IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:51 AM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I use an E85 calculator that takes into effect the 10% ethanol on the pump gas and spits out the blended octane. But like I said earlier your ratio will vary by possibly up to 5% based on blends and what's in the pump gas to begin with and the E85, which can be as low as E70 or up to E85, so it's not an exact science but the variability won't hurt anything between 30-35% which is where I've been with my F.
Well shoot. Didnt know you were caluclating for the 10% ... If thats the case I must be running e40 ooooooooogggghh.
Attached Thumbnails Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?-images.jpg  
Old 10-25-16, 09:01 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by diegoleyla
I live in the Houston area and was wondering what the best way to start off would be? I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust, no tune or headers. What mix or type should be used. I always fill up with shell 93. Any advice would be awesome!
Do about a 20-25% blend first if you're feeling weary about it. You'll see a change
Old 10-25-16, 09:05 AM
2010ISFU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom of the page has the calculator for mixing 2 fuels

https://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
Old 10-25-16, 09:45 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not a chemistry expert, but the fuel cap says NOT to run E15-E85 fuel in this car. I'm sure the manual states that somewhere as well.

I would rather mix some race gas with 93 and call it a day.
Old 10-25-16, 10:36 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems with some of the data logs, the car still runs fine, if not than better. But I do see what you are saying.
Old 10-25-16, 11:03 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I'm not a chemistry expert, but the fuel cap says NOT to run E15-E85 fuel in this car. I'm sure the manual states that somewhere as well.

I would rather mix some race gas with 93 and call it a day.
Nothing wrong with race gas either except that it's flipping expensive (like $8-10 gal?) If you have access to put in race gas every fill up and don't mind the cost then more power to you

Your correct the manual states that for a lot of cars about not running above E10 or E15, but the research I've done along with many other people all over the world is that running E85 in a non-flex fuel vehicle won't damage anything.

If anything you'll need a bigger fuel delivery system if you want to run E85 100% (no blending with pump gas), but other than that nothing that I've seen has attributed E85 as damaging any modern vehicle after about 1991 or so IIRC?

Don't fall into the trap of believing the hype big oil has put out there as scare tactics against the ethanol industry, they don't want any competition at the pumps where people would have a choice on what type of fuel to put in their vehicle, so they will run a smear campaign to obtain total dominance/monopoly on the fueling standard for the combustion engine.

By the way we're only blending at 30% or so and everything from datalogs to my mpg has given me confidence that E85 is a great alternative to race gas at a fraction of the cost (here it's $1.69 gal) to raise KCLV numbers and advance timing so the tune (at least at altitude) can advance timing the way it was programmed to without the restriction (knock/retardation of timing) of pump 91 for many of us in the country.
Old 10-25-16, 12:40 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Having to bump up your octane level seems like a bandaid. Anyone wonder why the system is so damn sensitive in the first place it detects knock if your passenger rips ***?
Old 10-25-16, 01:11 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Having to bump up your octane level seems like a bandaid. Anyone wonder why the system is so damn sensitive in the first place it detects knock if your passenger rips ***?
It's sensitive so it won't blow up like BMWs
Old 10-25-16, 02:20 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FFM
Your right it is kind of a bandaid, especially for us at altitude. Thank goodness this works for us! I'm assuming maybe the tune could be dialed in more for specific altitudes/geographic areas to be truly custom tuned, but then you'd need Rafi/Steve to fly out and do custom tunes on location at a dyno which I don't think is feasible at the moment?
Old 10-25-16, 02:32 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Oh I just noticed where you lived. Guess that makes sense then.

For me. I look at it as if I'm getting a tune it should be dialed to what I can source at the pump with no risk of throwing off my knock correction unless there's ACTUALLY a problem. Whereas right now I feel the system is too over protective.
Old 10-25-16, 02:42 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Agree with you on the fact that our cars do seem like they are very sensitive to anything remotely resembling knock including your passenger ripping one lol!

It goes to show that when someone is having issues with a cracked manifold that the clanging around is enough to replicate knock to the sensors and pull timing? Crazy!
Old 10-25-16, 04:14 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I thought I read in another thread that Rafi was able to fix the tune for those running in high altitude environments. Did that not work?
Old 10-25-16, 07:31 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

He did revise it and is called the "High Altitude Tune" and was a lot better than the standard "sea level/general tune"

I'll let others here who had that tune chime in as I never had that particular tune and started with the tuned intake/header/exhaust FBO tune
Old 10-25-16, 07:52 PM
sahelmad24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I filled 3 gallons of e85 today in Houston! I have the RR tune already, and after filling up I didn't feel any difference. I guess that's a good thing haha, I do not datalog but I'm sure it helped my KCLV. I will continue to do this though, I love the smell of corn
Old 10-25-16, 08:00 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran the high altitude tune for quite some time, the tune wasnt nearly aggressive for obvious reasons... but pulled hard on the upper end. Rafi and I have tried multiple tunes to test and log at altitude. RR really went above and beyond with trying to optimize the tune for us. The high altitude tune did well but after i had started blending e30 I loaded up the original tune and have had quite the positive outcome. Gained torque on my low-high end again. So far the e30 has been a game changer for us in the thin air. Quite honestly dont think it is nessisary at sea level but could only imagine it would only help with further advancing the timing. I'm curious to see the review on those who have just blended in the past few days in other regions and see what they think.

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?