IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I get the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 06:40 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
I ended up with M235i w/ M-PERFORMANCE LSD. It's a newer generation car then e92 M3 and has similar performance. Very tunable, more reliable, zero maintenance (for it's warranty period), etc. It was more cost-effective then ISF
"More reliable" ... is that a joke haha ...
Old 12-31-16, 07:09 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by eddyisf
"More reliable" ... is that a joke haha ...
More reliable then older M3, not ISF. But one reason I picked M235i is the zero repair or maintenance bill in next 2-3 years vs similar priced ISF that would cost me thousands just in maintenance alone
I hate maintenance just as much as I hate repairs......
Old 12-31-16, 11:37 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More reliable then older M3, not ISF. But one reason I picked M235i is the zero repair or maintenance bill in next 2-3 years vs similar priced ISF that would cost me thousands just in maintenance alone
I hate maintenance just as much as I hate repairs......
You'll still be paying for brakes and tires.
Old 12-31-16, 11:53 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by cleethree
You'll still be paying for brakes and tires.
Brakes and rotors are included in free maintenance (depends if you need them replaced before warranty runs out) I also got free 2nd set of wheels and tires including 3 years of wheel and tire protection package..... Basically 2 brand new OEM sets (almost brand new)

Last edited by kolyan; 12-31-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 03:50 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Brakes and rotors are included in free maintenance (depends if you need them replaced before warranty runs out) I also got free 2nd set of wheels and tires including 3 years of wheel and tire protection package..... Basically 2 brand new OEM sets (almost brand new)

In that case I'm selling my isf and getting a bmw ...the maintenance on this car is high Ive spent like 4k in 6 years

Last edited by eddyisf; 12-31-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 03:57 PM
Kingex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking the same !

i want a isf 45k miles 2012 but the Infiniti q50s is growing on me and it's brand new and they run almost at the same price q50s is a lil more but I'm stuck between those 2 . I know this is a Lexus forum but I need opinions Lexus IS my dream car and nothing beats the sound of a isf rolling up ! Need help !
Old 12-31-16, 04:30 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by eddyisf
In that case I'm selling my isf and getting a bmw ...the maintenance on this car is high Ive spent like 4k in 6 years
Not so fast )) Cheap bastards made some cuts to free maintenance program after 2014 or 2015. Now it's useless, brakes/rotors are not included and it's 3 years 36k miles vs 4 years and 50k
Old 12-31-16, 10:19 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C1Forged
If you're looking at something brand new; un-popular opinion, but take a look at the Chevy SS. 4 door saloon with a LS3 putting out 415 hp/tq crank, manual is optional, and comes standard with the Magnetic Ride Control suspension also found in the ZL1 Camaro/Corvette. Its one hell of a car, and can be had just under 50k. And there's big aftermarket support for forced induction if you want to go nuts.
Man the interior in that car just blows.
Old 12-31-16, 10:38 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by toyotabike
Any own or drive the E92 M3 and the ISF? How do these compare
Motor trend and other car reviews say the M3 is much better performer but I dont want to deal with the BMW problems and rod bearing issues
Motor Trend with all due respect can say and write whatever they want, but the 2011 IS-F beat the E92 at VIR or wherever that was.

My friend used to own an E90 (4 door version), very nice car, put together really well. Great V8 sound and you can probably find one with a 6 speed manual. The V8 in the M3 and the V8 in the IS-F have very different torque curves. The IS-F has much better low end response in opinion, I drove the E9X a few times. It's a V8 that likes to rev, I didn't really care for the power delivery. The torque is 295 lbs-ft, 371 lbs-ft in the ISF.

The big thing here will be reliability and cost of ownership since they are out of warranty. Better find yourself a good BMW mechanic and hope things don't break. I always hear all the loaner cars at the BMW dealership my friend went to were on duty. What does that tell you? I can't really judge his particular E90 since he sold it when he got divorced and the car only had about 50,000 miles on the clock. Other than his rear diff and some suspension issue, all was well. I know they use Castrol 0W-60 and it costs an arm and a leg. You can use other oils in that grade.

Moving on, the Corvette. I recently detailed a C6......getting in and out of it was a pain in the ***, and I'm 5'6. The interior is very very cheap IMO, everything from the fit and finish, materials, buttons. Not impressive. I recall the C5 was even worse with the door handles. Not arguing about what power they make or the aftermarket support.

The IS-F as other owners mention is in a different league than the IS-350. WAAAAY more power, different gear box, bigger brakes, different interior. The car does everything pretty well, except gas consumption, but you are not buying this car to save on gas. The top end performance is just awesome. The car final drive ratio is 2.93, with the 5.0L V8 and the 8 speed gear box, 100 MPH is a walk in the park, and things just keep increasing from there and on.

If you can find a 2012 to a 2014 in good shape, you won't regret it.
Old 12-31-16, 10:43 PM
2URGSE
Racer

OP said he doesn't race or track. Talking about triple digits makes no sense whatsoever when most driving is 0 to 80.
Speak for yourself....
Old 12-31-16, 10:56 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Speak for yourself....
+1, I don't race or track my car but how hard it pulls in the 100s is one of my favorite parts about it.
Old 12-31-16, 11:02 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by nks979
+1, I don't race or track my car but how hard it pulls in the 100s is one of my favorite parts about it.
Who wouldn't with a car like that.
Old 01-01-17, 06:41 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Motor Trend with all due respect can say and write whatever they want, but the 2011 IS-F beat the E92 at VIR or wherever that was.

