IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

got smoked by a 340i, heat soak detune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 03:35 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
In the video did he blow a tyre at the end or a rod lot of noise and shake, also was that half a mile because if it was 1/4 mile that's a slow car, I timed it at 20 seconds.
Reset your mile average on the dash and go for a highway drive and then reset and do a city drive see what you come up with.
Just by eye, that run didn't look very fast

Im sure I'll get flamed for this non scientific comment, but sometimes when you watch dashcam video you are like, "Damn, that was fast!" Not so much on this video.

Last edited by Jz39; 12-20-16 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 07:42 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PTYIS2
Thanks for the recommendations.....

i just got home from work and connected techstream. KCLV= 12.7 so I must be using a really bad fuel, which is suppose to be 95 octane, but someone told me once that our 95 was like a U.S. 91. So that might explain yesterdays results. Now i need to find if the problem is low octane fuel or something else. Any other variable that i should look into in techstream?

Thanks
This morning i reseted the ECU and its reading KCLV= 15, ill will review it again tonight to see what happen after driving to and from work (around 10 miles), car was feeling a faster.
Old 12-20-16, 07:56 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 different KCLV numbers. One shows at idle through about 3K rpm. Once you hit 3K it will change to another value. The higher RPM number will have the most impact on HP. But remember low KCLV is a result of something else being wrong. 12.7 is the lowest I have seen or can recall being posted anywhere. Also 10 miles of driving won't have much impact on your values unless you are doing consistent high gear / high load pulls most of the time. Search for KCLV on the forum and you will find a few tips and tricks to get the numbers up. If they don't come up you've got other problems to look into.
Old 12-20-16, 08:06 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTYIS2
Thanks for the recommendations.....

i just got home from work and connected techstream. KCLV= 12.7 so I must be using a really bad fuel, which is suppose to be 95 octane, but someone told me once that our 95 was like a U.S. 91. So that might explain yesterdays results. Now i need to find if the problem is low octane fuel or something else. Any other variable that i should look into in techstream?

Thanks
I would run a tank or two of fuel injector cleaner / octane booster. sounds like the car spent most of its like parked, and very little miles on it..? Also, if you haven't already, check the air filter. I have seen mice nests clog up an air filter
Old 12-20-16, 09:29 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Rafi just posted up about KCLV and how to fix it on stubborn cars.
Old 12-20-16, 12:26 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
In the video did he blow a tyre at the end or a rod lot of noise and shake, also was that half a mile because if it was 1/4 mile that's a slow car, I timed it at 20 seconds.
Reset your mile average on the dash and go for a highway drive and then reset and do a city drive see what you come up with.
The video is from "WannaGoFast" in Clayton GA. Apparently, it is a 1/2 mile format (taken from website), not a 1/4 mile. It was done at the "Heaven's Landing Airport" which is approximately 1 mile long. Shows top end is no worse for the 340 than the bottom end in the 1/2 mile.
The following users liked this post:
isfvss (12-20-16)
Old 12-20-16, 06:04 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
There are 2 different KCLV numbers. One shows at idle through about 3K rpm. Once you hit 3K it will change to another value. The higher RPM number will have the most impact on HP. But remember low KCLV is a result of something else being wrong. 12.7 is the lowest I have seen or can recall being posted anywhere. Also 10 miles of driving won't have much impact on your values unless you are doing consistent high gear / high load pulls most of the time. Search for KCLV on the forum and you will find a few tips and tricks to get the numbers up. If they don't come up you've got other problems to look into.
Just checked values after some driving today to-from work, tried to do 7th gear WOT as much as i could. under 3K is now 15.2 and above 3K is 16, so it have improved.

I still have the theory that it might be something with the spark plugs. Something that call my attention is that Idle Spark Advn Crtl #4 was ranging from 5-7 while all other were at 0. Maybe i have an faulty spark plug, which could be since sparks plugs never been changed in 6 years and even its only 8,000 miles, thats my next step, replacing spark plugs.

Thanks
Old 12-20-16, 08:42 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you bought someone elses problem.

just a thought.
Old 12-21-16, 09:51 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So I've been looking for a new fun and fast car and settled on a IS-F. However, it did cross my mind to get a 335 and get a big single turbo and push 700hp. But then I realized that I like my cars reliable first and fast second - that put me back in-lane. Picking up my car this week and do not care that the m235, 340i, and Infiniti Q80 might be faster than me. If your priorities are different, get a different car. The IS-F wasn't the fastest when it came out in 2008 and is definitely not the fastest now.
Old 12-21-16, 01:36 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^Ouch!!
All city and a heavy foot will get you some **** mileage, heh.
Old 12-21-16, 06:47 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB
maybe you bought someone elses problem.

just a thought.
Car has 8k miles? So likely just a ton of short trip cold starts... yeah low miles are great but cars are meant to be driven. They don't like to sit and definitely need exercised regularly. Hell you need to rev above 5k on average for the valves to rotate in their seat to remove potential carbon build up.