IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 08:44 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Why not just get a water/meth injection kit instead of running a fuel that’s not recognized as compatible with the car? Typically they’re used on forced induction applications but they’re also made for MAF/MAP NA applications and water/meth is pretty cheap compared to replacing fuel system components. Snow Performance, for example, says a 3 qt system will typically last for about one full tank of gas. It might be more annoying to fill up with each gas refill but it has to be less annoying than replacing fuel system components?
I don't know, the water meth injection is something that involves money and doing extra stuff in the engine bay. (doing it properly)
As far as korn goes pumps are already a blend of ethanol anyway. I remember doing research about this stuff which most cars after a certain year pretty much already recognize this blend some even full ethanol. W/o even needing a tune (I'm not talking about flex fuel vehicles fyi)

if I ever tried it would be what previous posters have been using for years with no issues and proven gains, which would be 30% e85 or less with the rest being 93 octane, I would be down to give that a try. So far thou I'm happy how fast this car is stock so I'm in no rush of going faster.
Old 03-05-18, 09:39 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Why not just get a water/meth injection kit instead of running a fuel that’s not recognized as compatible with the car? Typically they’re used on forced induction applications but they’re also made for MAF/MAP NA applications and water/meth is pretty cheap compared to replacing fuel system components. Snow Performance, for example, says a 3 qt system will typically last for about one full tank of gas. It might be more annoying to fill up with each gas refill but it has to be less annoying than replacing fuel system components?
From my understanding water/meth doesn't have the gain on a NA car as it does a force inducted car. NA cars aren't as knock limited as a boosted car
Old 03-05-18, 10:54 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
From my understanding water/meth doesn't have the gain on a NA car as it does a force inducted car. NA cars aren't as knock limited as a boosted car
Water/meth injection is mostly used on forced induction cars as it absorbs heat, lowers intake temperatures and adds knock resistance. I did go and look up in my user’s manual though to see if there was anything stated about methanol:

”Lexus recommends the use of cleaner burning gasoline
Cleaner burning gasoline, including reformulated gasoline that contains oxygen- ates such as ethanol or MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) is available in many areas.
Lexus recommends the use of cleaner burning gasoline and appropriately blended reformulated gasoline. These types of gasoline provide excellent vehicle perfor- mance, reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality.
■ Lexus does not recommend blended gasoline
● Lexus allows the use of oxygenate blended gasoline where the oxygenate con-
tent is up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE.
● If you use gasohol in your Lexus, be sure that it has an octane rating no lower than87.
● Lexus DOES NOT recommend the use of gasoline containing methanol.”

So scratch that idea, it was just a thought. Hopefully no one rushed to install a W/M injection kit from my post. 😬
Old 03-05-18, 01:31 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

meth injection should have similar effect to running E30 in our cars...lower IATs, higher octane, should allow the car to run a little more timing without any knock.
Old 03-05-18, 01:38 PM
glerink
Driver

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
meth injection should have similar effect to running E30 in our cars...lower IATs, higher octane, should allow the car to run a little more timing without any knock.
idk too much about meth injection since never really researched it, all I know.... is meth injection is something that I have to spend money on thru a kit just to have the accessibility, when ethanol is at the pump.

I'm over here defending ethanol like an experience user when I never really used it, I just consider myself well informed about it lol similar to my weed discussions don't smoke it but defend it
Old 03-05-18, 01:48 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by glerink
idk too much about meth injection since never really researched it, all I know.... is meth injection is something that I have to spend money on thru a kit just to have the accessibility, when ethanol is at the pump.

I'm over here defending ethanol like an experience user when I never really used it, I just consider myself well informed about it lol similar to my weed discussions don't smoke it but defend it
yea, im with you there, if I had access to ethanol at the pump here id blend some for sure but I dont, thats really the only reason id have to consider a meth setup but even then, its kinda a pain in the ***, expensive kit, install, and refilling meth all the time.

Might as well just buy a bunch of cases of good octane booster like VP octanium and put half a can in on every fill up or something lol

The initial price of the meth kit would probably pay for years of octane booster
Old 03-05-18, 02:09 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

yea, im with you there, if I had access to ethanol at the pump here id blend some for sure but I dont, thats really the only reason id have to consider a meth setup but even then, its kinda a pain in the ***, expensive kit, install, and refilling meth all the time.

