Old 08-23-18 | 02:54 PM
Nuckz23
Driver School Candidate

So is this working in the 2014 yet?
Old 08-25-18 | 06:43 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Make sure to submit an official RMA request from our web site.
As of 7.1 update, we decided to stop working on it for now since manufacturer has notified us that 8.1 is ready to be released. We are waiting for their last patches and fixes before making final decision if 7.1 or 8.1 will make it to the release.
We should have all the images and benchmarking done next week so we can conclude what version to proceed with. Most likely the first images will be available in September.
9 is out. Why not wait until then? Then 10 so wait a little more. Lol.

Last edited by wildta; 08-25-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-25-18 | 06:45 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Just downloaded the latest OTA SW and FW updates. We shall see if this truly stabilizes that it loads up every time I start the car. My back up camera however did not come on when I had it on the VLine input. The screen flashed briefly as if it was changing inputs when I switched into and out of reverse, however it did not change to the camera screen.

On another note, my car battery needed a recharge after returning from a nearly 2 week vacation. Do you think it's related to the VLine being installed? I also forgot to unplug my car charger.
It's 100% related. Just remember to unplug the main harness before leaving on long trips. I posted about this issue already, of course no fix from Grom other than what I suggested.
Old 08-25-18 | 06:56 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by wildta
Firmware 34 OTA on VL1 Gen 5 is buggy. Instant restarts. The homescreen barely flashed long enough for me to press the YES button in order to downgrade the firmware to v32 via USB. This was after a factory wipe so it was a super clean firmware upgrade. Anyway, I downgraded to 32 and it's fine again. I was hoping 34 (plus new ROM update) would get rid of memory leakage in the ROM which occurs over time and makes the entire OS slow and even buggier. It's apparent because if I don't factory wipe every 2-3 months, the system becomes unusable. It will randomly shutoff my entire radio system upon initial car starting, and it won't boot back up unless you turn off the engine and unplug the box from the car (to drain the residual power in the box). Even performing the aforementioned, only sometimes will it boot back up. I've also noticed that heat can play a role into whether or not it will boot up too. If my car has been sitting in the sun, it's less likely to boot up vs sitting in the shade or garage--this is only apparent after a couple months from a factory wipe.

I *think* Intelligent sleeping is likely to drain your car battery dead if left undriven for 1-2+ weeks (depending on your car and battery life/quality). I unplug my VL1 before any extended trips as it has killed my battery twice.

If you want stability, don't install GAPPS and instead side load them. Also, USB2 storage mounting is hit or miss. Right now my box will not read any USB drive--I tried two different ones, cleanly formatted as FAT32, saved the Headunit Reloaded (HUR) Beta APK there, and neither were read under the MTN file folder system (FW updates via USB still work though so who knows?). So my workaround was to do a BT file transfer. WiFi Direct does not work--it will start a connection and then instantly reboot which shows that the system is still very unstable.

As of this post I am running their latest ROM update from OTA, Firmware 32 via USB, sideloaded HUR Beta via XDA Labs, and disabled/cleared cache of all unnecessary apps like calculator, calendar, etc. We'll see how stable this method will be....

BTW, if you aren't aware, HUR will allow you to use Android Auto via USB or WiFi (using wifi hotspot). I know CarPlay just got this latter feature but Android Auto has had the ability to do this for a while now. HUR also allows WiFi Direct but so far VL1 has major instability issues with WiFi Direct so it's not an option.

Be warned this product is still very beta. A faster CPU and more RAM in the VL2 isn't going to fix the software/ROM issues.

It'd be better if Grom cooked up two different ROMs, one for Apple users that includes the CarPlay stuff and one for Android users who only need HUR and none of the other crap in the ROM.
Just catching up on this thread and it sounds like nothing has changed since VL1. I just wanted to point out my tips above because it seems to be the best solution, especially for Android Auto users. My system is as "stable" as it could be and II onl access my apps like Waze and Spotify using HUR and AA. Don't install GAPPS as it just slows your system down and instead sideload HUR. All other apps can be accessed via your phone which has a lot more cpu power. Grom is trying to make their launcher easy to use like CP and AA but it's not IMO. It's a full fledged Android operating system trying to mimic CP and AA... In other words, way more dangerous to operate while driving.

Last edited by wildta; 08-25-18 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-25-18 | 07:06 AM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i would wait 2 more months for 8.1 ... the oreo upgrade finally puts where android needs to be compared to iOS..
I love finally having the notification numbers on icons... (like have 5 next to Gmail icon to let you know that 5 new emails exist.

Thanks!
There are launchers like Nova Launcher that has had notification unread count badges for several years now.
Old 08-25-18 | 10:12 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
On another note, my car battery needed a recharge after returning from a nearly 2 week vacation. Do you think it's related to the VLine being installed? I also forgot to unplug my car charger.
Hard to generalize without data. If your battery is weak, small parasitic drains could be the cause. The GROM VL would be one, but then so is the car’s computer, could also be a trunk/glovebox light stuck on with a bad switch, or any other aftermarket device (i.e. phone charger, power inverter, radar detector and/or alarm system). That said I wish The VL had a power off toggle like a Android phone does, so you could fully power it off without need to pull the cable. Doing that too often is likely to result in broken wires and other issues, and replacing that cable is no trivial effort.

Perhaps GROM could offer an inline power toggle for the harness for those of us that want that; I’d be in for three.

I leave my car on a trickle charger if It will be unused for more than a week, so it has never been a problem, but then not always an option (i.e. long term parking at airport).

