IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:04 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sahelmad24
I filled 3 gallons of e85 today in Houston! I have the RR tune already, and after filling up I didn't feel any difference. I guess that's a good thing haha, I do not datalog but I'm sure it helped my KCLV. I will continue to do this though, I love the smell of corn
Im sure it helped somehow. The car has alot of knock when the intake temps are high. 90+ And i know in texas... its hot lol. The added octane should keep your values up just a hair in accelerated temps.
Old 10-25-16, 08:26 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Just from my experience I noticed the quickest ECU learning when switching to blended fuel when I reset the ECU. I drove around a bit without resetting my ecu and it took awhile before I saw KCLV improvement. But after resetting it seemed to compensate for the changes much quicker. I had started a thread about the high altitude and the effects on the KCLV. I'm probably one of the few if not only person with both company tunes. Rafi was beyond helpful and quick at sending me the tunes and recommended blending thanks to other local guys constant data logging with it. As for TTFS, well I eventually received a 'revised' tune from them after much nagging. Pre-tune revision(s) my KCLV were complete garbage. After revisions they were 'acceptable'. After revision + blending it seems to be above average but I'm still yet to get my KCLV into the 20s but much better than previously. Having better luck with e85 than I did running octane booster.
Old 10-25-16, 09:35 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blended in 3.5 gallons of E85 tonight and topped off with 93. Did some WOT pulls in 6th and 8th gear to get the KCLV values up - not sure where they're at currently as I don't have tech stream. Car feels like it has some extra grunt in the seat of the pants. Came home, and reset the ECU and went out for a quick drive 20 minutes ago and there definitely is a difference! Car pulls HARD out of the hole and even walked a cammed fox body Mustang on my drive home
Old 10-25-16, 09:41 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had an in-depth look at our fuel system? Here's an example from evolutionm, the OP has used E85 for 3 years straight, 50k+ miles and the factory fuel system looks spotless. This, along with everyone else's feedback makes me feel reassured that we should be OK and we could be on the dawn of a new chapter of ISF tuning. I smell an E85 tune as a strong potential, *hint hint*, Rafi

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85...years-e85.html
Old 10-25-16, 09:49 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Sameer89
Blended in 3.5 gallons of E85 tonight and topped off with 93. Did some WOT pulls in 6th and 8th gear to get the KCLV values up - not sure where they're at currently as I don't have tech stream. Car feels like it has some extra grunt in the seat of the pants. Came home, and reset the ECU and went out for a quick drive 20 minutes ago and there definitely is a difference! Car pulls HARD out of the hole and even walked a cammed fox body Mustang on my drive home
That's the results I like to hear! And quite frankly not surprised at all as I've had the same results for the last 5 months and I'm not going to stop in the near future, probably an E85er for life now!

Has anyone had an in-depth look at our fuel system? Here's an example from evolutionm, the OP has used E85 for 3 years straight, 50k+ miles and the factory fuel system looks spotless. This, along with everyone else's feedback makes me feel reassured that we should be OK and we could be on the dawn of a new chapter of ISF tuning. I smell an E85 tune as a strong potential, *hint hint*, Rafi

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85...years-e85.html
This echos my research and honestly like I said the only concern would be running out of fuel injector/pump maybe with full 100% E85 but that's it! The ethanol is a cleaner and keep the engine clean and spotless, who could ask for more??

Rafi did say he ran out of fuel with the S/C set-up, but he didn't go into details on how much boost the car was running when he finally hit the max duty cycle or max on the fuel pump? Was it 8,9,10lbs of boost? Nobody knows at this point, what he did say is that he will be working on an injector upgrade (all 16 of them) this winter and hopefully that will allow more boost and/or E85@ 100% possibly??

Your right good times to be an F owner!
Old 10-26-16, 04:30 AM
AA80E
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember there is a limit to how much you can blend E85 into the ISF as the short/long term trims will max out and cause a CEL.
I would have thought this car, whilst could benefit from a touch more octane than pump in some scenarios, would not benefit more than a E20 mix (with a 93oct base) - remember the ISF is still N/A.
I've ordered a techstream cable and will try various mixes and see its effects on KCLV and actual full load timings.
Old 10-26-16, 05:20 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

had A VERY similar experience yesterday(with immediate ECU reset).
i was luckily empty so added 4 gallons E85 then topped off with 93. Did the ECU reset before starting the car. Drove off and immediately did low (sub 3 k 8th gear) and high (3k to redline 4th) and BINGO.
car pulls HARD out of the hole and engine revs with an alacrity that I frankly haven't ever seen before.
Im IHET and THIS IS my fueling option from now on. Was using octane booster, this KILLS THAT BY A MILE, and is cheaper to boot!

