IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 01:52 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any benefit to resetting the ecu after blending rather than just leaving it alone and letting it learn by itself?
Old 10-31-16, 02:10 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't reset mine
Old 10-31-16, 02:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
Is there any benefit to resetting the ecu after blending rather than just leaving it alone and letting it learn by itself?
The ECM starts learning in seconds once you get to closed loop operation and we have a wideband primary sensor, so I wouldn't bother with resetting it.
Old 10-31-16, 03:00 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay that's what I figured, thank you!
Old 11-01-16, 11:28 AM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Presuming this forum is open to diverse opinions; i'm kind of surprised I'd be the first to diss ethanol. I believe corn ethanol is a very politically motivated product designed to generate tax incentives and perhaps originally to reduce dependence on middle east oil, though since we and Canada produce so much oil now that part is not really a factor. Also, corn is not that easy to process into ethanol so it actually takes more energy to produce it than it generates. Finally i don't really trust long term effects on seals and engines. Fossil fuels get a bad rap from certain left wing environmentalists but for now there really isn't anything that produces energy so efficiently as good old oil.
Ethanol, solar, big batteries; none of these are an ultimate solution or replacement for fossil fuel cars. Don't get me wrong, i would welcome a new form of efficient energy like a dylithium crystal-driven car, i just think its okay to use oil until that new form of energy is discovered.
Old 11-01-16, 11:46 AM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DBrian
Presuming this forum is open to diverse opinions; i'm kind of surprised I'd be the first to diss ethanol. I believe corn ethanol is a very politically motivated product designed to generate tax incentives and perhaps originally to reduce dependence on middle east oil, though since we and Canada produce so much oil now that part is not really a factor. Also, corn is not that easy to process into ethanol so it actually takes more energy to produce it than it generates. Finally i don't really trust long term effects on seals and engines. Fossil fuels get a bad rap from certain left wing environmentalists but for now there really isn't anything that produces energy so efficiently as good old oil.
Ethanol, solar, big batteries; none of these are an ultimate solution or replacement for fossil fuel cars. Don't get me wrong, i would welcome a new form of efficient energy like a dylithium crystal-driven car, i just think its okay to use oil until that new form of energy is discovered.
People like it because it's like having race gas available at the pump. We all like higher octane and more horsepower!
Old 11-01-16, 12:22 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

There's a pretty good documentary on Netflix about bio fuels/e85 called Pump. Pretty interesting watch.
Old 11-01-16, 12:56 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Like Liquidtek said above watch the documentary film below called "pump" on Netflix it's worth watching to get a different point of view on the industry as a whole including the ethanol industry. Many of us might differ with your opinion on the oil industry, but that's ok we all don't have to agree on this subject.

Originally Posted by BirgeyT1
People like it because it's like having race gas available at the pump. We all like higher octane and more horsepower!
Agreed! And to point out it's over a $1 less than premium @104 octane here locally anyway which is a bonus! What's not to like.....

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 11-01-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 01:12 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the end , political motivation or not, science is science. Ethanol has been proven to produce better power (through higher cylinder pressures, not energy/ unit mass) and fewer greenhouse gas pending design of the engine and origin of the raw fuel source (corn vs. sugar/biomass). I have also read some articles pointing to the fact that it actually does not take more energy to produce, although this tends to go back and forth. I actually think politics is why people tend to want to crush ethanol before it can gain traction. Let's not pretend that the politics of big oil (right wing?) probably far outweigh that of bio fuels, they have been in the game a little longer.

On the vehicle design side I can understand your concern, I do think there is truth on the effects of ethanol on car components, mainly designed for fossil fuels. Working for a automotive company I can tell you that if cost can be saved on NOT putting in special components/coatings when needed, cost will be saved. Ethanol has proven to be corrosive (mainly from it's hygroscopic qualities) for both metallic and polymer components if not designed. I know most modern cars have been designed to resist E10-E15 but when putting in anything above that we are putting additional faith in the engineers and beancounters going beyond the standard/requirements, which is entirely possible but still involves some risk. Motor oil has also been known to get diluted from usage, even on FFVs. The Toyota Tundra which also uses the UR motor has a Flex fuel version and requires the oil changes be done in half the interval (according to service manual). Don't get me wrong though, I'm not against trying E20 or even E30 in the F for some additional post-tune power, I have done it and enjoy all the data and technical discussion surrounding it. I would just like to bring attention to the fact that based on the frequency of use we might have to pay more attention to whats going on technically. Counterpoints welcome, as i'm still learning about this.
Old 11-01-16, 03:44 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
In the end , political motivation or not, science is science. Ethanol has been proven to produce better power (through higher cylinder pressures, not energy/ unit mass) and fewer greenhouse gas pending design of the engine and origin of the raw fuel source (corn vs. sugar/biomass). I have also read some articles pointing to the fact that it actually does not take more energy to produce, although this tends to go back and forth. I actually think politics is why people tend to want to crush ethanol before it can gain traction. Let's not pretend that the politics of big oil (right wing?) probably far outweigh that of bio fuels, they have been in the game a little longer.

On the vehicle design side I can understand your concern, I do think there is truth on the effects of ethanol on car components, mainly designed for fossil fuels. Working for a automotive company I can tell you that if cost can be saved on NOT putting in special components/coatings when needed, cost will be saved. Ethanol has proven to be corrosive (mainly from it's hygroscopic qualities) for both metallic and polymer components if not designed. I know most modern cars have been designed to resist E10-E15 but when putting in anything above that we are putting additional faith in the engineers and beancounters going beyond the standard/requirements, which is entirely possible but still involves some risk. Motor oil has also been known to get diluted from usage, even on FFVs. The Toyota Tundra which also uses the UR motor has a Flex fuel version and requires the oil changes be done in half the interval (according to service manual). Don't get me wrong though, I'm not against trying E20 or even E30 in the F for some additional post-tune power, I have done it and enjoy all the data and technical discussion surrounding it. I would just like to bring attention to the fact that based on the frequency of use we might have to pay more attention to whats going on technically. Counterpoints welcome, as i'm still learning about this.
Very informative post!! Thanks for sharing.

-Mike
Old 11-01-16, 03:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Greenhouse gas is a politically charged word. When someone can explain why the polar ice cap on Mars is disappearing too, I'll start to believe there may be a grain of truth in the whole silliness about anthropogenic climate change. Until then, any alcohol makes more power because the heat of vaporization is greater which means the fuel naturally resists detonation better. Alcohol is not cheap to produce without subsidies, and is especially more expensive when the government taxes it instead of subsidizing it - go to any bar and feel the pain of paying tax for your alcohol.

Alcohol has fewer BTUs per unit volume, so you need more to go the same distance. Add 10% alcohol to your fuel, expect about 4% less fuel economy. But, if you build an engine to run on alcohol, you can put static compression much higher than a gasoline engine, or you can boost the same compression ratio much higher because you can resist detonation better. You just have to make everything happy running on alcohol. Viton seals everywhere. Anodized aluminum. Teflon. Lots of fun stuff. But even the alcohol guys "pickle" their engines with gasoline to prevent corrosion.

With direct injection, I'd be less inclined to believe high alcohol content is going to make a happy engine long term. Those injectors were never intended for high percentages of alcohol.
Old 11-01-16, 04:01 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Very informative post!! Thanks for sharing.

-Mike

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Greenhouse gas is a politically charged word. When someone can explain why the polar ice cap on Mars is disappearing too, I'll start to believe there may be a grain of truth in the whole silliness about anthropogenic climate change. Until then, any alcohol makes more power because the heat of vaporization is greater which means the fuel naturally resists detonation better. Alcohol is not cheap to produce without subsidies, and is especially more expensive when the government taxes it instead of subsidizing it - go to any bar and feel the pain of paying tax for your alcohol.

Alcohol has fewer BTUs per unit volume, so you need more to go the same distance. Add 10% alcohol to your fuel, expect about 4% less fuel economy. But, if you build an engine to run on alcohol, you can put static compression much higher than a gasoline engine, or you can boost the same compression ratio much higher because you can resist detonation better. You just have to make everything happy running on alcohol. Viton seals everywhere. Anodized aluminum. Teflon. Lots of fun stuff. But even the alcohol guys "pickle" their engines with gasoline to prevent corrosion.

With direct injection, I'd be less inclined to believe high alcohol content is going to make a happy engine long term. Those injectors were never intended for high percentages of alcohol.
This one too.. Thanks!

-Mike
Old 11-02-16, 06:48 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Greenhouse gas is only politically charged because politicians/people use it for self-serving arguments. In the end it is just a scientific word regardless if one believes that it contributes to the theory of anthropogenic climate change. There is greenhouse gas from ethanol though, since it produces water vapor, so I guess, without getting political or whatever, both produce greenhouse gas, which greenhouse gas has more impact is still debatable.

I agree, long term high alcohol content usage was probably not a design parameter for our DI.
Old 11-02-16, 06:53 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ask 97% of the scientist community.
Old 11-02-16, 12:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by juanmedina
You should ask 97% of the scientist community.
I would, but this isn't the debate forum.

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?