IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 01:39 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, okay. I was confused by the partial timeslips. I assumed that both were related to the before/after comparison.

OP, before declaring debunk, let's see a copy of your timeslip with the stock setup.
Old 11-21-16, 01:45 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
This was using the track elevation of 19 feet above sea level
I run at Bradenton Motorsports from time to time. It's not going to make a big difference in your DA calculations, but the track elevation is actually 59.1 feet above sea level.

Great runs though! I didn't know the IS F could run that quickly. 1.9 60'? Is that on stock tires? That's part of the reason why your times are so good. If you are on stock tires then I'm impressed. Even in the RC F it's hard to cut 1.9 60's on the stock tires and they are wider and the car is heavier.
Old 11-21-16, 03:55 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, the 1.9s are REALLY good. I ran 12.6 @114 with Joe Z exhaust but I could barely break 2.1 to 60. If I could get down to 1.9 I'd probably be running 12.2-12.3!
Old 11-21-16, 03:57 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
So you ran a 12.79 in Auto mode with the stock intake vs. a 12.56 in Manual mode with the K& N?

My F picked up .48 sec manual vs auto. back to back. No change to the intake.

Something else must've been going on--hard to believe you can pick up 0.5s in manual. I had many runs and manual and auto were VERY close each time. Did you not have sport mode on when you ran in auto or something?
Old 11-21-16, 05:16 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Auto w/sport mode. But only on my first 2 runs (ever) with the car.

Manually shifting made the car so much quicker I never ran in auto again.
Old 11-21-16, 05:51 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you ran a 12.79 in Auto mode with the stock intake vs. a 12.56 in Manual mode with the K& N?

My F picked up .48 sec manual vs auto. back to back. No change to the intake.

I do not see how you could drop a half second auto vs. manual mode.

So far all my best times have been full auto / Sport mode / traction control disabled, foot brake to 1,900 rpm's.
Old 11-21-16, 05:53 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Oh, okay. I was confused by the partial timeslips. I assumed that both were related to the before/after comparison.

OP, before declaring debunk, let's see a copy of your timeslip with the stock setup.

I already posted them in a previous thread. The one posted in this thread were new bests yesterday in the two different modes.
Old 11-21-16, 05:57 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Davew77
I run at Bradenton Motorsports from time to time. It's not going to make a big difference in your DA calculations, but the track elevation is actually 59.1 feet above sea level.

Great runs though! I didn't know the IS F could run that quickly. 1.9 60'? Is that on stock tires? That's part of the reason why your times are so good. If you are on stock tires then I'm impressed. Even in the RC F it's hard to cut 1.9 60's on the stock tires and they are wider and the car is heavier.

According to the county info I found for BMP it says 19.1, but yeah the awesome weather doesn't make a big a difference as most would think. Now on a forced induction car, heck yes.

Thanks, I am surprised too on the 60 ft times as well, a few more runs yesterday I bet I could have got a 1.89. Stock tires that are about 3/4 worn out, actually getting two new rears late this week. Anything made up in the 60ft times is doubled on the big end. My race car has always been this way. When I got down to a 1.31 60 ft' times from 1.4's I dropped two tenths on the big end.
Old 11-21-16, 06:06 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Auto w/sport mode. But only on my first 2 runs (ever) with the car.

Manually shifting made the car so much quicker I never ran in auto again.

I thought the same thing too for manual mode but I have now made seven hits at the track and the new best time has been on auto mode each trip. Unless my tach is off a few hundred and I am shifting beyond the peak power I do not get it either. However if you look at the slips I posted, the manual mode was slightly slower et but faster mph. This is because in auto mode the car shifts one more time at the 1,000 ft box on the track where as manual mode you can carry that gear all the way through.
Old 11-21-16, 06:07 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Video of 12.56 new best run.

Old 11-21-16, 06:08 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

According to the county info I found for BMP it says 19.1, but yeah the awesome weather doesn't make a big a difference as most would think. Now on a forced induction car, heck yes.

Thanks, I am surprised too on the 60 ft times as well, a few more runs yesterday I bet I could have got a 1.89. Stock tires that are about 3/4 worn out, actually getting two new rears late this week. Anything made up in the 60ft times is doubled on the big end. My race car has always been this way. When I got down to a 1.31 60 ft' times from 1.4's I dropped two tenths on the big end.
Like I said, it's not a big deal. But here's the page you get to directly from the motorsports website, for future reference:

http://airdensityonline.com/track-fo...orsports_Park/

Yup, I've always found that .1 off of the 60' was .2 off of the ET. I've been into drag racing since the mid 90's, but I've never had an actual race car. My buddy had a 89 5.0 Mustang much like the one you mentioned in your OP. I was always into the Camaro myself. Especially when it got the LS1. I dragged it religiously at Gateway International near St. Louis. I haven't been able to get my RC F to the track yet. But I'll have to learn how to launch it. All of my previous cars had a manual tranny. This will be my first auto...
Old 11-21-16, 06:14 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Like I said, it's not a big deal. But here's the page you get to directly from the motorsports website, for future reference:

http://airdensityonline.com/track-fo...orsports_Park/

Yup, I've always found that .1 off of the 60' was .2 off of the ET. I've been into drag racing since the mid 90's, but I've never had an actual race car. My buddy had a 89 5.0 Mustang much like the one you mentioned in your OP. I was always into the Camaro myself. Especially when it got the LS1. I dragged it religiously at Gateway International near St. Louis. I haven't been able to get my RC F to the track yet. But I'll have to learn how to launch it. All of my previous cars had a manual tranny. This will be my first auto...

Cool thanks on the altitude. I just plugged it in to the software on my runs and it made a .007 difference. lol

Here is my Mustang that I have had since new ( 1990 ). This is a 1.31 60 ft in this video with mostly stock suspension but a lot of fine tuning.

Old 11-21-16, 06:26 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

It sounds awesome. I'll have to wait until I get off of work to watch the video though. The firewall here blocks Youtube.

But at 1.31 60' I'm fairly certain you're running slicks. If I had to guess I'd say Mickey Thompsons? Just a wild guess...

That beats anything I ever did for a 60'. My racing was more to see how mods effected my car. But I kept it street legal. I never ran slicks. I just went to test and tune night every week.
Old 11-21-16, 06:35 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

It sounds awesome. I'll have to wait until I get off of work to watch the video though. The firewall here blocks Youtube.

But at 1.31 60' I'm fairly certain you're running slicks. If I had to guess I'd say Mickey Thompsons? Just a wild guess...

That beats anything I ever did for a 60'. My racing was more to see how mods effected my car. But I kept it street legal. I never ran slicks. I just went to test and tune night every week.
No slicks, M/T Drag radials full interior, driven to the track, tagged and insured. 👍🏻

Its been a fun fun ride with it over the years with a few different set ups.
Old 11-21-16, 06:42 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

No slicks, M/T Drag radials full interior, driven to the track, tagged and insured. 👍🏻

Its been a fun fun ride with it over the years with a few different set ups.
Well, at least I was half right! Still some nice times though. As I said, I'm impressed with the 60' times on your IS F. I was consistently cutting 1.8's with my Camaro on street tires. But those tires had sidewall and were more attuned to drag racing.

I'm hoping to cut 1.9's with my RC F. I believe that I could with it stock. The only problem is it will no longer be stock when I finally get the chance to try. I'm too busy with work right now. Work > Play.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !