IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 06:58 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Haha.....^^^^ that's cool! Needless to say I've enjoyed my car a lot more with the blending the last 4 months! You'll be hooked and never go back to straight gasoline, I mean why would you!?
Old 10-29-16, 07:47 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Has anyone actually logged the a/f ratios before and after to see if its actually running safe or is everyone just going by feel and knock levels?

Not sure if this helps but ive logged cali 91 pump gas to 93 octane and it looks like the a/fs were leaner and made more power on 93, but still on the rich side as noted I was told these motors like to run rich by Rafi. I didnt think to try e85 blend at the time, but now I know what to bring on the next dyno. Not sure if this helps, but here is a pic of the af logged between 91/93 octane fbo with RR tune, wish I had more time to get thorough logs, it was a quick drive thru and load on dyno and 3-5 pulls per mod, it is saved in the datbase however so I could always compare them at a later date.

I used to run full e85 on my prior car, and few symptons were: fuel pump failing prematurely leaving me stranded, cold start issues that tuning partially corrected, and fuel level sender corroded prematurely causing the fuel gauge to read empty all the time, but the results were well worth it as I've gained quite a few ponies and the cooling effect e85 has. I know this is a partial blend, but I am really anxious to try this out, but I'd like to log more data than just feel and knock correction values as things can get costly long term-wise.

Sorry about the nasty picture, I had to tell the tuner to send me a photo because I was in a rush and forgot to bring it with me.
Old 10-30-16, 12:14 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I mixed in 3 gallons of E85 and 93 octane for the rest. Car feels great - slightly better throttle response and my traction control light is flashing a lot more than normal in first and second gear. The difference this far has been noticeable, but not dramatic. I did not reset the ecu.

Ran into a modded GTR on the drive back from the gas station - and got beat. I was undewheled with the GTR highway performance - I thought he would blow me away, it was kinda even through 3rd gear and he started to walk away midway through 4th before we shut it down. Maybe he is not running great or maybe it's the E85!
Vervish where u getting the E85. I know of only 2 places that has it one in elizabeth and the other in east orange.
Old 10-30-16, 05:02 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Gulf station at Newark airport - they have been carrying E85 for a few years.. Attendant is pretty cool - lets you pump your own mix. I made a lot of trips to the east orange station when I had my E85 suby.
Old 10-30-16, 07:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

^^^^Yep, NJ still the only state, AFIAK, that has a law prohibiting a customer pumping his own gas.

Lou
Old 10-30-16, 07:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gulf station at Newark airport - they have been carrying E85 for a few years.. Attendant is pretty cool - lets you pump your own mix. I made a lot of trips to the east orange station when I had my E85 suby.

ok those are the same places i know of. how much was it at the newark airport?
Old 10-30-16, 08:15 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I just blended again today. It feels really good, maybe the tune is able to be more aggressive with it
Old 10-30-16, 08:37 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

It is more aggressive with my tune and logs according to Rafi @ 5,280+..........assuming it's taking advantage of the octane at sea level also?
Old 10-31-16, 09:29 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Has anyone actually logged the a/f ratios before and after to see if its actually running safe or is everyone just going by feel and knock levels?
Here is a before and after comparison of AFR measurements. Note this is in Lambda so it accounts for the differences in the fuels (Ethanol runs a much lower AFR than gasoline). Stoich is always 1.0 regardless of whether you are running straight gasoline or 100% E85. One caveat is our sensor is not a true wideband so it will only read in a window around 1.0. From the data i have logged, 0.822 is the lowest it will read and 1.22 is the highest so we really can't measure it completely. With regular 93 it bottoms out at 0.822 (see flat line on chart). Based on dynos using widebands, I expect it goes as low as 0.76 which is very rich. Many tuners target 0.850 to 0.920 lambda for safe power on NA engines (WOT). With DI, these numbers can go even higher.

Bottom line is the E30 mix makes a considerable impact on leaning out AFRs at WOT. This *should* help create more power. The concern would be creating knock at these leaner ratios, but the added protection the E30 brings should prevent this. The IATs were almost identical on these two runs (starting at 108 and dropping to 97 during the pull). Car is FBO with tuned intake. Only difference is the pulls is E30 vs. 93.

Last edited by Meanstreak; 10-31-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 09:55 AM
Vervish
Racer

Good data right there - can you log MAF voltage (or g/sec) on the F? I would be curious to see if there is an increase on E30.
Old 10-31-16, 10:08 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Good data right there - can you log MAF voltage (or g/sec) on the F? I would be curious to see if there is an increase on E30.
Yes - I have that too but my spreadsheet just crashed . I am seeing about a 3-4% increase in MAF readings with same IAT which should correlate to more power.
Old 10-31-16, 10:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Yep, NJ still the only state, AFIAK, that has a law prohibiting a customer pumping his own gas.

Lou
Oregon finally stopped this silly practice too? I had to force the attendant to put premium in my IS350 because he was convinced I didn't need it. Good thing we have the sticker in the gas door...

BTW, I've never seen E85 at a track before. Anyone else seen it? I would hate to do something like this and have to bring fuel for an entire weekend instead of buy it at the track.
Old 10-31-16, 11:09 AM
Vervish
Racer

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Yes - I have that too but my spreadsheet just crashed . I am seeing about a 3-4% increase in MAF readings with same IAT which should correlate to more power.
Nice - that is a pretty great result for a relatively simple fuel mix!
Old 10-31-16, 11:19 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Oregon finally stopped this silly practice too? I had to force the attendant to put premium in my IS350 because he was convinced I didn't need it. Good thing we have the sticker in the gas door...

BTW, I've never seen E85 at a track before. Anyone else seen it? I would hate to do something like this and have to bring fuel for an entire weekend instead of buy it at the track.
I think racetracks have partnerships with fuel suppliers like VP or Sunoco, so I wonder if they would shy away from E85 at track since it might cut into their race gas margins. One good thing about E85, you can most likely find it at a reasonable price on the way to the track as opposed to 100+ octane. For something like an enduro race, you usually bring your own fuel anyway.
Old 10-31-16, 11:52 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

With the blend being only 4.5gals E85 per tank you could bring your own and mix when you refill. Plan C would be go back to regular 93. Just lose a little power - nothing a driver mod wouldn't make up for

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?