Might as well just buy a bunch of cases of good octane booster like VP octanium and put half a can in on every fill up or something lol

The initial price of the meth kit would probably pay for years of octane booster

Depends on your driving but a W/M injection kit is about $500-600 and no more complicated to install than nitrous. But none of that really matters since Lexus doesn’t endorse its use or anything other than straight gas and up to a 10% mix of ethanol with straight gas. The water and methonal mixture is something like a dollar and many people just use their windshield washer fluid reservoir. Windshield washer fluid is already a mix of water and methanol and sometimes other chemicals like ethylene glycol. You’d just need to make sure you get one that is water and methanol only and the mixture is usually 1:4-1:2 methanol to water.

But Im no longer suggesting a water meth kit since the OM clearly states Lexus doesn’t endorse that.
Old 03-05-18, 02:46 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Depends on your driving but a W/M injection kit is about $500-600 and no more complicated to install than nitrous. But none of that really matters since Lexus doesn’t endorse its use or anything other than straight gas and up to a 10% mix of ethanol with straight gas. The water and methonal mixture is something like a dollar and many people just use their windshield washer fluid reservoir. Windshield washer fluid is already a mix of water and methanol and sometimes other chemicals like ethylene glycol. You’d just need to make sure you get one that is water and methanol only and the mixture is usually 1:4-1:2 methanol to water.

But Im no longer suggesting a water meth kit since the OM clearly states Lexus doesn’t endorse that.
lol im sure the OEM doesnt endorse running 30% ethanol or headers or aftermarket tunes either

either way, with an NA application like our cars you really arent going to notice a huge difference from any of this like you would a boosted car
Old 03-05-18, 04:42 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

lol im sure the OEM doesnt endorse running 30% ethanol or headers or aftermarket tunes either

either way, with an NA application like our cars you really arent going to notice a huge difference from any of this like you would a boosted car
Snow claims water meth changes 91 octane to an effective rate of 116 octane. So of course it won’t increase performance like being able to add 5-10 more psi on a forced induction setup. But if you’re running 91 octane and it’s 95° outside there’s still a good chance you’d benefit from a higher octane rating.

with regards to the manufacturer not endorsing 30% ethanol there’s far more involved like the seals and components that are not made to operate on that fuel. Lexus wouldn’t endorse a careless mufflerless exhaust system because they can’t legally. They would recommend tunes because that takes to reliability out of their hands but leaves all the liability in those same hands. Same with superchargers, nitrous, etc. The fuel thing is quite different in that it’s not a control issue but a materials issue.

Old 03-06-18, 07:30 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Snow claims water meth changes 91 octane to an effective rate of 116 octane. So of course it won’t increase performance like being able to add 5-10 more psi on a forced induction setup. But if you’re running 91 octane and it’s 95° outside there’s still a good chance you’d benefit from a higher octane rating.

with regards to the manufacturer not endorsing 30% ethanol there’s far more involved like the seals and components that are not made to operate on that fuel. Lexus wouldn’t endorse a careless mufflerless exhaust system because they can’t legally. They would recommend tunes because that takes to reliability out of their hands but leaves all the liability in those same hands. Same with superchargers, nitrous, etc. The fuel thing is quite different in that it’s not a control issue but a materials issue.

yea, the meth would help lower IATs and allow the car to run more timing, certainly would benefit and make more power, all I was saying is the average person isnt going to notice 10-20 hp in his day to day driving with a 400+hp car.

Honestly if I was gonna spend the money and effort on a system like that id just do nitrous lol At least you know when you spray 100 shot you are going to notice a difference.
Old 03-06-18, 08:58 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by glerink

Since you know about weed if I ran 30% cannabis oil mixed with 70% 93 octane gas would that retard timing in any way and possibly make the car run slower lol.
or
use cannabis and water injection kit the Hookah 3000 kit set at 1:25-1:7 will that increase or decrease the burn rate? How would that affect that detonation especially in the summer time lol.
Old 03-06-18, 09:43 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Since you know about weed if I ran 30% cannabis oil mixed with 70% 93 octane gas would that retard timing in any way and possibly make the car run slower lol.
or
use cannabis and water injection kit the Hookah 3000 kit set at 1:25-1:7 will that increase or decrease the burn rate? How would that affect that detonation especially in the summer time lol.
Just make sure you use a Sativa strain for that.. An Indica may result in your car not wanting to do much of anything except sit in the garage & watch track day videos!
Old 03-06-18, 09:49 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Just make sure you use a Sativa strain for that.. An Indica may result in your car not wanting to do much of anything except sit in the garage & watch track day videos!
I
So
Fried

☺️
Old 03-06-18, 10:32 AM
glerink
Driver

Originally Posted by Weapon F
or
lmao its definitely going to retard timing with the cannabis mix
Old 03-06-18, 05:47 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Don't tempt me guys, you know what state we live in

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?