My friend used to own an E90 (4 door version), very nice car, put together really well. Great V8 sound and you can probably find one with a 6 speed manual. The V8 in the M3 and the V8 in the IS-F have very different torque curves. The IS-F has much better low end response in opinion, I drove the E9X a few times. It's a V8 that likes to rev, I didn't really care for the power delivery. The torque is 295 lbs-ft, 371 lbs-ft in the ISF.

The big thing here will be reliability and cost of ownership since they are out of warranty. Better find yourself a good BMW mechanic and hope things don't break. I always hear all the loaner cars at the BMW dealership my friend went to were on duty. What does that tell you? I can't really judge his particular E90 since he sold it when he got divorced and the car only had about 50,000 miles on the clock. Other than his rear diff and some suspension issue, all was well. I know they use Castrol 0W-60 and it costs an arm and a leg. You can use other oils in that grade.

Moving on, the Corvette. I recently detailed a C6......getting in and out of it was a pain in the ***, and I'm 5'6. The interior is very very cheap IMO, everything from the fit and finish, materials, buttons. Not impressive. I recall the C5 was even worse with the door handles. Not arguing about what power they make or the aftermarket support.

The IS-F as other owners mention is in a different league than the IS-350. WAAAAY more power, different gear box, bigger brakes, different interior. The car does everything pretty well, except gas consumption, but you are not buying this car to save on gas. The top end performance is just awesome. The car final drive ratio is 2.93, with the 5.0L V8 and the 8 speed gear box, 100 MPH is a walk in the park, and things just keep increasing from there and on.

If you can find a 2012 to a 2014 in good shape, you won't regret it.

Oil is 10w60, roughly $50 more per oil change....Not a big deal

I haven't had much luck with indy shops around me iether for BMW or Lexus servicing. All want more $$$ then the stealership ))

Ps. BMW CPO cars could be pretty cheap if you get a deal. That's extra 2 years and 100k mile warranty added to original. I bought 2 of my CPOs (including M3) for a trade-in price if not less.

Last edited by kolyan; 01-01-17 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 11:50 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Oil is 10w60, roughly $50 more per oil change....Not a big deal

I haven't had much luck with indy shops around me iether for BMW or Lexus servicing. All want more $$$ then the stealership ))

Ps. BMW CPO cars could be pretty cheap if you get a deal. That's extra 2 years and 100k mile warranty added to original. I bought 2 of my CPOs (including M3) for a trade-in price if not less.
My bad, it's 10W-60.

Here's one I found on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=27526&modelCode1=M3&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D27526%26modelCode1%3DM3%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26mmt%3D%255BBMW%255BM3%255B%255D%255D%255B%255D%255D%26startYear%3D2011%26makeCode1%3DBMW%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2011%26modelCodeList%3DM3%26searchRadius%3D0%26makeCodeList%3DBMW&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2011&numRecords=25&makeCode1=BMW&firstRecord=0&endYear=2011&searchRadius=0&listingId=447231768&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M3

Most people will not drive 100K in 2 years, my dilemma with a used E90 would be, what happens DURING and AFTER the 2 years. Nobody wants to pay for a car that has to go to the dealership all the time. What happens after 2 years? Will the cost of ownership go through the roof if things break, and what systems are most likely to break?

I am not discounting the M3 as a great car, but reliability isn't one of their strengths. You can pay for the CPO, but eventually it runs out. I once had an argument with an M3 owner and he keeps trading in the car for the newer one when the warranty runs out. It just made me laugh my *** off. So not only the owner takes the depreciation on the car, he also loses in the trade in (since the dealership needs to make some profit flipping the car).

Bottom line, I can say with confidence the OP can keep a 2012 IS-F more than 2 years and beyond with a lot less likelihood something will break.
Old 01-01-17, 12:20 PM
kolyan
Advanced

My bad, it's 10W-60.

Here's one I found on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=27526&modelCode1=M3&referrer=%2Fc........

Most people will not drive 100K in 2 years, my dilemma with a used E90 would be, what happens DURING and AFTER the 2 years. Nobody wants to pay for a car that has to go to the dealership all the time. What happens after 2 years? Will the cost of ownership go through the roof if things break, and what systems are most likely to break?

I am not discounting the M3 as a great car, but reliability isn't one of their strengths. You can pay for the CPO, but eventually it runs out. I once had an argument with an M3 owner and he keeps trading in the car for the newer one when the warranty runs out. It just made me laugh my *** off. So not only the owner takes the depreciation on the car, he also loses in the trade in (since the dealership needs to make some profit flipping the car).

Bottom line, I can say with confidence the OP can keep a 2012 IS-F more than 2 years and beyond with a lot less likelihood something will break.
Its 2 years extension to factory warranty, so the warranty is 6 years/100k miles from purchasing date. Best deal is to buy a 2 year old CPO car with 30k miles or so. This way you still have 4 years of warranty plus 1-2 years of free maintenance left.

I am not sure about M3/M5 reliability especially past 100k miles. Some owners swear by it while others have ton of issues. I did not consider E92 M3 for the same reasons, I dont trust those cars.
With M235i (and now with M240i) pretty close in performance it was a better deal, more reliable, and cheaper to maintain. Not sure about issues past 100k though.....until 50k it should be as reliable as ISF

Depends how long you want to keep the car......my '14 M235i with 8-9k miles was the same price as ''11-12 ISF with 50-55k. I am not expecting any issues for another 40k miles even with Stage 1 (370hp/390lb.tq). Engine is beefed up from regular N55, 2014 is the latest revision, the transmission is the same as in M2......should be ok

Last edited by kolyan; 01-01-17 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I get the IS F