NOT A subtle, very noticeable immeadiatly after pulls 5 total.
doesnt hurt I can fill up a block from my house
Old 10-26-16, 07:39 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AA80E
Remember there is a limit to how much you can blend E85 into the ISF as the short/long term trims will max out and cause a CEL.
I would have thought this car, whilst could benefit from a touch more octane than pump in some scenarios, would not benefit more than a E20 mix (with a 93oct base) - remember the ISF is still N/A.
I've ordered a techstream cable and will try various mixes and see its effects on KCLV and actual full load timings.
Correct there is a limit before the CEL is tripped, my guess it would be around E65 before that happens? From some of the research I was doing and studies done on non- flex fuel vehicles with higher ethanol blends, the Toyotas they tested got to E65 before a CEL was thrown. So I think we're ok with the E30-35 as I would've already thrown a code by now. And your right we're N/A, but with our high compression ratio and especially those that are tuned (more aggressive timing tables etc....) higher octane definitely helps the car out as being evidenced by people who are trying the splash blending laid forth in this thread

Originally Posted by IredSF
had A VERY similar experience yesterday(with immediate ECU reset).
i was luckily empty so added 4 gallons E85 then topped off with 93. Did the ECU reset before starting the car. Drove off and immediately did low (sub 3 k 8th gear) and high (3k to redline 4th) and BINGO.
car pulls HARD out of the hole and engine revs with an alacrity that I frankly haven't ever seen before.
Im IHET and THIS IS my fueling option from now on.
Was using octane booster, this KILLS THAT BY A MILE, and is cheaper to boot!

NOT A subtle, very noticeable immeadiatly after pulls 5 total.
doesnt hurt I can fill up a block from my house
Glad you like the results! If people will give E85 a chance they will be shocked in how the car responds
Old 10-26-16, 08:00 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dcguy
Im sure it helped somehow. The car has alot of knock when the intake temps are high. 90+ And i know in texas... its hot lol. The added octane should keep your values up just a hair in accelerated temps.

I logged a 140 IAT sunday at the track here in Florida. my traps and et definitely showed timing being pulled. This is good to know.
Old 10-26-16, 08:01 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

I also like that so many owners here and using and no one cared to share much besides JuanMedina's thread last year. Pass that ish peeps!!!
Old 10-26-16, 08:18 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^^^^^^^^Yea I remember reading Juan Medina's thread last year but had barely gotten my car last year and was still learning about the car so didn't think much about it. But your right didn't seem like anyone in the community if they were blending didn't share about their experience?

I have been doing this since July, I wanted to test this for a while before I made a specific thread about blending E85 so my results weren't premature. But when Idoke asked the question to start this thread I figured now was the time to jump in and share my experience and knowledge about this subject.

The E85 should act as a crutch/Bandaid for your next track session when your seeing temps in the 140's when your staging!
Old 10-26-16, 09:14 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^^^^^^^Yea I remember reading Juan Medina's thread last year but had barely gotten my car last year and was still learning about the car so didn't think much about it. But your right didn't seem like anyone in the community if they were blending didn't share about their experience?

I have been doing this since July, I wanted to test this for a while before I made a specific thread about blending E85 so my results weren't premature. But when Idoke asked the question to start this thread I figured now was the time to jump in and share my experience and knowledge about this subject.

The E85 should act as a crutch/Bandaid for your next track session when your seeing temps in the 140's when your staging!

In that thread, Mr Slay had ran into issues with his mix. i think that can help answer questions of how much e85 is safe to add until the car starts getting angry.
Old 10-26-16, 09:15 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Been lurking this thread for a few days, plunge taken!
Attached Thumbnails Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?-photo184.jpg  
Old 10-26-16, 10:16 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Threw in 3.5 gallon yesterday and it does feel better. Seems to accelerate more smoothly and quicker down low but I don't have a tech stream cable so not sure what's happening. I'm fbo but the smell isn't as bad with the blend?
Old 10-26-16, 10:53 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joker4096
In that thread, Mr Slay had ran into issues with his mix. i think that can help answer questions of how much e85 is safe to add until the car starts getting angry.
Good to know, maybe I'll hit him up and get his opinon

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Been lurking this thread for a few days, plunge taken!
Awesome!! Report back with results, pretty sure your going to love it! Gotta love that pic with the octane rating

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Threw in 3.5 gallon yesterday and it does feel better. Seems to accelerate more smoothly and quicker down low but I don't have a tech stream cable so not sure what's happening. I'm fbo but the smell isn't as bad with the blend?
You right the smell isn't as bad I assume as if your running straight petrol, the leaning out affect probably affects the smell for the better?

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?