IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu HC800 pads too big to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 03:18 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
Unhappy Project Mu HC800 pads too big to fit?

Name:  A67D533D-87D2-4EE2-884A-EE716A166AE9_zpsvyjolj9k.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  192.0 KB

Hi Guys, so I bought a set of Project Mu HC800 from speedfreaks for my ISF.

I had a lot of difficulty installing the front pads.

It was as if the pads were too wide from the top and bottom and they hit the top and bottom of the caliper when I try and install them.

I would of had to use a lot of force to install them so I didn't.

Instead I took them to the dealers and asked them to install the pads along with changing the brake fluid.

I figured maybe I couldn't push back the pistons enough to get them on.

So the dealers called me back today and they too had the same problem, the front pads are too big to fit in the caliper body.

The rears went in alright but the fronts are a big problem for me at the moment.

I have the Figs 2-piece rotors on the front for nearly 6 months now, could this be the reason why the pads seem to be too big to fit?

Would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me who is running these pads.

This is the order I made from Speedfreaks: Project Mu HC+800 Lexus IS-F Front & Rear Package , Special(PH8F160/PH8R106)

Last edited by Defratos; 12-01-16 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 06:59 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm on my second set of HC+800 and never a problem with the fit and I doubt that it has anything to do with your rotors either, however, there might be residue leftovers on the side of the calipers where the brake slides in, make sure to clean it with a break cleaner so there is no obstruction when it goes in.
Old 12-01-16, 08:39 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

I have them with figs 2pc rotors. No issues.
Old 12-01-16, 09:01 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I could have sworn I read someone having a similar issue with their pads. At this point, I can't remember if it was this exact model or different. I been trying to search for the thread but can't come across it. I'm sure you double checked the pads are the right fit for the IS F? Correct? I accidentally received the wrong pads I paid for, not from the same vendor you purchased from.
Old 12-01-16, 10:26 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I am sorry you're having issues with the fitment and hope that we can correct this fairly easily. Just want to clarify here, are you saying the pad's overall thickness is too much to squeeze between the rotor and the pistons? Or are you saying the backing plates are too wide to slide down in the caliper body?

If you are saying they are too thick it could likely be that the Figs 2-piece rotor rings are slightly thicker/wider than the stock rotor. However we have a few customers with Figs' rotors on the IS-F with no real issues. Only one guy let me know the fit was "tight" when the pads were brand new and full thickness but he was able to get them in without too much of a struggle. We had these made to maximize every available bit of friction material on the backplate so there is no room for a thicker rotor. This isn't a hard problem to overcome, you can just sand down the pad material a tiny bit (as in less than 1mm) but it is a little annoying. If its a backing plate issue that is something we need to address on a larger scale so please do let me know.

We will make this right one way or another.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 12-01-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 01:24 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought this pads 2 months ago from the same vendor. I dont have any problems installing it to the stock brembo rotors. I even put back the extra shims to it.
Old 12-02-16, 02:32 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I am sorry you're having issues with the fitment and hope that we can correct this fairly easily. Just want to clarify here, are you saying the pad's overall thickness is too much to squeeze between the rotor and the pistons? Or are you saying the backing plates are too wide to slide down in the caliper body?

If you are saying they are too thick it could likely be that the Figs 2-piece rotor rings are slightly thicker/wider than the stock rotor. However we have a few customers with Figs' rotors on the IS-F with no real issues. Only one guy let me know the fit was "tight" when the pads were brand new and full thickness but he was able to get them in without too much of a struggle. We had these made to maximize every available bit of friction material on the backplate so there is no room for a thicker rotor. This isn't a hard problem to overcome, you can just sand down the pad material a tiny bit (as in less than 1mm) but it is a little annoying. If its a backing plate issue that is something we need to address on a larger scale so please do let me know.

We will make this right one way or another.

-Matt M.
When I tried to install the pads myself the issue I was having was as if the overall thickness is too much to squeeze between the caliper and rotor.

I've had the Figs 2-piece rotors on for around 5 months now with XT910 pads so that should have taken the thickness of the rotors down a bit.

I've installed 3 different pads before these, and didn't have an issue with them.

I believe I do need to clean the caliper much more than I did to help with getting the pads in.

Is it ok to use brake cleaner on Powder Coated Calipers?

Also how can I try and sand down the pads a bit? can I just use some sandpaper? if so what grade would you recommend?

Last edited by Defratos; 12-02-16 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-02-16, 02:40 AM
Defratos
Racer

and can someone confirm from the pics that these are the correct pads for the ISF?
Old 12-02-16, 11:58 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
and can someone confirm from the pics that these are the correct pads for the ISF?
Yes they look like the correct set that I have.
Old 12-04-16, 01:57 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you compress the pistons on the calipers? All 6 need to be compressed down. Make sure your brake fluid doesn't flow out of the reservoir.
Old 12-04-16, 02:22 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Had the exact same problem on another project. The pads would not install.

Finally realized that while it had been a long time since we had to do it, we needed to really compress each piston. Open the brake fluid reservoir, open the bleeder valve on the caliper, use a large C clamp to compress each piston. Should work.

I think you have not compressed the pistons enough. Be sure to clean all surfaces with Brake Kleen to remove every drop of brake fluid. May be a bit messy.
Old 12-04-16, 04:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

I had to take the calipers off, load the pads in them, then put them on the rotors for the HC+800 install. The pistons really need to be 100% compressed to put these pads in.
Old 12-05-16, 01:51 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Originally Posted by lorenr
Had the exact same problem on another project. The pads would not install.

Finally realized that while it had been a long time since we had to do it, we needed to really compress each piston. Open the brake fluid reservoir, open the bleeder valve on the caliper, use a large C clamp to compress each piston. Should work.

I think you have not compressed the pistons enough. Be sure to clean all surfaces with Brake Kleen to remove every drop of brake fluid. May be a bit messy.
So did you completely bleed out the front calipers? or just enough to push back the pistons?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had to take the calipers off, load the pads in them, then put them on the rotors for the HC+800 install. The pistons really need to be 100% compressed to put these pads in.
Yes from what I remember the pistons weren't compressed 100%. I did try to push them back as much but I guess I should have compressed them all the way.

Did you bleed the calipers completely before installing the pads? Or just removed them from the car, pushed back the pistons as much as possible and then installed the pads?

I'll try it out in a few days hopefully and report back on the outcome.

Last edited by Defratos; 12-05-16 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 04:17 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a similar issue when installing these pads with my RR Racing rotors. I was able to get one side in (inside pad), but couldn't squeeze in the outside pad with the shim. I ended up leaving the shim out on the outside, and the pads barely fit. A month or two later, I was able to re-install the shim on the outside pads.

-Mike
Old 12-06-16, 06:20 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Thanks for the feedback guys,

So did you completely bleed out the front calipers? or just enough to push back the pistons?

Yes from what I remember the pistons weren't compressed 100%. I did try to push them back as much but I guess I should have compressed them all the way.

Did you bleed the calipers completely before installing the pads? Or just removed them from the car, pushed back the pistons as much as possible and then installed the pads?

I'll try it out in a few days hopefully and report back on the outcome.
When you're doing a pad change and compress the pistons you're sending the dirtiest fluid which is at the caliper back into the upstream system. It's generally a good idea to crack the valve and get rid of the dirty fluid versus recirculating it.

Quick Reply: Project Mu HC800 pads too big to fit?