Last edited by KYLS; 08-25-18 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-18 | 11:16 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

There are launchers like Nova Launcher that has had notification unread count badges for several years now.
*mind blown

thanks!
Old 08-25-18 | 01:54 PM
tbever
Driver School Candidate

Help with grom vline2 install 2010 Sequoia Nav E7026 (listed as compatible)!!

I just got the vline 2 and tried to install it in a 2010 Sequoia LTD with JBL nav. Sorry if this is a lexus forum but I couldn't find any toyota forums talking about this.
I connected the vline to the nav unit I believe correctly: the installation instructions did not have an accurate picture of the back of the Sequoia nav unit and were not very helpful. However I think the connectors are all unique and there was no way to connect them incorrectly. The MCFToy connector went into the black female connector (only one is black), and the connector from the car went into the Y adapter on the same cable
The GVMF cable went into the square blue connector (there are 2 blue female connectors, only one will fit). This connector was empty so there was nothing to plug into the other Y of that cable.
When I powered it up, it does not show up at all when I press disc/aux multiple times. I did the five second initialization, waited a minute as per the instructions, and tried again but no go.
As per the instructions it suggested removing the aux/USB connector from the head unit. Of course they did not specify where that was located but through trial and error I identified that cable as being just above the 2 blue connectors.
I tried rebooting with and without the usb connector plugged in, and I tried resetting the head unit by unplugging the negative terminal of the car battery for a complete reboot but the Nav unit did not recognize it.
I know the vline is at least getting power because there is a small green led that is on inside the unit. I double checked the connections on the vline side and they are all tight.
I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Of course it's a weekend and tech support is closed but I did submit a ticket. I don't have much time to mess around with this during the week.

this is with the vline connected: the mcftoy is connected to the black receptacle, it is second from the right in the nearest row. The blue connection from gvmf is to the left of the closest other blue connector

this is the back of the radio from another source: (why couldn't grom include this in their instructions??). The black connector is shown, the blue connector I used is the one to the right, and the USB connection is the white receptacle just above the blue ones

This (I think) is the usb connection unplugged
Old 08-26-18 | 02:18 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

9 is out. Why not wait until then? Then 10 so wait a little more. Lol.
We just double checked with manufacturer and they do not have 9.0 yet for us. Do you have access to Rockchip 9.0 build already, or making one ? Please share so we can consider it. Appreciate your awareness.
Old 08-26-18 | 05:12 PM
pyroluv
Driver School Candidate

Default Android 8.1 update

We just double checked with manufacturer and they do not have 9.0 yet for us. Do you have access to Rockchip 9.0 build already, or making one ? Please share so we can consider it. Appreciate your awareness.
Rk3288 android 8.1

The following users liked this post:
ghinchy (11-05-18)
Old 08-26-18 | 05:54 PM
tbever
Driver School Candidate

Default got it working

[QUOTE=tbever;10288717]Help with grom vline2 install 2010 Sequoia Nav E7026 (listed as compatible)!!

I just got the vline 2 and tried to install it in a 2010 Sequoia LTD with JBL nav. Sorry if this is a lexus forum but I couldn't find any toyota forums talking about this.
I connected the vline to the nav unit I believe correctly: the installation instructions did not have an accurate picture of the back of the Sequoia nav unit and were not very helpful. However I think the connectors are all unique and there was no way to connect them incorrectly. The MCFToy connector went into the black female connector (only one is black), and the connector from the car went into the Y adapter on the same cable
The GVMF cable went into the square blue connector (there are 2 blue female connectors, only one will fit). This connector was empty so there was nothing to plug into the other Y of that cable.
When I powered it up, it does not show up at all when I press disc/aux multiple times. I did the five second initialization, waited a minute as per the instructions, and tried again but no go.
As per the instructions it suggested removing the aux/USB connector from the head unit. Of course they did not specify where that was located but through trial and error I identified that cable as being just above the 2 blue connectors.
I tried rebooting with and without the usb connector plugged in, and I tried resetting the head unit by unplugging the negative terminal of the car battery for a complete reboot but the Nav unit did not recognize it.
I know the vline is at least getting power because there is a small green led that is on inside the unit. I double checked the connections on the vline side and they are all tight.
I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Of course it's a weekend and tech support is closed but I did submit a ticket. I don't have much time to mess around with this during the week.

Update: if anyone else runs into this issue: tech support got back to me today on the weekend:

"The Factory USB module needs to be disabled as the GROM VLINE will take its place.
Please leave the female portion of the MFCTOY cable unplug and see if this helps
This will essential disable the factory USB module.

Reconnect that connection you left hanging shown in your "usbconnector.jpg" image, as that is not the factory USB module. That is for some other function of the stereo such as possibly steering wheel control "

So I was able to get it working: unfortunately the Toyota display is so low res it is difficult to see much on the maps. I'm not sure this is going to work out...
Old 08-27-18 | 10:20 PM
wildta
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

*mind blown

thanks!
Warning... You will spend a lot of time tinkering with the various settings but it's the best launcher!
Old 08-27-18 | 10:26 PM
wildta
Rookie

Why wait? Just cook your own ROM up. Plenty of sources out there:

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-pie-android-9-port-custom-roms/

https://www.androidauthority.com/build-custom-android-rom-720453/

Last edited by wildta; 08-27-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-28-18 | 10:45 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

So you already have drivers and Framework for Rockchip ported to AOSP 9.0 ? Great, please share, so we can port our stuff to it as well.
Old 08-31-18 | 11:05 AM
chucktaylu
Rookie

Recently, bluetooth as been constantly disconnecting on my V1. I would be able to connect to it with my phone without issue but it would immediately disconnect seconds after. I cant keep a connection for more than a few seconds. Anyone know whats going on?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?