IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 11:40 AM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !

So here it is after much conjecture in the other long thread discussion about this and how the car will de-tune itself over a few hundred or more miles after the install. Well here is some more real world data, not seat of the pant or what someone's brother's best friend reported, to debunk there is only one cold air kit that works or the stock box is better, that simply is not the case. i can not speak for the other intake everyone mentions ( JoeZ ) because I did not try it. But I can say the K&N does not slow down after the initial install as claimed over and over.

So to nip this in the bud I get nothing from K&N for this, my brother got me the kit for free and I was the test mule for an article he sold to Sport Compact Magazine. If my car would have slowed down or made less power I would have taken this off and sold it on Ebay, looks like that won't be necessary.

Now that we have that out of the way, on with the data.

Using density altitude correcting software and yesterdays weather at the exact time I ran via some hard core drag race friends at the track here is what was arrived at, as well as running my previous stock runs through the same data.:

Below you will see my new personal bests with notes at the top while at the track, the best et's were once again with letting the trans shift itself, foot braking to 1,900-2,000 rpm;s, sport mode on, and traction control fully disabled. This is how my best time was achieved while making completely stock runs exactly a month before.

Yesterday you will see my new best with the K&N Typhoon intake on and over 1,000 miles since the install since so many said the car would re-calibrate after a few hundred miles or more. This was the first run after driving there 50 miles and it was also the best. This was at the same regular engine temp as before, no ice on the intake or anything to help it be cooler than just driving around. I went from a 12.82 @ 111.09 to 12.56 @113.00 with the new intake ! My 60 ft. time almost got in the 1.8's !

Using density altitude adjustments from yesterday and the runs before when it was warmer it would have made my previous stock best of 12.82 drop to a 12.79 using yesterdays weather. This was using the track elevation of 19 feet above sea level, air temp of 65 degrees from yesterday, barometric pressure of 30.25, and 21% humidity to give me a DA of 698 feet or 98.73% air density. Very good conditions for sure but in a mostly stock car the ideal weather was only worth .03 ( three one hundredths ) of a second. The more mods or power you have the greater the increase from the good weather yesterday.

Therefore take my previous stock best of 12.82 in warmer and less dense air at 75 degrees and correct it to 12.79 using yesterdays weather. Now take that 12.79 corrected density altitude bone stock run from a month ago and yesterday's cold air intake run of 12.56 and you get a .23 faster time ! Over two tenth quicker with the K&N intake weather corrected and absolutely everything else the same ( same engine temp,same heat soak time on motor, same gas and level from Shell, etc.).

I have owned a lot of fast cars my other one is much faster than my ISF but over the last twenty five years of modding cars I have never had a simple cold air intake drop over two tenths, I was the biggest doubter when my brother sent me the intake trust me.

Hopefully this puts this all to bed now as all of the other posts I have read here as well as on other sites had little to no data to back up the claims that the stock box or only one other brand after market intake is better. I did not have time to go re-dyno the car but might tomorrow, I will post that too when I do.But obviously the increase of power we found on the dyno after the install was and has stayed true.

Now you know if you want to go a little faster and sound a heck of a lot better here is a good option. Next I am going to be wrapping a heat deflecting material on the intake tube that I found at the SEMA show earlier this month and see if this keeps the charge air temp down more and add a little more power.

Happy motoring and know your stock ISF with just this cold air package and good air can run mid 12's ! My 1990 5.0 Mustang with different gears, pulleys, a 125 dry shot of nitrous, 5-speed, and drag tires ran 12.59 @ 109 in 1990, that was hauling ***** back then but still needed all those mods to get to what my ISF runs now, amazing.

Post K&N cold air intake after 1,040 miles.

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-21-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 11:47 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice, did you ever get a re-dyno after driving around?
Old 11-21-16, 11:52 AM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Very nice, did you ever get a re-dyno after driving around?

