IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 12:23 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes it is available for local customers only via manual upgrade. If you happen to be in the Bay Area, please stop by for an upgrade. The rest of the people will get it before Christmas.
Which year?
Old 11-24-18, 02:14 AM
Timarm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexForum
Hello.
Only bought VLine1
I do not understand how to activate the CarPlay. This feature is disabled due to problems with Apple? How can I resolve it? You can write in private messages
Apple is such a monopolizing company! I. Literally loath the company Android is the only way to go.
Old 11-27-18, 08:16 AM
LS430Z32TT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone using the VL2 on an LS430? I can't find many reviews or any videos of it being used on an LS430.
Old 11-27-18, 08:24 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have the VL2 on my 05 LS430, but I am very happy with the VL1. I use almost exclusively with CarPlay now that Waze and Google Maps has been added. I also use youtube sometimes if I'm showing it off to someone.

I can possibly upload a video later, but my review is overwhelmingly positive after a few road bumps early on. I should also note that I only paid the $299 presale price 2 years ago when it came out.
Old 11-27-18, 08:31 AM
LS430Z32TT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
I don't have the VL2 on my 05 LS430, but I am very happy with the VL1. I use almost exclusively with CarPlay now that Waze and Google Maps has been added. I also use youtube sometimes if I'm showing it off to someone.

I can possibly upload a video later, but my review is overwhelmingly positive after a few road bumps early on. I should also note that I only paid the $299 presale price 2 years ago when it came out.
Great for that price. I don't use apple products, so I'd be waiting for the Android Auto (if ever they decide to support that). I guess I'm not sure if it's worth it without Android Auto support.
Tell me if it's able to do this: I'd like to be able to (all wirelessly) tether my phone to the VL for data, use google maps on the VL for navigation while simultaneously streaming bluetooth music (from the phone's internal storage)?
Or would music need to be stored on the VL itself?
Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-27-18, 08:38 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

There is a way to side load Android Auto, some posts here detail how, you might have to dig a little though or hope someone chimes in.

I believe it is possible to use your phone as a hotspot for Nav and bluetooth for music at the same time, although, I know there have been some complaints on the bluetooth cutting in and out along the way. I'm not sure if that is fully resolved or not.

I can fully vouch for the VL in terms of use with Apple products, however, your use would vary greatly from mine. I can also tell you, it will make the LS430 feel like a new car all over again once you add a new infotainment interface, regardless of your application.
The following users liked this post:
LS430Z32TT (11-27-18)
Old 11-27-18, 10:26 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

we have few demos on LS460:

Old 11-27-18, 02:52 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430Z32TT
Great for that price. I don't use apple products, so I'd be waiting for the Android Auto (if ever they decide to support that). I guess I'm not sure if it's worth it without Android Auto support.
Tell me if it's able to do this: I'd like to be able to (all wirelessly) tether my phone to the VL for data, use google maps on the VL for navigation while simultaneously streaming bluetooth music (from the phone's internal storage)?
Or would music need to be stored on the VL itself?
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, it's able to do that. Think of it like an Android tablet sitting in your dash. Google maps runs as an app and you can stream bluetooth audio from your phone. It will sound better, though, if you stream from an app like Spotify or Pandora (through wifi) rather than BT to your phone. Plus you gain the ability to use the screen and/or voice control to make changes to your music.

Based upon previous comment from Grom - Android Auto isn't coming - because of Google restrictions, not because they don't want to.
Old 11-27-18, 04:31 PM
LS430Z32TT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
There is a way to side load Android Auto, some posts here detail how, you might have to dig a little though or hope someone chimes in.

I believe it is possible to use your phone as a hotspot for Nav and bluetooth for music at the same time, although, I know there have been some complaints on the bluetooth cutting in and out along the way. I'm not sure if that is fully resolved or not.

