IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Quieting Joez Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 04:40 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Quieting Joez Exhaust

Has anyone attempted to quiet the joez a little? I have a young one on the way. Although I don't daily the car I would like to occassionally take the newborn out but the noise might be unbearable for a young child in the back seat. Has anyone done anything to drop the noise down? i.e high flow cats, additional resonators?
Old 12-21-16, 06:55 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

To me, the Joe z is only loud upon initial start up (cold engine), when in manual mode, and above 3-4k rpm in auto.
Idk, maybe keep sport turned off when the little one is in there....Much tougher to get above 4k rpm in auto/no sport button on. I honestly forget the Joe Z is on in the few instances where I drive the F like a granny, lol. Gotta love the 2 personalities the F can give you!

V.
Old 12-21-16, 11:16 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're kid should grow up knowing the surroundings dont quiet down for anyone #KeepOnKeepingON
Old 12-22-16, 08:32 AM
DarthChu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exhaust can be white noise for the little guy, put him to sleep.
Old 12-22-16, 09:20 AM
DroCityLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminence
Has anyone attempted to quiet the joez a little? I have a young one on the way. Although I don't daily the car I would like to occassionally take the newborn out but the noise might be unbearable for a young child in the back seat. Has anyone done anything to drop the noise down? i.e high flow cats, additional resonators?
we can trade for my borla. it will be much more quiet. and id give you $$ on top of course
Old 12-22-16, 09:41 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
To me, the Joe z is only loud upon initial start up (cold engine), when in manual mode, and above 3-4k rpm in auto.
Idk, maybe keep sport turned off when the little one is in there....Much tougher to get above 4k rpm in auto/no sport button on. I honestly forget the Joe Z is on in the few instances where I drive the F like a granny, lol. Gotta love the 2 personalities the F can give you!

V.
I agree with this comment, the JoeZ honestly is very quiet after it is warmed up. I honestly don't hear it at all unless I really go WOT on it. When I first got the car with the JoeZ I was like wow, this thing is super loud, then after a week I got used to it. Same with my PPE headers, it's only been like a week and now it sounds quiet. I think you should be able to leave it on and drive normally without sport mode and it won't be loud.
Old 12-22-16, 10:15 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Well.. assuming the baby seat is in the back - the exhaust is alot louder there than the driver seat. OP, I don't think its worth splicing, spending money, and devaluing the exhaust. This would make you the first to add back the secondary cats. I'd say go back to stock and maybe that will prolong your ownership with the F ;P
Old 12-22-16, 10:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Caymandiver put some sound deadening material under the rear seats and said it did wonders to quiet the car. Might want to PM him.
Old 12-22-16, 10:27 AM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Caymandiver put some sound deadening material under the rear seats and said it did wonders to quiet the car. Might want to PM him.
Thank you.

The noise is more pronounced from the backseat, compared to the front seat. I am looking for more viable options before reverting back to oem.
Old 12-22-16, 10:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminence
Thank you.

The noise is more pronounced from the backseat, compared to the front seat. I am looking for more viable options before reverting back to oem.
That's exactly why he did it after headers and exhaust. His was much louder than just a JoeZ, and he had complaints from his passengers (the ones who matter...)
Old 12-22-16, 10:48 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Hence why Cayman went from JoeZ to Borla for the quietness.
Old 12-22-16, 03:59 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

http://synapseengineering.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=703 try something like this. You don't have to buy the pipes from this company. Just have your local exhaust shop fabricate one and weld it on, one on each side. It works. I heard the Joe Z exhaust of another F with similar add-on, and it was quieter.
Old 12-22-16, 04:20 PM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just have a couple of more kids and these kinds of problems will be the least of your worries.
Old 12-22-16, 05:42 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitabel
after a week I got used to it

That's called "permanent hearing loss".
Thank you to everyone that had suggestions. I do intend to get some ppe headers in. I dont drive the car enough to get use to the noise. I want the power less the headache.
Old 12-22-16, 05:43 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by airvtec
http://synapseengineering.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=703 try something like this. You don't have to buy the pipes from this company. Just have your local exhaust shop fabricate one and weld it on, one on each side. It works. I heard the Joe Z exhaust of another F with similar add-on, and it was quieter.
link doesn't show anything

Quick Reply: Quieting Joez Exhaust