IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 04:32 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Borla is the greater magnaflow in my opinion. Similar business concept in making affordable yet functional systems. Which, obviously some of that cost is saved via the slip joint connections.

Those that complain about drone when adding headers have to acknowledge that these systems are designed and tested with the factory manifolds 95% of the time I'd imagine. You are adding a variable so have to account for it in your own way.
Old 01-18-17, 06:12 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by moleb
This has me worried. I was thinking about getting borla exhaust. But if they have welding issues I might go elsewhere. I'll do more research
It's a quality system, but its split into several parts. Any leaks that are "possible" are easily fixed and I am sure customer service could help pay for that. When I had my Invidia catback on my G37, it arrived with a minor issue and the company stepped up to pay for a quick welding fix without issues. However, many people have no had issues with the Borla leaking, simply saying that the connections could allow for that to happen, but it doesn't happen often and even if it does it's easily fixed. This is not similar at all to the exhausts most often sold by ebay that have fitment, connection, and symmetrical issues along with cheap metal used. The Borla looks and sounds like a well designed system although it does have a slight very slight drone when under load without shifting at ~1900-2200 rpm. I hate drone above all, and never stood for it in any of my cars. I always go for the mildest exhausts available while still getting gains and good sound. The drone doesn't bother me too much.
Old 05-02-17, 07:18 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Just an update, here is my Borla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rw2...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-04-24, 03:09 PM
Isfisaiah
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Installing mine this week along with new wheels, cannot wait! Hoping for deeper with no/minimal drone as everyone says.
was it hard for you to install or simple? I’m getting mine tomorrow and was wondering it’s simple to install or I should take it to a muffler shop.
Old 04-05-24, 05:24 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfisaiah
was it hard for you to install or simple? I’m getting mine tomorrow and was wondering it’s simple to install or I should take it to a muffler shop.
It can be done on jack stands fairly easily. It slip fits with clamps. You might want to remove the rear bumper cover for more ease of access, but it's not required.
Old 04-05-24, 11:09 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
It can be done on jack stands fairly easily. It slip fits with clamps. You might want to remove the rear bumper cover for more ease of access, but it's not required.
When I got my Borla system years ago, I just took it to an exhaust shop. They were able to get it on the lift, old system off, new system on and out of there within a couple of hours. I didn't have to fight with old/seized up bolts or o2 sensors lol worth the cost IMO
Old 04-05-24, 01:11 PM
Lushman
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
When I got my Borla system years ago, I just took it to an exhaust shop. They were able to get it on the lift, old system off, new system on and out of there within a couple of hours. I didn't have to fight with old/seized up bolts or o2 sensors lol worth the cost IMO
100% this. When I went to install my own exhaust, I bought the necessary extended socket for the 02 sensor removal (don't start the job without that) and got the car up on jackstands and realized the factory bolts were so rusted and rounded that every step was going to be ugly, rusty/dusty and a fight. So I took it to a shop as well.
Old 04-05-24, 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

If your car has lived in Texas all its life, you'll be able to do this pretty easily. If it came from anywhere the roads are salted for snow, you won't have any fun at all with this.

None of my cars have lived in the snow belt, so they are all pretty easy to work on. I don't even bother with penetrating oil on the shelf because it's not necessary, ever. My dad lives in Iowa. He has a case of PB Blaster in his shop and goes through it routinely. I'll never live there again if for no other reason than this.
The following users liked this post:
tacosmashr (04-08-24)
Old 04-06-24, 07:24 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I have intstalled my Borla system on jack stands a couple of times. I put it on for a couple of years then I decide its time to quiet the car so I go back to stock then a couple of years later I miss the Borla sound so, back on it goes. Each time I have taken the rear bumper off. I also replaced the bolts once, mostly as a pre-emptive measure. O2 sensors are always abit of a pain but still doable. My car is mostly a fair waither car so that helps.
Old 04-08-24, 02:36 PM
Isfisaiah
8th Gear

Originally Posted by newgsman
I have intstalled my Borla system on jack stands a couple of times. I put it on for a couple of years then I decide its time to quiet the car so I go back to stock then a couple of years later I miss the Borla sound so, back on it goes. Each time I have taken the rear bumper off. I also replaced the bolts once, mostly as a pre-emptive measure. O2 sensors are always abit of a pain but still doable. My car is mostly a fair waither car so that helps.
I installed mine this weekend, and I noticed one side it had something to hang on and then other doesn’t. So when I turn on my car here and there it has a thumping sound, wondering if that’s normal to anyone else or maybe I didn’t tighten the exhaust right or anything. I would like to hear y’all’s experience and know if there’s anything to look out for thank you.
Old 04-08-24, 04:27 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I installed mine this weekend, and I noticed one side it had something to hang on and then other doesn’t. So when I turn on my car here and there it has a thumping sound, wondering if that’s normal to anyone else or maybe I didn’t tighten the exhaust right or anything. I would like to hear y’all’s experience and know if there’s anything to look out for thank you.
Can't remember where all the hangars were but mine doesn't bang around or make any peculiar noises.
Old 04-09-24, 10:37 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Do you have pics? Mine doesn't bang around and I don't recall anyone having this issue over the years.
Old 04-09-24, 03:43 PM
Isfisaiah
8th Gear

Originally Posted by msgs350
Do you have pics? Mine doesn't bang around and I don't recall anyone having this issue over the years.

These are the best pics I can take at the moment, it probably won’t show much. But whenever I start the car or drive it it has like a thumping sound almost like a misfire type of sound. On the left it has a hanger holding it up but I did take off a piece of metal that was there to be able to have the exhaust set up there. I also didn’t put the black covers on the bottom fully on its missing a couple of pins so idk if that can be the result. But on the right it’s lower then there other since it has nothing to hang on and didn’t come with one.
Old 04-09-24, 05:12 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

You could bang the pipes with a rubber mallet and listen for ...whatever. A tuning fork can also help locate things.
Old 04-10-24, 09:09 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd get it on a lift or jack it up, pull and push on the piping to see where the pipes are making contact. I noticed when I installed my RR bazooka tips, I had to go further back, loosen up the bands, and adjust the piping a tad for things to line up and/or not rub in certain places.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust installed