I can fully vouch for the VL in terms of use with Apple products, however, your use would vary greatly from mine. I can also tell you, it will make the LS430 feel like a new car all over again once you add a new infotainment interface, regardless of your application.
Thanks so much for the help. Final question for you: How does the (almost ancient relative to modern displays) touch controls on the older LS430 touchscreen feel? Are there any limitations due to the fact that the hardware is probably a first generation touch panel?
Old 11-28-18, 05:25 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

I was surprised at how well the 14+ year old screen does hold up. It is by no means HD or visually near the quality of what you would get today, but the touch works fine. Anything I have run looks good and is nowhere near as pixelated as the factory graphics. There may be some details missing, but anything is better and welcome coming from the unintuitive and dated feel of the factory nav.

In short, I have not noticed any limitations from the dated nav in terms of functionality.

I should also add that I was able to install it myself with absolutely no experience in doing this sort of project. Took me about 3 hours the first time. The second time I went in it took me about 20 minutes to get everything off to reroute the cables and then reassemble.

Last edited by unagijimbo; 11-28-18 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 02:12 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430Z32TT
How does the touch controls on the older LS430 touchscreen feel?
I assume it's similar to our F's, touch works fine just there is no dragging. got to use the arrows at the side to scroll up and down. Works pretty well though you feel like a dinosaur not being able to scroll like a phone lol

Old 12-04-18, 04:58 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

You actually CAN drag on the LS430, it's just not the same as on a phone, a little more laggy, but it IS possible.
Old 12-04-18, 06:48 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by banserki
I assume it's similar to our F's, touch works fine just there is no dragging. got to use the arrows at the side to scroll up and down. Works pretty well though you feel like a dinosaur not being able to scroll like a phone lol
I use a wireless keyboard with an integrated touch pad for drag and scroll functions. Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Compatible-Raspberry/dp/B00WQG6A8C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_2*?*_*e*n*c*o*d*i*n*g*=*U*T*F*8*&*a*m*p*&*p*s*c*=*1*&*a*m*p*&*r*e*f*R*I*D*=*G*9*N*2*0KRBQVZ9F0PQRB2J https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Compatible-Raspberry/dp/B00WQG6A8C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_2*?*_*e*n*c*o*d*i*n*g*=*U*T*F*8*&*a*m*p*&*p*s*c*=*1*&*a*m*p*&*r*e*f*R*I*D*=*G*9*N*2*0KRBQVZ9F0PQRB2J

Of course it's not so easy to use when driving but far more convenient when you are just getting in and setting stuff up.

Old 12-05-18, 11:58 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I use a wireless keyboard with an integrated touch pad for drag and scroll functions. Similar to this: https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-Wireless-K...RBQVZ9F0PQRB2J

Of course it's not so easy to use when driving but far more convenient when you are just getting in and setting stuff up.
I hadnt even thought of that as a solution. I admit on my ISF sometimes the screen can be a touch laggy when typing. I know one solution is to just download a better/bigger keyboard or adjust the layout but wouldnt mind a wireless keyboard.

Do you have it permanently mounted somehow or just conceal it somewhere and bring it out when needed?
Old 12-05-18, 12:40 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
I hadnt even thought of that as a solution. I admit on my ISF sometimes the screen can be a touch laggy when typing. I know one solution is to just download a better/bigger keyboard or adjust the layout but wouldnt mind a wireless keyboard.

Do you have it permanently mounted somehow or just conceal it somewhere and bring it out when needed?
Its 'concealed' in the arm rest glove box. If I feel lazy it goes in the door pocket. If I'm especially lethargic it sits in the ashtray.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make it a more permanently mounted accessory that is also esthetically appealing. The challenge is also to do it so that if need be, it can be uninstalled without leaving marks or damage to the interior.

The keyboard I got is formed for two hand use. I think a small rectangular one with an onboard touchpad would look nicer.
BTW I have the keyboard with a USB wireless adapter which I find works so much better than a bluetooth keyboard (with the Vline). Mostly because the Bluetooth on the Vline is so quirky. The wireless usb adapter keyboard works instantly and mostly flawlessly.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?