Thanks ! Going back tomorrow, work and kids have been busy. The air will be better than when we dynoed it the first time so we will make adjustments accordingly with the data to try and keep it as close a comparison as possible.
Old 11-21-16, 11:54 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Cool, I almost made it out to Runday Sunday but it was so busy last time I didn't want to wait an hour and a half between runs. How busy was it this time?
Old 11-21-16, 12:02 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Cool, I almost made it out to Runday Sunday but it was so busy last time I didn't want to wait an hour and a half between runs. How busy was it this time?

Was pretty busy but lots of breakage and down time. Luckily the track manager is a friend so he let me run in the much shorter pro tree lanes. lol
Old 11-21-16, 12:06 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is JoeZ a long time well known member of the community.

Anyhow will be looking forward to your dyno! looking to see if this is really debunked or not. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-21-16, 12:09 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Justin727
It is JoeZ a long time well known member of the community.

Anyhow will be looking forward to your dyno! looking to see if this is really debunked or not. Thanks for the update.

JoeZ ok thanks, I will update my original post here.

The time slips are proof that the post intake install dyno numbers were spot on and increasedperformance. My additional dyno tomorrow will just be to see if it adjusted itself a little
Old 11-21-16, 12:11 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
Was pretty busy but lots of breakage and down time. Luckily the track manager is a friend so he let me run in the much shorter pro tree lanes. lol
I'm going to have to get with you next time you go, or we can set sometime up in the future. That would be nice if i can get in those lanes also. lol F's have to stick together man.
Old 11-21-16, 12:13 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity, how accurate is the density altitude correcting software? The temperatures and humidity in Florida had dropped significantly over the weekend in comparison to the hot and muggy weather a month prior.

I'm not necessarily doubting the effect of the K&N addition but I'm just wondering how much of an impact cold dense air can have over hot humid air on the same drag strip.
Old 11-21-16, 12:20 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
Out of curiosity, how accurate is the density altitude correcting software? The temperatures and humidity in Florida had dropped significantly over the weekend in comparison to the hot and muggy weather a month prior.

I'm not necessarily doubting the effect of the K&N addition but I'm just wondering how much of an impact cold dense air can have over hot humid air on the same drag strip.
Its very accurate, bracket racer guys use it to dials tenths out of their times.

The data was collected from hard core drag race friends of mine that were there. The altitude was something I already knew from years of going there. There are also websites out there that keep this data, usually kind find them through a local small airport close by to about any track.

That was my point in my first post here, even with the very good weather yesterday the benefit on my car was .03 ( three hundredths ) more or less. When I went on my base line runs on October 20th we had just had a smaller cold front come through so the weather was not to far off from yesterday. The biggest difference was the better barometric pressure. The weather alone was not worth the almost .3 ( three tenths ) I dropped yesterday by any stretch. You only get that kind of a drop from the weather on forced induction cars or other set ups making a ton of power. I use to get about a tenth to a tenth and a half on my turbo blow through Mustang running 18 lbs of boost when the weather was like yesterday.
Old 11-21-16, 12:31 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it. Thanks for the edumacation!
Old 11-21-16, 12:46 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

I'm going to have to get with you next time you go, or we can set sometime up in the future. That would be nice if i can get in those lanes also. lol F's have to stick together man.

Sounds good man. lol
Old 11-21-16, 12:48 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
Got it. Thanks for the edumacation!

Lol you got it. Believe me it has taken me many years of racing there or covering events to edumacate myself on all of this. And by no way am I a expert at it like some of my friends.
Old 11-21-16, 01:21 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

So you ran a 12.79 in Auto mode with the stock intake vs. a 12.56 in Manual mode with the K& N?

My F picked up .48 sec manual vs auto. back to back. No change to the intake.
Old 11-21-16, 01:24 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by tas02
So you ran a 12.79 in Auto mode with the stock intake vs. a 12.56 in Manual mode with the K& N?

My F picked up .48 sec manual vs auto. back to back. No change to the intake.
His 12.56 was in auto mode.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake Follow Up Runs ! Myth debunked !