IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

960 HP in my garage (good bye ISF)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 08:46 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i keep coming in this thread to admire how nice looking the new body update is on this car. such a beauty.
I had always liked the style of modern 911's, and most newer Porsches as well. I've ridden in several models over the years, and always loved the sportiness of the 911 Turbo, and Turbo S too. I was ready to buy a 2016 Turbo, when pics of the new 2017 991.2 came out, I knew that was worth waiting for. IMHO, the 2017 is the best looking 911 of all.
It is so fun to drive!! Corners like it's on rails, and with 4 wheel drive, it just rips and claws out of corners. Very addicting!

Last edited by ISF_GG; 12-18-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 12:41 PM
mark3is
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

911 nice upgrade there good job
Old 12-18-16, 01:20 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice upgrade, nice choice, nice color, nice...
Old 12-18-16, 01:36 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mr2dave
Nice upgrade, nice choice, nice color, nice...
It's kinda funny................all my cars are varying shades of metallic grey. It is my fav color.
Old 12-19-16, 02:22 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! love the color! (i might be biased )
that's prob the best DD ever
Old 12-21-16, 12:40 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
All I can say is- whether it's a Lexus, a Porsche, or whatever brand that suits the individual....just enjoy the car. George is a fortunate individual to have multiple cars at his disposal, like many here on the forums, and while there will always be something faster or lighter or whatever, the singular mindset when owning a vehicle is that one should enjoy what one buys. It's not about the HP or status symbol or competing with the Joneses- it's simply about enjoying what you have.

Without it being a debate on which car can smash what, at the end of the day, just go out and enjoy cars.

Don't be a stranger, George! See you around!
Thanks Brian. I'll see you guys at the next local meet for sure.
To me, it isn't about what car gives you the most status, it's about what car excites you the most. For me, it's about the body style and design features (engine, HP, sportiness, exterior and interior, etc). It's what drew me to the Lexus brand years ago, and to the ISF specifically. It's also what attracted me to the 911. A great car is like a fine work of art. The more you look at it, the more you admire, and appreciate the beauty of it.
Old 12-21-16, 12:51 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would you be able to do a quick write-up comparing the two? I know they aren't even close to the same class of car but a short comparison on how it behaves on the road, steering feel, brakes, comfort etc. Just all that Porsche racing heritage makes me love them more than any other car brand, driving a cayman, cayenne and 01 boxster just left me so impressed with them all.
Old 12-24-16, 01:02 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nks979
Would you be able to do a quick write-up comparing the two? I know they aren't even close to the same class of car but a short comparison on how it behaves on the road, steering feel, brakes, comfort etc. Just all that Porsche racing heritage makes me love them more than any other car brand, driving a cayman, cayenne and 01 boxster just left me so impressed with them all.
Comparing these two cars is an interesting idea. I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I can start with what things they have in common. They both have a uniqueness that makes them very special. The ISF is a rare breed, a 5.0 L V8 416HP luxury muscle car. The 911 Turbo is also a rare breed, although only a 3.8L 6 cylinder (540HP), the twin turbos make it amazing.
Both have great engines. Both have great transmissions. Both cars are able to put a wide grin on your face, that's for sure. Obviously one has two doors, one has four. The ISF is more utilitarian. It can carry friends, packages, stuff from Costco, etc. the Porsche is truly meant to be driven, and little else.

Ok, with that out of the way, I'll compare the actual driving characteristics.

The stock ISF is fun, reasonably quick, and corners well. The minimal mods I did, made it behave more like a sports car (Borla Exhaust, RR Racing Tune and USRS bushings, F Sport rear sway bar). These few mods made it much more fun to drive (especially with the RR Racing USRS LCA bushings, that transformed the steering into something incredibly sporty, and of course the RR Racing tune, which made the car much quicker), and absolutely improved everything about the car!
If you haven't done these baseline improvements, you should! I could have done many more things to make it even better (headers, RR Racing intake, coil overs). Those upgrades take the ISF to incredible levels of performance.

But at this point my "bucket list" came into play. And I knew it was time to get a 911 Turbo, before I get too old to drive it.

The 911 Turbo takes everything to another level. A very high level. I haven't actually broken the car in yet (for the first 1,200 miles I'm supposed to stay under 4k RPM), but even staying under 4k the car is very, very quick. The full torque of the 911 Turbo kicks in at around 2k RPM! So needless to say, the car just launches with even the slightest throttle tip in. With 4 wheel drive, there is no wheel spin like in the ISF, just pure grunt torque.

If you get the chance, go test drive a newer 911 Turbo, or Turbo S. It will amaze you! It will also change the way you look at almost everything else on the road. Sure there are faster cars, there always will be, but nonetheless the 911 Turbo is incredible. Period.

In Sport Plus mode, with an inch of throttle pedal push, the car wants to go nuclear. I have to be careful while I'm breaking my car in, to paddle shift before 4k RPM, as once the car is on throttle, it just wants to rip straight to redline. Every time. Shifts are lightening quick, with no pause at all between gears. The Porsche PDK transmission is a fascinating piece of engineering. Read about it, and you'll understand what I mean.

I can't wait to see how nuts this car is when it's broken in, and I can play with launch control, and the Sport Chrono overboost functions. The stock Turbo S has been tested doing repeatable 0-60 times of 2.6 seconds (factory published numbers are 2.8 seconds), so I can only guess that my car with only 40HP less, should be only a little slower. That's fast enough for me!
As for cornering, the 911 Turbo is just wicked. Steering input is instant, direct, and amazing. Going into a turn, the car is very stable, very precise, and is always demanding that you go faster. I find myself leaning into the turns, to help my body be able to keep up with this cars cornering performance! The 4 wheel drive, and 4 wheel steering are definitely tuned for very high performance driving and cornering. The 911 literally rips out of a mid-to-high speed corner with such ridiculous precision, that it really doesn't compare to any other car I've ever owned, or driven.
I know I'll never touch the upper limits of the cornering, or acceleration potential of this car on the street. Only taking it to the track and letting it run loose would make that happen.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 12-26-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-25-16, 02:16 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats on the Porsche
Old 12-25-16, 09:36 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Congrats on the Porsche
Thanks! Maybe now I finally have a car as fast as your ISF!

Last edited by ISF_GG; 12-26-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-26-16, 02:25 PM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Porsche!! 911s are beyond amazing!!!
Old 12-26-16, 06:30 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I used to drive around in a bottom of the barrel Porsche Boxster and thought that car was awesome. I can't imagine how amazing a 911 Turbo would be.
Old 12-26-16, 08:17 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I used to drive around in a bottom of the barrel Porsche Boxster and thought that car was awesome. I can't imagine how amazing a 911 Turbo would be.
I've driven a newer Boxster S a few years ago, and it was a great car! I loved it! Incredible handling! Very fast.

Comparing it to a 911 Turbo, it's all about the performance of that engine! The 911 Turbo is stupid fast!
Old 02-26-17, 05:11 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Just an update, I finally found a suitable daily driver, as I didn't Want to DD the 911. Just picked it up Friday...................

2014 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon. 6.2L Supercharged V8, 556HP, 6 piston Brembo brakes with 2 piece front rotors, and Recaro seats.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 02-26-17 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 05:15 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
Just an update, I finally found a suitable daily driver, as I didn't Want to DD the 911. Just picked it up Friday...................

2014 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon. 6.2L Supercharged V8, 556HP, 6 piston Brembo brakes with 2 piece front rotors, Racaro seats.
I'm curious as to why you don't want to DD the 911. Nice choice for a DD though.

Quick Reply: 960 HP in my garage (good bye ISF)