IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 06:49 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Well, at least I was half right! Still some nice times though. As I said, I'm impressed with the 60' times on your IS F. I was consistently cutting 1.8's with my Camaro on street tires. But those tires had sidewall and were more attuned to drag racing.

I'm hoping to cut 1.9's with my RC F. I believe that I could with it stock. The only problem is it will no longer be stock when I finally get the chance to try. I'm too busy with work right now. Work > Play.
I stage it as shallow as possible to help with the 60ft.. I would like to go on a night when the lines are low so I can play with different launch rpm and play with full manual mode because I can't understand why my best times are in auto mode when the car no doubt feels quicker on the street in manual mode. Has to be the shift points.
Old 11-21-16, 06:56 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't help ya there. I only know a little bit about my RC F and really nothing about the IS F. From what I read about the RC F the times between auto and manual mode appear to be pretty similar. But manual mode wins by a hair. In both runs the car was launched in manual mode. They switched to auto mode after 2nd gear.

That's based on something I read in a thread on here somewhere. I don't have any personal experience as of yet. I also don't know how much is shared between the IS F and the RC F. I know the engine block is the same, but they have different internals and different rev limits.
Old 11-21-16, 07:06 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

I can't help ya there. I only know a little bit about my RC F and really nothing about the IS F. From what I read about the RC F the times between auto and manual mode appear to be pretty similar. But manual mode wins by a hair. In both runs the car was launched in manual mode. They switched to auto mode after 2nd gear.

That's based on something I read in a thread on here somewhere. I don't have any personal experience as of yet. I also don't know how much is shared between the IS F and the RC F. I know the engine block is the same, but they have different internals and different rev limits.

My understanding is the converter is in full lock up in manual mode in my car and can not imagine it is different in your car. I have thought about launching in manual and then moving it over to auto but not sure if this will screw with any of the mapping that changes in the two modes and slow the car up. Ideal would be launch in manual, move over to auto, and then back to manual so you can ride 5th out instead of it shifting to sixth at the 1000ft box which is what happens in auto mode and has to cost a little bit of et..
Old 11-21-16, 07:11 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

The converter doesnt fully lock on 1st gear due the the ecu safety parameters I believe.
Old 11-21-16, 07:13 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
My understanding is the converter is in full lock up in manual mode in my car and can not imagine it is different in your car. I have thought about launching in manual and then moving it over to auto but not sure if this will screw with any of the mapping that changes in the two modes and slow the car up. Ideal would be launch in manual, move over to auto, and then back to manual so you can ride 5th out instead of it shifting to sixth at the 1000ft box which is what happens in auto mode and has to cost a little bit of et..
We clearly have different transmissions then. My 4th gear rides out to like 125 mph.
Old 11-21-16, 07:21 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
The converter doesnt fully lock on 1st gear due the the ecu safety parameters I believe.

You are right no 1st gear lockup, damn ECU. lol
Old 11-21-16, 07:23 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

We clearly have different transmissions then. My 4th gear rides out to like 125 mph.

It is 4th gear not 5th. Fat fingered it. lol Lexus spent a lot of time on this trans to be able to call it the fastest shifting auto in a street car so I would think they would still be using it.
Old 11-21-16, 07:41 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Okay, I thought you might have made an error. I've never owned a sports car that needed 5th gear before 115 mph.

I believe my transmission doesn't lock the converter until 2nd gear as well. I also have 8 gears, just to see if we may have the same tranny.
Old 11-22-16, 08:15 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Okay, I thought you might have made an error. I've never owned a sports car that needed 5th gear before 115 mph.

I believe my transmission doesn't lock the converter until 2nd gear as well. I also have 8 gears, just to see if we may have the same tranny.
I'm pretty certain the same transmission is used from the IS-F to the RC-F and GS-F.
Old 11-22-16, 12:56 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I'm pretty certain the same transmission is used from the IS-F to the RC-F and GS-F.

I would hope so, its a great trans !
Old 11-22-16, 12:56 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The RCF's transmission has the same gear ratios as the ISF's.

The RCF's taller tires & higher redline allow it to go faster in 4th.
Old 11-22-16, 01:30 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Cool thanks on the altitude. I just plugged it in to the software on my runs and it made a .007 difference. lol

Here is my Mustang that I have had since new ( 1990 ). This is a 1.31 60 ft in this video with mostly stock suspension but a lot of fine tuning.
Nice run.

It's good to know that the tranny is the same. I plan to boost at some point so it will be helpful that the IS F has been using it since 2008.
Old 11-23-16, 05:22 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Man you got smoked by that Mustang.
Old 11-23-16, 02:09 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Using density altitude adjustments from yesterday and the runs before when it was warmer it would have made my previous stock best of 12.82 drop to a 12.79 using yesterdays weather. This was using the track elevation of 19 feet above sea level, air temp of 65 degrees from yesterday, barometric pressure of 30.25, and 21% humidity to give me a DA of 698 feet or 98.73% air density. Very good conditions for sure but in a mostly stock car the ideal weather was only worth .03 ( three one hundredths ) of a second. The more mods or power you have the greater the increase from the good weather yesterday.
I'm confused - 65F, 30.25" and 21%RH is actually 99 feet DA at Bradenton. Also looks like DA on your baseline run was ~1700' That's certainly going to make make more than .03s difference. More like 3 tenths. I posted more detail on the other thread just trying to make sure I understand how you are calculating DA.

And BTW - I drag raced for many years starting in the early 90's - IHRA Top Sportsman class. I used DA religiously to dial my car.
Old 11-23-16, 08:41 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I'm confused - 65F, 30.25" and 21%RH is actually 99 feet DA at Bradenton. Also looks like DA on your baseline run was ~1700' That's certainly going to make make more than .03s difference. More like 3 tenths. I posted more detail on the other thread just trying to make sure I understand how you are calculating DA.

And BTW - I drag raced for many years starting in the early 90's - IHRA Top Sportsman class. I used DA religiously to dial my car.
Good to see another racer here !

The numbers I used were taken at the track both times from
a bracket racer I kind of know. I did punch in the wrong weather for that run so thanks. My last run around 3:00 was 70.1 , 30.02, and 25, I need to correct that, thanks . I put the early weather with a manual mode run that I left from idle and it was a high 12.6. My spread from
my first stock runs to my recent ones was never more than 500. My baselines were no where near 1700 ft as I went late in the evening when it had cooled off. A 500 spread is equal to roughly .10 on a good day on a non forced induction or high powered car as you know. Correct me if my math is off but I checked it a few different ways.

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-23-16 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !