IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Issue 7-8 gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 02:14 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
The 3.4 swap does not include a filter, I just got mine back from its 4th attempt at finally getting the level right and they nailed it, 100% better than its ever been (bell Lexus Scottsdale). Mine was jerking in and out of every gear and felt like crap in general, tech said he had to keep temp at EXACTLY 113 to get it right. Now it's butter smooth in all modes.
Damn, I need to take mine up there! Last time I was at Lexus of Chandler getting some other stuff done, I told my service rep I wanted to get my trans fluid replaced and he flat out refused to do it. He said with 80K on the engine it will do more harm than good. I explained that if done properly, and refilled to the correct level, it's impossible that changing the fluid can harm it in any way. Yet, he still said he wouldn't do it, and that it was in my best interest not to mess with it. The fact that he didn't feel confident selling me the service made me not fight it, I figured I'd just find somewhere else that could do it. Guess I'm making a trip up to Bell Lexus!

P.S. Mind if I ask what they charged for the service?
Old 10-31-16, 04:37 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Damn, I need to take mine up there! Last time I was at Lexus of Chandler getting some other stuff done, I told my service rep I wanted to get my trans fluid replaced and he flat out refused to do it. He said with 80K on the engine it will do more harm than good. I explained that if done properly, and refilled to the correct level, it's impossible that changing the fluid can harm it in any way. Yet, he still said he wouldn't do it, and that it was in my best interest not to mess with it. The fact that he didn't feel confident selling me the service made me not fight it, I figured I'd just find somewhere else that could do it. Guess I'm making a trip up to Bell Lexus!

P.S. Mind if I ask what they charged for the service?
If you mean a full flush he might be right, I wouldn't do it either (I'm at 104k) but a 3.4 swap won't do it any harm. They charged me $188, 2 qt of new ATF went in while they were getting the level set correctly. My SA was David and he actually knew what he was talking about with the ATF in the F.
Old 10-31-16, 05:33 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the car started shifting fine and normal near end of last week ( I have not drove it too hard but did not baby it either ) and still seems fine. But today I am set to take it in to get service to trans. and my SA at Lexus tells me that this will include a filter and 3-4 qts of fluid .
Old 11-01-16, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm going back to arrowhead for round three
Old 11-02-16, 10:48 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Update....had trans service done , everything now seems fine ( think it could have just got a bit low on fluid ) SA reports that there was no leaks / fluid was not in bad condition, so I guess our trans is really sensitive to fluid levels , so at least I can sleep a bit better knowing it has been done and a new filter
Old 11-02-16, 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

It is very sensitive to low fluid level. There has been a long discussion about this.
Old 11-02-16, 01:11 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is very sensitive to low fluid level. There has been a long discussion about this.
Meant to reply to your PM, thank you for the advice on this, they said they would have trouble overfilling it but it worked out anyways, you're a huge help Lobux.
Old 11-05-16, 09:02 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the trans fluid changed a few months ago and I noticed the shifts are a lot smoother in daily driving and in traffic. I have a clicking sound when I step on it in manual mode in gears 2-4 is this normal?
Old 11-06-16, 03:54 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by InfamousF
I had the trans fluid changed a few months ago and I noticed the shifts are a lot smoother in daily driving and in traffic. I have a clicking sound when I step on it in manual mode in gears 2-4 is this normal?
i would say no to the clicking sound ...not normal....sounds like you may have a cracked exhaust manifold ( there has been a few people that get this on older higher mile cars ) to me sounds like an excuse to buy headers :-) , gain power and get this ticking sound repaired at the same time....... Win+Win
Old 11-06-16, 08:16 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

2nd for the manifold, you'll hear it at low speeds when you step on it. If it really is your transmission making those noises though then that is not normal.
Old 11-06-16, 10:29 AM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
2nd for the manifold, you'll hear it at low speeds when you step on it. If it really is your transmission making those noises though then that is not normal.
thanks for the reply guys, I just assumed it was the tranny but this is making more sense.. time to save up lol.
Old 11-17-16, 06:21 PM
virulosity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue as well, I had my tranny flushed by the dealer for $400, after a week of driving, it is back
I am thinking maybe its just normal and I'm noticing it more now that I have an exhaust. I wouldnt say the tranny is slipping because it shifts fine in manual mode, its more that it cant decide what gear to be in in automatic. Its always hunting for the right gear because there are 8 of them
Old 11-17-16, 06:30 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by virulosity
I had this issue as well, I had my tranny flushed by the dealer for $400, after a week of driving, it is back
I am thinking maybe its just normal and I'm noticing it more now that I have an exhaust. I wouldnt say the tranny is slipping because it shifts fine in manual mode, its more that it cant decide what gear to be in in automatic. Its always hunting for the right gear because there are 8 of them
Im gonna have to agree with you, I really only noticed it once i had an exhaust as well. And mine has not been acting as perfectly as it was the two weeks after i got it leveled, definitely better than it was but not perfect. Plenty of people have higher mileage than most of us without any issues even with this one being pretty common so Im not gonna worry about it too much until it starts showing more serious symptoms.
Old 11-18-16, 03:53 PM
virulosity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about it on my drive home today, and I suspect what is happening is that the torque converter is locking and unlocking between shifts to keep it smooth and that is the "slip" between gears. I think its more pronounced on 7-8 because the gearing is so tall that the rpm difference between gears is small and the slippage is more noticeable as a percentage of the rpm. In manual mode you can notice it on the 1-2 shift compared to the 2-3 shift since the torque converter locks and unlocks.