IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 06:15 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've had my wheels refinished at Wheel Wizard in Atlanta. They do everything from minor scratches to full refinishing, including polishing and multicolor patterns. They do high end exotics - Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and all the pedestrian brands too. If they won't fix it, it should not be fixed. I have seen some truly amazing results.

That said, they're not the cheapest around, and I spent almost $800 getting my 2014 wheels redone. They were stripped, painted black, and powder coated clear. They looked amazing the day I put them on, and they still look amazing when they are clean.

For those unhappy with the hot brake pad bits melting into their wheel paint, I was able to remove all of it with Iron-X.
Will try Iron-X, thanks lobux. Does that just naturally occur with the brakes on this car? Im the only person who's cleaned this car since I bought it(weekly) and I know I haven't done something to stain the wheels so I couldn't figure out where the black stuff came from
Old 10-24-16, 07:04 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
Will try Iron-X, thanks lobux. Does that just naturally occur with the brakes on this car? Im the only person who's cleaned this car since I bought it(weekly) and I know I haven't done something to stain the wheels so I couldn't figure out where the black stuff came from
Brake dust is acidic and generally the black spots occur when someone sprays their wheels while they're warm. Two acids, heat and drying time don't make a right. Chemist dilute things (usually with water since it's probably the best solvent known to man) and many times add heat to cause reactions. In this case you're essentially quickly oxidizing your wheels with heat and acidic cleaners. That's why it's important to cool them off before spraying chemicals on them. You could go one step further after cooling them off and spray them down with a mixture of sodium bicarbonate (baking Sosa) and water which will counter the acid and make it nonreactive.