anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 02:00 PM
gromaudio
Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i always have that issue. If I straight start the car, GROM works half the time. If I do ACC mode first, I think it worked every time. Pretty annoying but at least we figured it out. Lol
Please update to FW36. Should be fixed
Old 07-14-18, 02:54 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

what would a upgrade kit be?

That is why I asked/reminded.

It’s like asking for an upgrade kit for your iPhone 7 when a new iPhone 8 is out.

not sure what VL1 owners are expecting hardware-wise... updated firmware/software probably.
I realize this thread is a lot to process, but you may want to read/search before making such statements. A VL1 is a metal box with a few relatively cheap circuit boards. I agree an iPhone is not something easy to upgrade, but miss your point.

See Page 64, Post #953, from March. GROM Audio's words, not mine ...

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes this is still a plan. Once VL2 is shipped and production is steady we will offer VC2 module (swap for VC1) for tinkerers (advanced). All details will be announced after we start shipping VL2. Upgrade operation will require the good technical knowledge and certain assembly skills.
Old 07-14-18, 03:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS

See Page 64, Post #953, from March. GROM Audio's words, not mine ...
Got me there... this will be interesting
Old 07-14-18, 03:15 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

No problem, JoeDaddy1. I wish I had bought another VL unit during the pre-sale, though I hadn't realized I would be adding another LS to the fleet. I suspect there are more than a few of us that passed on the sale because of the promise of a presumably, less expensive upgrade module. Now waiting while jealously watching you guys play with your new toys.

Last edited by KYLS; 07-14-18 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (07-19-18)
Old 07-15-18, 08:12 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Firmware update failed again!

Grom, please address the recent firmware update (FW36).

Now when I turn on the car the unit is unresponsive.

First I get a blank screen then lines. Can we just get some stability?!?!

Old 07-16-18, 04:19 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Minimal Downtime Equals Happy Customers

Grom,

When the unit is turned on the GPS light and the oem nav screen is on for about 2 seconds, then I get this.

Old 07-16-18, 07:27 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Grom,

I am still having black screens on startup as well. If I start ACC before starting the car it works every time. The FW only seems to have reduced the black screens at start up by 50%.
Old 07-16-18, 10:47 AM
gromaudio
Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
Grom,

I am still having black screens on startup as well. If I start ACC before starting the car it works every time. The FW only seems to have reduced the black screens at start up by 50%.
Good to know. Let us play with it some more today. We had no problems running it for past few days so far.
Old 07-16-18, 04:19 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Good to know. Let us play with it some more today. We had no problems running it for past few days so far.
It seems to have a higher likelihood of happening when the car has been sitting for at least 3-4 hours. I thought it might be related to low voltage of my car's battery, so I installed a brand new Optima battery. The Vline is still exhibiting the same behavior where the nav screen does not come on (neither does any sound). Before the update it was happening a couple of times a day, after the update maybe once a day. I do have a questions about the predictive wake function in the Vline settings: what does this do and when should I enable it?

Otherwise, I have really been enjoying the Vline now that I have it setup the way I want.
Old 07-16-18, 06:02 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost considered buying the vline1 or vline2 because the vaistech units I bought were missing an important harness. Since vaistech no longer makes their unit they couldn’t help me, but after a lot of research luckily I was able to perfectly make the harness it needed. It has no issues at all like what I’ve read here, also the factory USB port is still functional. I’m now selling the 2nd vaistech unit I have and listed it here on the forum. But no matter which unit you use it’s a cool add on to have and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it! Hooked up a tv tuner and a mini SNES lol

Old 07-19-18, 11:49 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

so my ATT phone does not allow hotspots... and not everyone in the family has Apple phones.

So I bought one of these wifi units for $10: https://www.freedompop.com/affhotspot-14d (NO, THIS IS NOT AN AFFILIATE LINK)
And 1-year 1gb/month data plan to go with it for $30: https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519 (SEARCH FOR $20 OFF $50 TARGET coupon on google.. You text Target and they'll message you back a code right away..)

So about $40 for the first year.. and starting second-year, it should be about $30 a year for 1gb/month of data. Under $3 a month.. I can accept that. ATT network.. wish it was Verizon.

I'll probably connect the wifi unit to the VLine's USB to turn on/off with the whole system.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 07-19-18 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KLexus50 (07-19-18)
Old 07-23-18, 07:08 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

For those of you (like me) who past on GROM's early bird VL2 pricing, or need another. BklynJay has set up a group buy with GROM. You may want to check it out. We need 2 or 3 more to agree before orders can be placed: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=95767

I thought you might also be interested in the response I got back from GROM to my ticket asking for ETA on the VC2 module and inquiring about this group buy. Sounds like we may be able to combine it with the current special price (until that ends), so perhaps an even better deal. I believe that is what they are stating, or perhaps they mean instead. Not sure.

Originally Posted by GROM - Ticket #202373

Thank you for your interest in VLine!

Per upgrade VL1 to VL2, we are looking into offering such solution, however now we are not ready yet. Please sign up for our email list (if you are not there already) at bit.ly/vline_interest
You will receive the notification once we have such upgrade kit available.

Per group buy, yes that is correct. There is a group buy, run by "BklynJay" on ClubLexus. Sign up with him and once he gets 5 participants, we will proceed with the discounted offer.

You can also get $30 off (current special) with coupon code 4JULY18, it is still valid.

Thank you.
Old 07-23-18, 07:24 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Anyone know the ETA on Android 7?
Old 07-23-18, 09:46 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Got my RMAd unit back today (due to wifi/BT issue) and all is good. So far working pretty much flawlessly in CarPlay and with google maps/Waze.
Old 07-25-18, 08:28 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Got my RMAd unit back today (due to wifi/BT issue) and all is good. So far working pretty much flawlessly in CarPlay and with google maps/Waze.
what was your issue?

My WiFi is REALLY weak..
My tablet and phone works fine, but the Grom has trouble connecting.

Haven't tested out the BT yet.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?