IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How safe are wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 12:09 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts
Default How safe are wheel spacers

I am thinking of getting some good quality 15mm wheel spacers how safe are they to use on the ISF, ( do they handle track work )has anyone had any problems and are they legal.
Old 10-02-16, 12:50 AM
isfvss
Racer

Just had a read of a few threads i don't think i will worry about it, but i would still like to hear any comments..
Old 10-02-16, 02:01 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Since you're not worried about it, just put them on. As I'm sure you've done your due diligence, you've seen both sides of the argument.
Old 10-02-16, 03:07 AM
isfvss
Racer

I WONT be using them there is no argument on safety.
Old 10-02-16, 03:37 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

As long as there are ample threads on the lugs, you will be fine. I guess it depends on the type of spacers used.
Old 10-02-16, 07:07 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Extended studs like H&R no problem, adapter style spacers I would not!!
Old 10-02-16, 09:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I used H&R spaces with built in studs (not extended studs) without any issues on OEM wheels throughout each winter. I checked them from time to time to ensure there was no loosening or anything else, which there never was, but it is always a good idea to keep an eye on them.
Old 10-02-16, 11:18 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you use the original studs and they are long enough (they must extend into the lug nut at least the diameter of the stud) then they are just ok. If not you must get longer studs. Be sure any new studs are of the correct grade of steel. Larger diameter studs are a good idea especially if you are serious about tracking your car. If you drag race with sticky tires, this goes double.

Never and I mean never use adapters. They are a very bad idea. Saw an accident one time where a pickup truck was overloaded and sheared the studs on the adapter. Several members of the family died.

No short cuts on securing wheels. Be sure to get a good half inch drive torque wrench and check the torque on the nuts. Over tightening is not good either.

Loren
Old 10-03-16, 07:41 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
The safety issue would be reduced somewhat if the spacer holes were a press fit on the studs (in effect extending the hub), but they're not.
This means that the wheel load exerts a bending moment on the stud where it exits the hub (as if the spacer were absent), and has greater leverage (mechanical advantage) because of the extra length.
Assuming you inspect them frequently and avoid hard cornering loads you should be safe, but other than disassembly I don't know any way to detect stud bending - which is the first step to failure.
Technically the friction fit from the clamping force of hub and wheel is what is taking the load from the bending moment you speak of. You can do some some calculations, and find that the clamping force is enough to hold 3000-3500lb per wheel before slipping. The actual studs shouldn't experience any force unless the lugs are loose. This is why you usually see people with broken studs because their lugs where loose. I would say extend studs with a spacer are safe and I know people who run them on their spec racecars without issue. Adapters are another story and I would only use them for street. They tend to vary in quality and could possible crack.
Old 10-03-16, 10:52 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some manufactures(like Porsche) use spacers on their production cars. That should tell you how safe spacers can be if used properly. I say don't ever skimp and don't get the cheapest when it comes to spacers. Set it up properly, since it is your life on the line.

An example of going cheap and getting studs from Home Depot.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 10-03-16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 11:42 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Extended studs or even the HR integrated studs with spacers should be zero risk if installed properly. They are hub centric, or at least should be otherwise I wouldn't run them. That's merely an extension of the factory hub. There's no "hinging" on the studs as some believe. Clamping force has already been discussed.

Most spacer "horror" stories are from people that bought cheap garbage, didn't torque their damn wheels, or are running those adapters that are ridiculously thick. Only issues of a proper wheel spacer in my opinion is increased bearing wear which is no different than wider low offset wheels.
Old 10-03-16, 11:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

And another one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2-spacers.html

Lou
Old 10-03-16, 11:44 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

I use H&R with extended studs for 3 years already 20mm all around. Daily driver and aggressive driver on the weekend, at times i carry 3 adults during long drive. No single problems encountered. Its safe!!!
Old 10-03-16, 11:46 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently running HR with their studs and have had no issues for a year. Nothing loosening and no issues.
Old 10-03-16, 04:38 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I've run H&R 15mm spacers w/extended studs at my last 4 track days. I haven't noticed any issues. Of course, I torque my lugs before hitting the track and check them several times throughout the day (after letting them cool a bit). No problems yet. Though, I'll remove them when I start using dedicated track wheels w/stickier rubber.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 10-03-16 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How safe are wheel spacers