17 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tanous1981
I was completely unaware that you had to "pay" so much money to join a beta program!! LMFAO just sitting here with my popcorn, waiting to buy, as Grom scrambles to patch their "finished" product....
seriously - just go away
Old 07-08-18 | 11:02 AM
rijn
Rookie

I have a Vline version 1 running the latest firmware and OTA updates. I've been told repeatedly my voice sounds distant with wind noise when using CarPlay to make phone calls. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I hear the other person perfectly.
Old 07-08-18 | 01:56 PM
Raven97990
Rookie

Originally Posted by rijn
I have a Vline version 1 running the latest firmware and OTA updates. I've been told repeatedly my voice sounds distant with wind noise when using CarPlay to make phone calls. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I hear the other person perfectly.
Not specific to the Grom, but a complain I have had even with the factory blue tooth, make sure you don't have a AC vent aimed at the microphone.
Old 07-08-18 | 03:07 PM
rijn
Rookie

Originally Posted by Raven97990
Not specific to the Grom, but a complain I have had even with the factory blue tooth, make sure you don't have a AC vent aimed at the microphone.

The factory bluetooth doesn't have this issue. The microphone is behind my rear view mirror (driver's side edge of it). It shouldn't have any AC vents blowing into it.
Old 07-09-18 | 03:11 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

does vline have andoid auto yet?
Old 07-09-18 | 07:29 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Startup issue is going to be fixed shortly. Our apologies for this problem. For some reason chip manufacturer has changed the CPU revision and added some required startup logic, so we were not able to catch that earlier during our extensive 6 months testing.
Glad to hear that you've identified the problem and are working on a fix. Anxious to get another update pushed out.

I'm not quite sure that I understand how this wasn't caught during beta testing. Do you actually install these units in vehicles of beta testers and get their feedback to address potential issues like this before you release a new product?
Old 07-09-18 | 07:31 AM
Raven97990
Rookie

Originally Posted by rijn
The factory bluetooth doesn't have this issue. The microphone is behind my rear view mirror (driver's side edge of it). It shouldn't have any AC vents blowing into it.
Shouldn't, but I was talking to my father in law in his ISF from mine and it had a unbearable wind noise as he was very muffled, had the vents hitting the mic.
Old 07-09-18 | 07:40 AM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Glad to hear that you've identified the problem and are working on a fix. Anxious to get another update pushed out.

I'm not quite sure that I understand how this wasn't caught during beta testing. Do you actually install these units in vehicles of beta testers and get their feedback to address potential issues like this before you release a new product?
"you" are the beta tester. these are all issues that you'd think would have been caught and fixed during grom's "supposed" beta testing period. When they posted adverts on this forum for beta testers that were sold these units at a steep discount. So they could help the final end user, you know, the the customer paying over 500 dollars for a finished product. but, looks like the beta testing period never ended and has just been carried over to the end-users who are now paying the full-price per unit.
Old 07-09-18 | 08:01 AM
brisk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banserki
does vline have andoid auto yet?
Not directly, but I've managed to use AA after downloading the HeadunitReloaded app on to the vline and connecting my phone.
Old 07-09-18 | 08:47 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tanous1981
"you" are the beta tester. these are all issues that you'd think would have been caught and fixed during grom's "supposed" beta testing period. When they posted adverts on this forum for beta testers that were sold these units at a steep discount. So they could help the final end user, you know, the the customer paying over 500 dollars for a finished product. but, looks like the beta testing period never ended and has just been carried over to the end-users who are now paying the full-price per unit.
Technically, according to Grom, beta testers are only recruited in the SF Bay area where they are located and my discounted price (-$135 off full retail price) was for placing a pre-order with a delayed ship on what is supposed to be a fully functioning unit. I realized though from this forum that it was likely that was not going to be the case and that I was going to be getting a unit that needed updates. Because I knew this upfront from other users feedback on the VLine 1 and the general support they received from Grom, my expectations were realistic. So while I'm disappointed that it's not working from day 1, I'm not super annoyed yet. Since I'm anxious to get updated tech in my car, I'm willing to go through the hassle as if I am a beta tester. I do wish I had a bigger discount for this though. If Grom Audio was smart with marketing, they would offer a larger discount to people like me to turn us into happier customers which typically goes hand in hand by naturally turning into a brand ambassador.
Old 07-09-18 | 07:46 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by brisk
Not directly, but I've managed to use AA after downloading the HeadunitReloaded app on to the vline and connecting my phone.
What version of AA are you running and how are you connecting the phone?

Old 07-09-18 | 07:53 PM
brisk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2kjer
What version of AA are you running and how are you connecting the phone?
I'm using the latest version of Headunit Reloaded installed on the vline - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr

And then the latest version of Android Auto from the play store installed on my phone, an LG G7. Usb C cable from phone plugged into the USB 1 port of the vline.

Sometimes I have to switch from charging to file transfer mode on my phone for the display to show up but when it's going it works great.
Old 07-10-18 | 03:31 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't work wirelessly?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?